PDA

View Full Version : Bike tyre NEWS - I've got the gossip!

Happybug
26th May 2009, 13:27
Cyclespot Honda in Barry's Point Road are starting doing tyres. :clap: They're doing the bridgestone's which i hear Tread's can't do. Also, by the end of June Cyclespot are supposed to be doing WOF's as well :soon:. They reckon competition is great for the consumer, so here's hoping.

vifferman
26th May 2009, 13:43
Yay!

Not.
Bridgestones? Pfffffft...
Cyclesnot? Pffffffffffffffffffftttt......

Hitcher
26th May 2009, 13:45
Has Cyclespot not had a workshop until now?

vifferman
26th May 2009, 14:35
Has Cyclespot not had a workshop until now?
Yes, they've just not really bothered competing with Cycletreads, which is just across the road.
In fact, they don't usually really bother at all. I don't think they're interested in such esoteric concepts as customer service, return custom, the customer is always right, etc. More sort of "We're happy with our side of this current reaming, now fuck off and don't bother us anymore!"

Hitcher
26th May 2009, 14:59
A workshop that doesn't do tyres or warrants? How odd.

vifferman
26th May 2009, 15:27
A workshop that doesn't do tyres or warrants? How odd.
They might do tyres - dunno; I'm not a customer.
As for WOFs, they're purely a service, not a money-making proposition, so they'd have no interest in that either.

R6_kid
26th May 2009, 15:29
I'm pretty sure Cycletreads do Bridgestones. In fact I'm certain they do. They just can't do super-awesome deals on them like they can with Michelins.

I've only ever had shit service from Cyclespot, apart from one occasion where it was about average.

Morcs
26th May 2009, 15:33
Problem is with getting tyres from any normal bikeshop is that generally they wont give killer deals on them.

Cyclespot have done WOFs for a while I think?
Treads do WOFs now anyway.

At least with treads, they dont tell you 'we'll have to book you in'.

Hitcher
26th May 2009, 18:46
I bought a set of Avon Storms off Cycletreads in March 2008. They were just fantastic. Drove in, bought, fitted, drove out. Bloody marvellous! Good price too.

ArcherWC
27th May 2009, 07:46
I bought a set of Avon Storms off Cycletreads in March 2008. They were just fantastic. Drove in, bought, fitted, drove out. Bloody marvellous! Good price too.

After talking to Grant yesturday, this is exactly the sort of service they plan to be providing.
He also said to put the word out that they WILL beat any other tyre price offered

vifferman
27th May 2009, 08:15
I bought a set of Avon Storms off Cycletreads in March 2008.
"From", Mr Hitcher. :nono:

He also said to put the word out that they WILL beat any other tyre price offered
But they already charge more'n anyone else... what are they gonna do - double their prices? :confused:

Hitcher
27th May 2009, 09:08

Based on my experience they will have their work cut out to beat Cycletreads on price.

I am surprised that so many bike shops retail their tyres. Wholesale plus fitting costs seems like a more sensible strategy to me -- workshops should be about repeat business and good deals on tyres is one thing that will keep punters coming back.

roogazza
27th May 2009, 10:10
Where's Auckland ?

ynot slow
27th May 2009, 10:13
Based on my experience they will have their work cut out to beat Cycletreads on price.

I am surprised that so many bike shops retail their tyres. Wholesale plus fitting costs seems like a more sensible strategy to me -- workshops should be about repeat business and good deals on tyres is one thing that will keep punters coming back.

Agree with return visits,when was the last time you paid retail for car tyres?

When the ol GSX needed tyres I checked most outlets,went to New Plymouth as well due to bias ply types,decided sport demons,as one guy said not much choice in sizes,they didn't stock s/demons,but could get them,they had avons ($450-525set)off hand,another sport demon outlet said $425 plus fitting,had a price from my local shop of $350 fitted a month or so earlier,went back and price was same,not bad for a small town shop,as cheap as cycletreds but then needed fitting,no brainer shopped local.

So much that when new tyres are needed will give the guys back home a call first,even though a 320km return trip,quite a few shops have common sizes in stock so no worries there,if it's in stock sell it is the motto now,or should be,no use having a great range of tyres at retail type prices if all they do is decorate the tyre racks.

Devil
27th May 2009, 11:40
I'm pretty sure Cycletreads do Bridgestones. In fact I'm certain they do. They just can't do super-awesome deals on them like they can with Michelins.

I've only ever had shit service from Cyclespot, apart from one occasion where it was about average.

The distribution of Bridgestone tyres has changed, cycletreads definately do them, but i'm not sure how cheap they can.

As for cyclespot service, yeah agree.

discotex
27th May 2009, 12:52
Wonder if they'll have the BT-003RS in stock by summer

ArcherWC
27th May 2009, 17:02
Yep they can get them, they have already supplied for someone else.
Give them a call

Happybug
28th May 2009, 18:55
Until you give them a go, you won't know how they go. So, why not leave past experience in the past and give them a go. You never know, you might end up with a nice surprise.

SixPackBack
28th May 2009, 21:13

Power ones look marginally more 'rubbery'...certainly less 'tready' than the 003rs

discotex
28th May 2009, 22:31
Power ones look marginally more 'rubbery'...certainly less 'tready' than the 003rs

Yeah I'm thinking it's a toss up between Power One's and 003RS for my summer tyres. Will come down to who's got the best deals I think.

The Power One's look like they wouldn't handle any water on the road which puts me off a bit.