PDA

View Full Version : Remove an old gasket - how?

CookMySock
29th May 2009, 17:14
I have the stator cover off my GT650R and since I wrecked the old gasket I bought a new one for it.

BUT the old gasket is stuck REAL TIGHT to the cover. I started slicing it off with a stanley knife, but its just way too easy to take a slice of aluminium with it.

How do I remove the gasket without harming the alloy cover ?

Thanks,
Steve

robinm
29th May 2009, 17:17
CRC gasket stripper or a rotary wire brush, or a glass scraper. The choice is yours.

tri boy
29th May 2009, 17:21
Dribble petrol onto the paper, and let it soften the gasket bit by bit.
An old fork oil bottle, with the plastic tube from a chain oil spray can through the bottle cap makes a great "dribbler".
Some gaskets can be hard as hell. A keenly sharpened broken hacksaw blade is a better scraper than a stanley blade.
Good luck.

YellowDog
29th May 2009, 17:27
The last time I did one of these I used a fine chisel head that would fit inside the groove. It was really tough getting the last small bits off. I then gave it a good clean with white spirit.

I suspect that the first soaking it in petrol (or white spirit) suggestion is a good one.

cs363
29th May 2009, 18:57
CRC gasket stripper or a rotary wire brush, or a glass scraper. The choice is yours.

What he said, no need to reinvent the wheel. Gasket stripper makes the job really easy, especially with a proper gasket scraper. Both handy items to keep in the shed.

CookMySock
29th May 2009, 19:06
Cool, I've never heard of gasket stripper. Will get some. I gave it a squirt with engine degreaser.. dunno what that will do..

Thanks heaps.
Steve

Skunk
29th May 2009, 19:08
I soak mine in a bath of white spirits/petrol/kero overnight.

cs363
29th May 2009, 19:12
Cool, I've never heard of gasket stripper. Will get some. I gave it a squirt with engine degreaser.. dunno what that will do..

Thanks heaps.
Steve

This is what you're looking for: http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/Gasket+Stripper?openDocument

Supercheap or Repco should have it.

Not saying some of the other methods mentioned won't work after a fashion, but this stuff works straight away and without risk of damaging soft aluminium cases and the like. Mechanics use it because they want to get the job done quickly and efficiently with minimum hassle.

CookMySock
29th May 2009, 19:15
This is what you're looking for: http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/Gasket+Stripper?openDocument

Supercheap or Repco should have it.
[...] this stuff works straight away and without risk of damaging soft aluminium cases and the like. Mechanics use it because they want to get the job done quickly and efficiently with minimum hassle.As do I. Anything not done is a hurry is not worth doing! :Punk:

Thanks fo' that. Will go see the friendly team at whakas repco tomorrow.

Steve

classic zed
29th May 2009, 20:25
Iv used spray on oven cleaner before on engines, its great for softening gaskets and eating carbon :yes:

cs363
29th May 2009, 20:31
Iv used spray on oven cleaner before on engines, its great for softening gaskets and eating carbon :yes:

:mellow: hmm..it would probably work on cast iron etc, but you'd want to watch that stuff on aluminium, it's highly corrosive - most oven cleaners have warnings on the can not to use it on aluminium. Though there are a few brands that use a less corrosive recipe. I've got to admit I've found oven cleaner to be a useful item for cleaning off carbon and oxidation etc in the past.
But for anyone that hasn't used it before just use care, maybe spot check it first! :)

classic zed
29th May 2009, 20:41
:mellow: hmm..it would probably work on cast iron etc, but you'd want to watch that stuff on aluminium, it's highly corrosive - most oven cleaners have warnings on the can not to use it on aluminium. Though there are a few brands that use a less corrosive recipe. I've got to admit I've found oven cleaner to be a useful item for cleaning off carbon and oxidation etc in the past.
But for anyone that hasn't used it before just use care, maybe spot check it first! :)

Iv never had a problem cleaning pistons with it or cylinder heads for that matter.

cs363
29th May 2009, 20:52
Iv never had a problem cleaning pistons with it or cylinder heads for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely works especially on harder, unpolished/unpainted alloys such as those, my post was intended as a warning for a noob that might just spray it all over their polished/painted engine cases or whatever and get a nasty surprise! :)

And besides, whilst it works to a degree as I said above - why reinvent the wheel? CRC make a very good product that isn't overly expensive and that is designed specifically for the job DB is doing.

Products not intended for a specific job can be dangerous in the wrong hands and I would hate to think of someone destroying components on their bike with a highly corrosive substance like oven cleaner, just because they have blindly followed some well intentioned advice off an internet forum without being aware of the possible dangers.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. :)

CookMySock
29th May 2009, 20:58
Products not intended for a specific job can be dangerous in the wrong hands and I would hate to think of someone destroying components on their bike with a highly corrosive substance like oven cleaner, just because they have blindly followed some well intentioned advice off an internet forum without being aware of the possible dangers.Yep, good cause for concern. I'll spot test with the oven cleaner and report back..

Steve

Paul in NZ
29th May 2009, 21:37

And - in some cases - alloy.... approach with caution...

Motu
29th May 2009, 21:46
- alloy.... approach with caution...

Alloy is not aluminium.It's the other shit it's alloyed with that will disappear in fizzing bubbles.So long as it's quality castings,it should be ok....this is a quality bike I'm sure.....

Ixion
29th May 2009, 21:49
Always found a gas axe does a good job of getting rid of old gaskets. :devil2: Especially on magnesium cases

cs363
29th May 2009, 22:04
And - in some cases - alloy.... approach with caution...

Alloy is not aluminium.It's the other shit it's alloyed with that will disappear in fizzing bubbles.So long as it's quality castings,it should be ok....this is a quality bike I'm sure.....

:laugh: Well regardless of the metal, and being a Hyosung which whilst Korean seem to be improving in leaps and bounds quality wise, I think the key here is caution if using substances like this.
The mere fact that there are so many variations of alloys and also formulations for oven cleaners would make me cautious - many oven cleaners use sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) as a main ingredient, this is also the main ingredient of some drain cleaners which also use aluminium flakes to create the churning action (reaction of these two when added to water) that clears drains... :shit:

Here's a sad tale of one guy that used oven cleaner on his HD:

http://hdforums.com/forum/detailing/229259-oven-cleaner-on-aluminum-my-worst-nightmare.html

Always found a gas axe does a good job of getting rid of old gaskets. :devil2: Especially on magnesium cases

:lol: conjures up quite a picture.... :eek:

Anyway, to summarise....always use caution when using unfamiliar chemicals on your bike whatever they are!

Paul in NZ
29th May 2009, 22:07

Possibly - depends on the oven cleaner. I was going to say aluminium but until you spelt it I waus havin trouble... Often there are specific warnings on the can about aluminium

Motu
29th May 2009, 22:38
The genuine Mitsubishi top end cleaner for GDI engines is basically oven cleaner - we spray a whole can down the throttle body,and leave it there over lunch.It foams and stinks just like Mister Muscle....and I know engine reconditioners use oven cleaner to clean GDI heads,pistons and manifolds.But obviously the alloys Mitsubishi use in GDI engines are oblivious to oven cleaner.

Use everything with caution,blah,blah,blah.I remember the the Repco rep who demonstrated the latest thing - CRC gasket cleaner.He held the can up to the gasket and pushed the nozzle - he had it aimed wrong and it went straight into his eye.From his screaming reaction I got the impression it was pretty strong stuff.

classic zed
29th May 2009, 23:32
The genuine Mitsubishi top end cleaner for GDI engines is basically oven cleaner - we spray a whole can down the throttle body,and leave it there over lunch.It foams and stinks just like Mister Muscle....and I know engine reconditioners use oven cleaner to clean GDI heads,pistons and manifolds.But obviously the alloys Mitsubishi use in GDI engines are oblivious to oven cleaner.

Use everything with caution,blah,blah,blah.I remember the the Repco rep who demonstrated the latest thing - CRC gasket cleaner.He held the can up to the gasket and pushed the nozzle - he had it aimed wrong and it went straight into his eye.From his screaming reaction I got the impression it was pretty strong stuff.

I emptied about 4 cans of oven cleaner into the inlet manifold of a V6 GDI Pajero to clean the damn thing. What a pile of crap that engine is:laugh:

Iv never seen an engine build up so much oily gunge in the manifold and inlet runners:no:

The Pastor
30th May 2009, 13:18
the stripper (oven cleaner) and a toothbrush and a scraper work well.

dont use pointy shit to scratch it off, as you'll be scratching the case rather than the gasket. Still nothing hylomar cant fix :D (must get around to replacing my 80% hylomar gasket one day...)

scumdog
30th May 2009, 15:43
Here's a sad tale of one guy that used oven cleaner on his HD:

:lol: conjures up quite a picture.... :eek:

Anyway, to summarise....always use caution when using unfamiliar chemicals on your bike whatever they are!

Heard of a guy 'disposing' of a pair of alloy cylinder heads in a caustic bath!!

He left them there for a day or two and only recovered valves, valve seats and valvesprings and that was about it!!:shit:

CookMySock
30th May 2009, 19:00
Ok I got me a can of Gasket Remover from Repco. There is a big red warning on the tin about how quickly it removes paint. They are NOT JOKING AROUND when they use the word "instant." Be careful with this shit. Anyway, it took the gasket off like it was never there. Good stuff.

I didn't test the oven cleaner.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

LBD
30th May 2009, 19:35
Take the bulk of with the stanley knife, careful not to go through to the aluminum, Then lay a sheet of fine wet and dry on an flat surface, ie glass or granite, place gasket face down on sandpaper and move in figure 8.

Keeps the gasket face dead flat.

Don't use a rotary wire brush, this damages soft aluminum faster than you can look at the damage and say Bugger.

Caution with strippers, read instructions carefull regading use on Aluminum...some are suitable.

Max Preload
30th May 2009, 20:25
Take the bulk of with the stanley knife

I just use the blade and drag it across the face to finish rather than try to get the knife under the gasket and cut it off.

CookMySock
30th May 2009, 21:07
Take the bulk of with the stanley knife, careful not to go through to the aluminum, Then lay a sheet of fine wet and dry on an flat surface, ie glass or granite, place gasket face down on sandpaper and move in figure 8.Stuff that. That would have taken hours.

Caution with strippers, read instructions carefull regading use on Aluminum...some are suitable.Yes indeed. No warning about aluminium on this stuff.

I just use the blade and drag it across the face to finish rather than try to get the knife under the gasket and cut it off.Thats what I tried. Bits of the gasket were coming off with shiny streaks of aluminium in them. Not good.

Trust me, this gasket stripper shit made the near-impossible into the trivial.

Steve

kevfromcoro
30th May 2009, 21:16
Ok I got me a can of Gasket Remover from Repco. There is a big red warning on the tin about how quickly it removes paint. They are NOT JOKING AROUND when they use the word "instant." Be careful with this shit. Anyway, it took the gasket off like it was never there. Good stuff.

I didn't test the oven cleaner.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Watch that stuff... does a good job..
i use it all the time at work.
dont get it in your eyes.
melted the plastic lens of my safety glasses.

CookMySock
30th May 2009, 21:24
[...] dont get it in your eyes. melted the plastic lens of my safety glasses.I bet. It's spooky enough just watching it come out of the can... fizz fizz fizz.. o.O !

Steve

Max Preload
1st June 2009, 16:36
Thats what I tried. Bits of the gasket were coming off with shiny streaks of aluminium in them. Not good.

I can't see how - it's not cutting, it's scraping.

speedpro
1st June 2009, 21:34
Oven cleaner and gasket stripper have the same active ingredients, the caustic ones anyway. Don't spray it all over the place as it is nasty stuff. I spray a bit into an ice cream container and then dab it on exactly where I want it using a cotton bud. I've also found a putty knife is a great tool for scraping it off.

Oven cleaner is heaps cheaper plus you can get brownie points with the leftovers.

cs363
1st June 2009, 22:07
Oven cleaner and gasket stripper have the same active ingredients, the caustic ones anyway.

Err....no they don't;

One (oven cleaner) uses caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) as an active ingredient (http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001041) while the other (gasket stripper) uses dichloromethane as it's active ingredient ( http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/(MSDS)/GASKET%20STRIPPER%205021%20ncr/$FILE/MSDS.pdf)

speedpro
1st June 2009, 22:18
I stand corrected

CookMySock
2nd June 2009, 09:36
I can't see how - it's not cutting, it's scraping.Trust me, no amount of scraping was going to remove this sucker. I've dealt with all sorts of gaskets, and this mother was down TIGHT.

The gasket stripper is the lazy mans way.

Steve

vifferman
2nd June 2009, 09:51
Hmmm....
Wish I'd known about it when I replaced my clutch cover gasket. The asiest thing to do would've been to have left the gasket in place, as it was intact and undamaged. However, I'd already imported a gasket, so I scraped it off with a glass scraper. Worked fine, but took ages and needed a lot of care to not mark the surface.

cs363
3rd June 2009, 13:20
I stand corrected

Jeez....good on ya, made me think I wasn't on KB for a minute there... :lol:

cs363
3rd June 2009, 13:23
Trust me, no amount of scraping was going to remove this sucker. I've dealt with all sorts of gaskets, and this mother was down TIGHT.

The gasket stripper is the lazy mans way.

Steve

Lazy? :gob: I like to think I'm conserving my energy.... :lol:

CookMySock
3rd June 2009, 14:46
Yeah bro, waiting for an opportune moment..

Steve