PDA

View Full Version : What's going on?

jetboy
11th June 2009, 08:18
Hi guys,

Finally got my bike up and running yesterday, the best feeling in the world after a few months of engine swapping!

But there is a problem.

It started up fine yesterday afternoon at about 3pm, rode it around the block and then put it in the garage I turned it off with the Kill Switch. I went out and came back about 7pm, bolted a few fairings and windscreen on, rejoyced at how cool it looked, put on my fresh new gear (thanks Mr Motorcycles in Pukekohe), wheeled the bike out of the garage, tried to start the thing and it won't bloody start!
:Oi:

The starter motor works and it sounds like it's trying to start but can only muster the occasional splutter and a backfire. It noticed a faint smell of petrol.

Things I have checked:
- Fuel tap set to on
- Gas in tank (plenty)
- Kill switch is off
- Tips of the plugs are moist with gas and not fouling

I thought I may have flooded it by possibly turning the throttle as I was wheeling the thing in and out of the garage, so left it alone overnight and tried it this morning with same result, a small backfire.

What else can I do? From what I can see, the only mechanical change from when it was running sweet till now was using the kill switch (as opposed to the key) to turn the bike off.

How do I solve this problem? I am aching to go for a ride tonight (read: more desperate for a ride than a 21 year old virgin is for a root) and am hoping that the solution is something I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!!!
Tim

elevenhundred
11th June 2009, 11:25
I had the same problem once, I never used the kill switch then one day I did and after that the bike wouldn't start. It turned out the kill switch had corrosion on it, after a bit of CRC and flicking the switch on and off multiple times it was all good again (I later disassembled the switch and cleaned the contacts with some 1200 grit sandpaper to make it didn't happen again).

This may or may not be the situation with your bike but it is worth checking :)

jetboy
11th June 2009, 11:49
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

This may be a possibility as it worked mint as before hand.

Dealer
11th June 2009, 11:49
if the kill switch thing dont work, try some engine start down the carb or clean the old fuel out of the carb. might be crappy fuel from sitting for a couple of months, or crap blocking the jets.
Also try replacing the condenser (if you have one), cheap item but important to ignition system.

CookMySock
11th June 2009, 12:37
My vote is for the kill switch also. Unplug it and try again.

If you are unlucky it might have damaged the ignition somewhere. I was told not to use the kill switch unless absolutely necessary. Why do we even HAVE kill switches ?

Steve

jetboy
11th June 2009, 13:16
Cheers all!

Went home at lunchtime to have another look at it (I work 5min from home), pulled out one spark plug but left it in the ignition sleeve or whatever its called and started it up to see if it sparked, which it did not.

Bought some CRC so will unplug the switch, douse in CRC and see if that works.

Note to self: do NOT use kill switch to turn bike of again!

Ixion
11th June 2009, 13:28
I had the same problem once, I never used the kill switch then one day I did and after that the bike wouldn't start. It turned out the kill switch had corrosion on it, after a bit of CRC and flicking the switch on and off multiple times it was all good again (I later disassembled the switch and cleaned the contacts with some 1200 grit sandpaper to make it didn't happen again).

This may or may not be the situation with your bike but it is worth checking :)

+1. had this happen a few times. usually is when the kill switch has not been sued for ages (I hardly ever use them), then is. The contacts corrode because they're not being used. So long as you leave it alone it's fine but use it and it won't switch back off (or on - some "kill" switches are not).

You have to remove the key anyway, so why bother with an extra switch action

jetboy
11th June 2009, 13:36
+1. had this happen a few times. usually is when the kill switch has not been sued for ages (I hardly ever use them), then is. The contacts corrode because they're not being used. So long as you leave it alone it's fine but use it and it won't switch back off (or on - some "kill" switches are not).

You have to remove the key anyway, so why bother with an extra switch action
Thanks Ixion,

I've read a few of your technical posts so reckon you know what you're talking about.
Some say that using the switch is the 'correct' method to turn off the bike...what's the difference between using the switch and using the key?

Maha
11th June 2009, 13:46
kill switch has not been sued for ages

Sued for killing??

MSTRS
11th June 2009, 13:55
Thanks Ixion,
Some say that using the switch is the 'correct' method to turn off the bike...what's the difference between using the switch and using the key?

The key disconnects all electrics, whereas the kill switch may only isolate the ignition circuit. As Ixion says, you are (likely) going to turn off and remove the key anyway, so the kill switch is a redundant action.

Dealer
11th June 2009, 13:57
Try bypassing the killswitch altogether. that will tell you if it is or not.

CookMySock
11th June 2009, 14:25
The key disconnects all electrics, whereas the kill switch may only isolate the ignition circuit.The kill switch usually shorts part of the ignition circuitry to ground (the high voltage coil of the CDI I think.) Basically, its a fairly blunt thing to do to any electrical circuit, but it's an effective way to "kill" it.

Steve