PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell from engine?

hang0ver
12th June 2009, 17:20
Hey there,

Have noticed over the last few rides, a burning smell (pretty much like burnt clutch), wafting up from underneath/around the radiator on the blade.

In this wet weather it also seems like more steam is coming off the radiator/engine front then would be normal? Maybe its just colder then I think?? In the dry = No steam whatsoever, but the same smell.

Gauge shows normal operating temperatures, and engine is running fine with no apparent issues...

Anyone shed any light? Thanks for ya time...

H

cambridgedan
12th June 2009, 17:28
sorry i cant be any help but i think this guy had a bit of a burning smell to haha http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/3559740238_5e61a298a6.jpg

klyong82
12th June 2009, 17:51
Have you got engine oil leaked to your pipes might cause a slight burning smell. Or have you used any oily solvent to clean the pipes lately? or maybe some plastic debris caught on the pipes melting it causing an irritating smell.

Steam I think it is just the cold weather.

CookMySock
12th June 2009, 18:16
Prolly something on the exhaust.

Steve

Mom
12th June 2009, 18:22
In this wet weather it also seems like more steam is coming off the radiator/engine front then would be normal? Maybe its just colder then I think?? In the dry = No steam whatsoever, but the same smell.
Gauge shows normal operating temperatures, and engine is running fine with no apparent issues...

Steam off your engine at times in cold/wet weather is nothing to be worried about, it is cold after all, and your engine is warm, add some rain and hey presto you have steam!

You think it is clutch smell? Do you have any symptoms of your clutch not operating as it should? Do you hold your bike on the edge of taking off (ride the clutch) on small inclines? Are you impatient and do the same at lights? That will burn clutch plates eventually.

Over the weekend, put your bike on the stand with the engine running and let it warm up, then sniff it :blip: Well you know what I mean, will give you a better idea of where the smell is coming from too. The exhausts are always a good place to start.

Katman
12th June 2009, 18:28
How's your coolant level?

Anti-freeze on a hot exhaust has a particularly acrid aroma.

hang0ver
12th June 2009, 20:26
Thanks for the replies guys/gals,

* Coolant level is normal
* Haven't been cleaning with oily solvents
* Clutch seems ok, not riding it anymore than usual (never known a worn clutch to let off that aroma during placid riding?)

Will have to have a good look this weekend to find the source... Could be my cheap-ass chinese plastics finally melting like I was told..! Just a little worried its something more sinister...

YellowDog
12th June 2009, 20:40
The problem has to be 'in the wet' related.

Why don't you try running it in the dry with no smell and then gently spray water to see if it starts to smell.

You could then be more specific about where you spray to get the smell and diagnose the cause of the problem.

hang0ver
12th June 2009, 20:42
The problem has to be 'in the wet' related.

Why don't you try running it in the dry with no smell and then gently spray water to see if it starts to smell.

You could then be more specific about where you spray to get the smell and diagnose the cause of the problem.

Its does still have the same odor in the dry, just thought it was steaming a bit more in the wet...

YellowDog
12th June 2009, 20:48
Good you have noticed this early before any damage.

I presume you have checked all the obvious stuff.

Does it leave anything on the ground overnight?

davebullet
12th June 2009, 21:01
What about the brake pads? I know you said around the radiator, but what condition are the rotors / pads in? Any odd discolouration?

Did the symptom start around the same time as any modifications, servicing etc... on the bike?

Kwaka14
12th June 2009, 21:08
what does your oil smell like? a worn or slipping clutch often gives the oil a "clutch" odour

CookMySock
12th June 2009, 21:42
Maybe its wheels are nearly on fire? How fast do you ride? LOL

Steve

hang0ver
12th June 2009, 22:13
Maybe its wheels are nearly on fire? How fast do you ride? LOL

Steve

Haha... No chance of that...

Doesn't appear to be leaving any deposits, but I'll keep an eye on that over the next couple...

Nothing major done recently... New tyres in the last month, serviced about 3-5K back.

I know that my rear pads are 2/3rds worn... front ok, but the smell is there upon start up before even riding (after idling for 5-10secs).

My clutch seems ok but It could be towards the end of its life span...

Thanks for the troubleshooting help

jonbuoy
12th June 2009, 22:27
Maybe a caliper is dragging and you can smell brake pad? Smillar to burning clutch.

YellowDog
12th June 2009, 22:37
As someone has already said, you might have dropped something plastic that has got stuck (plastic bag / bottle top etc.) and you can smell it melting under the heat. You may have unwhittingly picked it up from the road.

hang0ver
12th June 2009, 22:42
As someone has already said, you might have dropped something plastic that has got stuck (plastic bag / bottle top etc.) and you can smell it melting under the heat. You may have unwhittingly picked it up from the road.

True, yeah I will have a good look tomorrow when I get some time... It may be that 'heat protecting' cover on the inside of my chinese fairings...

Its quite funny when I'm sitting at traffic lights when I'm leaning down the front sniffing looking in my fairings... People must have a good laugh.

klyong82
16th June 2009, 23:10
You sure its not your fried rectifier which usually produced some kind of rotten egg smell (burnt cables)....check erm..

hang0ver
17th June 2009, 19:39
Hey guys... Was inadvertent helped by some drunk fuckwit to diagnose the problem...

So my bike got kicked over Saturday night... Removed the (shattered) front fairing Sunday, had a good look underneath and noticed the mount had snapped on my guard behind the wheel (between the lower fairings) and it had pushed back against the headers getting a bit of melting action.

So I should have picked it earlier, but hey I'm a dumbass & if ya knew me you'd know that!

Next steps: New brake lever, fairing etc etc...