PDA

View Full Version : Neutral making a break away

Pete.Viking
12th June 2009, 22:23
Neutral seems to be hidding on my '81 xj400.
While the bikes runing I can't find neutral at all, just shuffles through 1st to 2nd back to 1st. Pain in the arse at traffic lights! If I turn it off itl generally pop straight into neutral, although even when the bikes not runing it can be easy to miss.
Not really a urgent issue at the moment as electrical problems mean the xj won't go at all, and its bearable but would be nice to get it sortd sometime.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Also, a long shot, but if anyones got a digital copy of a manual for one of these or a same year model xj550/650 theyl be my new best friend.

Harvd
16th June 2009, 19:08
First up id be checking the clutch cable and whether it is full disengaging. If it has a centre stand pull it up on that and with it in first gear, pull the clutch in and try stop the wheel spinning. If you can you got other issues, but if its hard to, then try tightening the cable, but not too much!

This was what i did for the same problem on my RG and adjusting the cable fixed it perfectly

cs363
16th June 2009, 19:11
^^^ What he said, check clutch adjustment and also chain tension, too tight a chain will also make it hard to select neutral.

gwigs
16th June 2009, 19:15
Try blipping the throttle before you try to find nuetral...it works for me.

sharky
16th June 2009, 20:10
Try selecting neutral whilst still coasting along just before you come to a stop. It's a common problem on some Ducati's and this is the only way to find neutral other than turning it off.

nadroj
17th June 2009, 08:03
If the clutch is adjusted ok & it is a wet clutch try changing oil type back to mineral if using synthetic. They have different drag characteristics on clutch plates.

The Pastor
17th June 2009, 09:21
indiana jones had this problem but in reverse, couldnt find any gear what soever when trying to do a burnout, the burnout wasnt refering to his tyre, but his valves!

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 12:35
indiana jones had this problem but in reverse, couldnt find any gear what soever when trying to do a burnout, the burnout wasnt refering to his tyre, but his valves!

And what a burn out!

though he's cooler

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGHiUzuMULE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGHiUzuMULE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

-Indy

F5 Dave
17th June 2009, 22:22
Clutch drag for sure,often in old bikes they wear the basket so the plates drag together or warp the steels, same effect. If lucky oil may make enough difference, but bit desperate. Can check plates & file grooves out of hub, may work. Have bought a few back from this. Also check clutch lever & arm is getting absolute full travel possible.