PDA

View Full Version : Minimoto South Island?

punter69
23rd June 2009, 14:21
Howsit fellas,

I'm a chch local and have a fair few mates who all have water cooled GP3/GRC reps. (12guys) At the moment we're kindly allowed to use a local business car park to set a track up with hose and cones which is tops. But we need circuit racing.

Does anyone know of any circuit use in the sth island? When is there racing in wtgn?

cheer

R1madness
23rd June 2009, 15:37
We used to have a Monday night deal with the guy from the INDOOR GOKART RACEWAY on morehouse ave where we could bring our minimotos and pay for track hire. It was good when a more than a few tuned up but it has sort o died a natural death. Would not be hard to get it going again tho... Just ring the guy and make a date, post it on here and see who turns up...

Z1_ZPF_BOY
23rd June 2009, 16:19
Best to talk to Greg Oldridge, he knows all about the racing at Wellington. For all minimoto info visit www.nzmmrc.co.nz or www.xminimoto.co.nz for minimoto parts.

punter69
23rd June 2009, 18:38
We used to have a Monday night deal with the guy from the INDOOR GOKART RACEWAY on morehouse ave where we could bring our minimotos and pay for track hire. It was good when a more than a few tuned up but it has sort o died a natural death. Would not be hard to get it going again tho... Just ring the guy and make a date, post it on here and see who turns up...

do you know if anyone has approached the kart club? I hear its getting resurfaced so maybe the wont be so worried about foot peg damage now?

Gadgit
23rd June 2009, 19:31
Fit nylon foot pegs and you shouldn't be able to damage the track. I have plenty of offs and never once left a permernent mark. It's a must when aproching a kart track to show you have made an effot for saftey and protection of their track.

Kickaha
23rd June 2009, 19:35
do you know if anyone has approached the kart club? I hear its getting resurfaced so maybe the wont be so worried about foot peg damage now?

You wont get near the place the conditions of lease prohibit anything but Karts racing there and the local residents go out of there way to make sure it is enforced, the Chch Bucket club has already been through this a few years ago

DELLORTO
23rd June 2009, 20:18
Best to talk to Greg Oldridge, he knows all about the racing at Wellington. For all minimoto info visit www.nzmmrc.co.nz or www.xminimoto.co.nz for minimoto parts.

he said christchurch not wellington

punter69
23rd June 2009, 20:45
You wont get near the place the conditions of lease prohibit anything but Karts racing there and the local residents go out of there way to make sure it is enforced, the Chch Bucket club has already been through this a few years ago

yer thought there was some anal NZ bureaucracy that stopped it.
cheer

punter69
23rd June 2009, 20:46

i asked about wtgn as its possible thats the only place i may get circuit racing.

i have been in contact with the blenheim kart track and they are going to discuss it at their agm this month. if anyone else in the sth island in interested put something up here. as more numbers for a kart track = more revenue

Kickaha
23rd June 2009, 20:52
yer thought there was some anal NZ bureaucracy that stopped it.
cheer

No, just a pack of arsehole residents that want the place shut down

i have been in contact with the blenheim kart track and they are going to discuss it at their agm this month. if anyone else in the sth island in interested put something up here. as more numbers for a kart track = more revenue

The bucket guys would probably be interested in doing Blenheim as well, let us know how you get on

We've raced there before a few time and it is a far better track the Chch Kart track anyway

Z1_ZPF_BOY
23rd June 2009, 21:00

Once again Max, opening your mouth before you read peoples comments fully.... the origonal post from 'punter69' said at the bottom "when is there racing in wtgn?"

So i responded.........

Try reading the WHOLE post next time.

punter69
23rd June 2009, 21:19
Once again Max, opening your mouth before you read peoples comments fully.... the origonal post from 'punter69' said at the bottom "when is there racing in wtgn?"

So i responded.........

Try reading the WHOLE post next time.

i was talking about both chch and wtgn.

Z1_ZPF_BOY
23rd June 2009, 21:27
i was talking about both chch and wtgn.

i know, mr dellorto thought you didn't mention wellington.
:Offtopic::Offtopic: LOL

imdying
24th June 2009, 10:46
I'm a chch local and have a fair few mates who all have water cooled GP3/GRC reps. (12guys) At the moment we're kindly allowed to use a local business car park to set a track up with hose and cones which is tops. But we need circuit racing.Well, there's another three of us with 50 odd cones doing the same thing, we're keen to meet others and pool our resources. PM and we'll meet up on the weekend if you like :)

We used to have a Monday night deal with the guy from the INDOOR GOKART RACEWAY on morehouse ave where we could bring our minimotos and pay for track hire. It was good when a more than a few tuned up but it has sort o died a natural death. Would not be hard to get it going again tho... Just ring the guy and make a date, post it on here and see who turns up...Phil has talked to them and they're open to the idea of starting it up again :)

do you know if anyone has approached the kart club? I hear its getting resurfaced so maybe the wont be so worried about foot peg damage now?Haven't approached them, but have seen the track and it looks like it'd be top fun.

i asked about wtgn as its possible thats the only place i may get circuit racing.

i have been in contact with the blenheim kart track and they are going to discuss it at their agm this month. if anyone else in the sth island in interested put something up here. as more numbers for a kart track = more revenueWe would probably be keen to road trip with you guys :woohoo:

There are often large lots of bikes sold on trademe, but freight is a killer, could be keen on pooling for those too if that interests you?

punter69
24th June 2009, 11:24
Well, there's another three of us with 50 odd cones doing the same thing, we're keen to meet others and pool our resources. PM and we'll meet up on the weekend if you like :)

Phil has talked to them and they're open to the idea of starting it up again :)

There are often large lots of bikes sold on trademe, but freight is a killer, could be keen on pooling for those too if that interests you?

where abouts do you go set up your track? what sort of bikes?
I think i'll ring supakarts and check out next monday availability

imdying
24th June 2009, 11:37
where abouts do you go set up your track? what sort of bikes?
I think i'll ring supakarts and check out next monday availability

We have 2 B1 replicas, a ZPF replica, and three Daytona 2s. We setup in the Hornby area. Be good to talk to some others here in Christchurch, I'll PM you with my contact details.

imdying
24th June 2009, 11:48
Oh, check here (http://minimotonz.forumup.org/viewforum.php?f=14&mforum=minimotonz&sid=8ac7d38b148f4ceef860e2652bcd1084) too. It's dead as at the moment, but should be useful in the future.

imdying
24th June 2009, 11:53
i have been in contact with the blenheim kart track and they are going to discuss it at their agm this month. if anyone else in the sth island in interested put something up here. as more numbers for a kart track = more revenueMight be worth traveling to that AGM?

punter69
24th June 2009, 13:12
Might be worth traveling to that AGM?

I've just re-read the email I received from the Blenheim Kart CLub, I'll copy it below. Since its tonight probably wont make it! I've emailed the guy again saying there is more interest and I look forward to hearing of his reply.

Hi Mark

Your request to use the Marlborough Kart Club track for pocket bikes has been passed on to me as I am Club Captain of the Club.

Your request needs to be discussed by the committe and I will take it to our next meeting which is on the 24 June.

So I have a bit more information can you please reply in regards to the following and anything else that you think would be benefical for us to know:
Would you be looking at group competition days or individual use?
How often would you like to use the track - one-off day or regular days?
Number of bikes
Once we have held our meeting I will get back to you with the outcome.

Regards

R1madness
24th June 2009, 13:30
I would love to join you guys for a bit o a laugh. Mines a older 40cc air cooled but i dont mind crashing while tryin to keep up hahahaha. PM me next time you have a get together planned and i will come along.....

imdying
24th June 2009, 14:29
I've just re-read the email I received from the Blenheim Kart CLub, I'll copy it below. Since its tonight probably wont make it! I've emailed the guy again saying there is more interest and I look forward to hearing of his reply.Yeah, bit short notice for us too!

Answers below.

Would you be looking at group competition days or individual use?
How often would you like to use the track - one-off day or regular days?
Number of bikes
Once we have held our meeting I will get back to you with the outcome- Group competition I guess would be the term I'd used! Perhaps just for plain old fun would be more realistic initially... I know I've yet to ride the bike anywhere near it's capacity, but that's mostly due to lack of a track.
- Once a month would suit me.
- If you have a dozen guys, and we have another three, then say ten would be a realistic figure? I assume some of your lot have families etc?

Hope that helps... obviously we're happy to pay for the privilege, depends on how much though as she's a fair hike up there.

I would love to join you guys for a bit o a laugh. Mines a older 40cc air cooled but i dont mind crashing while tryin to keep up hahahaha. PM me next time you have a get together planned and i will come along.....We all have 40cc air cooled bikes too, so that'd be fine :)

xtreme
24th June 2009, 20:55
Hi Guys

Great to hear thats things are revving up down your way.

Although im living in Hawkes Bay now , Wellington racing can still hapen.
I still have all the contacts their.
Even if its a one off meeting i can still arrange it. Maybe once you guys get sorted you should adopt the NZMMRC rules and we could have a North versus South champs or something in Wellington and the next year in Blenheim.
Just a thought.
Kelsey , How would that be with NZMMRC ?
We know how much everyone loved that track.

Cheers Greg

Gadgit
24th June 2009, 21:43

Cheers Greg

Sounds like it could be good to me if the SI guys are keen I'll put it to the rest of the commitee and then bring it up at the next round and see what interest we get.
Great move forward if it happens.

punter69
25th June 2009, 08:08
Hi Guys

Great to hear thats things are revving up down your way.

Although im living in Hawkes Bay now , Wellington racing can still hapen.
I still have all the contacts their.
Even if its a one off meeting i can still arrange it. Maybe once you guys get sorted you should adopt the NZMMRC rules and we could have a North versus South champs or something in Wellington and the next year in Blenheim.
Just a thought.

Cheers Greg

I'm into it. If only the chch kart clud has less council regulations imposed on them. I believe it is still worth applying. Is there possibility of some guys joining nzmmrc and approaching the kart track - even if it is only for head bangin against walls - it gets alot more traction when it comes from an organisation. I'll let you know how the Blenheim club option goes.

punter69
25th June 2009, 08:11
I would love to join you guys for a bit o a laugh. Mines a older 40cc air cooled but i dont mind crashing while tryin to keep up hahahaha. PM me next time you have a get together planned and i will come along.....

my mate might have a GP3 rep for sale if you're keen?

R1madness
25th June 2009, 13:09
na mate its fine with me being on a cheapy. I have my GSXR1000 for goin fast on...

punter69
25th June 2009, 13:13
na mate its fine with me being on a cheapy. I have my GSXR1000 for goin fast on...

I believe everything you have should be as fast as you can get. excuse not accepted. haha

R1madness
25th June 2009, 13:16
challenge accepted! lets see if an old aircooled bike with an old slow fat rider is faster than you. 1 beer for the winner.....

imdying
25th June 2009, 16:04
challenge accepted! lets see if an old aircooled bike with an old slow fat rider is faster than you. 1 beer for the winner.....Heh, you'll be able to keep us company on our Daytonas at least :D You can take my ZPF for a spin if you like, might tempt you to get one his GRCs ;)

punter69
25th June 2009, 17:03
I've just had some positive feed back from the Wigram Airforce Museum. They have an Air strip and huge tarmac turning circles that are unused by planes.
They're getting back to me but said quite possible that pocket bikes could come use the area.

Lady Wigram Trophy is on

Kickaha
25th June 2009, 17:34
I'm into it. If only the chch kart clud has less council regulations imposed on them. I believe it is still worth applying. Is there possibility of some guys joining nzmmrc and approaching the kart track - even if it is only for head bangin against walls - it gets alot more traction when it comes from an organisation. I'll let you know how the Blenheim club option goes.

The Chch Kart club were happy for us to hire the track and run there, it's a bunch of wankers who live in the area and want the Kart track shut down that got us given the arse from racing there after they dug up the terms of the lease

That was a few years ago though so who knows things may have changed

R1madness
26th June 2009, 17:57
I've just had some positive feed back from the Wigram Airforce Museum. They have an Air strip and huge tarmac turning circles that are unused by planes.
They're getting back to me but said quite possible that pocket bikes could come use the area.

Lady Wigram Trophy is on

Oh yea bring it baby!!!!! I will put up a trophy for it. Actually i have the Genuine LADY WIGRAM trophy sitting on my desk but i had better not use that. However if we can get wigram lets make a BIG DEAL of it. Get as many pockets out there as we can. Publicise it and let other people have a ride as well. Do a spectator class and try to up the numbers.... Good racing need not be expencive.....

punter69
26th June 2009, 18:34
Oh yea bring it baby!!!!! I will put up a trophy for it. Actually i have the Genuine LADY WIGRAM trophy sitting on my desk but i had better not use that. However if we can get wigram lets make a BIG DEAL of it. Get as many pockets out there as we can. Publicise it and let other people have a ride as well. Do a spectator class and try to up the numbers.... Good racing need not be expencive.....

its all go. tomorrow at 1pm is the first test run. the guy i talked to was really awesome. Really helpful! I am turning up tomorrow at 1 with a few friends and will check it out. May have to share with blokarts club, but in reality we have a wicked time on a 40m x 40m car park, so anything more than that - with no gutter to contend with - is a massive bonus. My number is 021 242 1009, if you want to come its 10bucks per bike to the air force museum.
My mates have alot of hose and a few cones/spray painted plywood chicane colour for track marking. I figure this will be the best minimoto in the sth island ever.

rad

punter69
26th June 2009, 18:36

why do you have the genuine Lady Wigram Trophy? There must be some seriously famous names on that!

imdying
27th June 2009, 08:51
its all go. tomorrow at 1pm is the first test run. the guy i talked to was really awesome.Ok, we'll meet you in the musem car park... we'll be the dodgy looking guys in the van full of minimotos.

I'll have to bring the as yet to be tested aircooled bike with me...

Last night I finally managed to break one of the mounts for the foot pegs from the frame on the ZPF. The quality of the welding isn't too bad all told, but there are 5 nuts welded backwards to the frame for mounting the seat, top of the foot peg mount, and front fairing. They're all basically just a tack of weld on each side, not much use on the load bearing peg mounts. Swingarm mount is a little beefier (i.e. an insert and not just a nut), but the welding is just as crappy. Stripped the bike down to the frame so we can weld each of those items the entire way round them, it'll take an hour or two to weld, paint, and reassemble it, but I'm at work till 12. Still, thems the breaks some days :laugh:

R1madness
28th June 2009, 00:24
why do you have the genuine Lady Wigram Trophy? There must be some seriously famous names on that!

I earned it working for Stroudy as his mechanic. He presented it to me after the race win.

Hey sorry i missed the meet but i have to open the shop Saturdays, so can only ride sundays, let me know your next meet date.

Capt_pocketman
9th August 2009, 16:21
Gidday, just signed up after getting a heads up from trademe message boards,
I am wanting to race around as well! i have three pockets, all cheap chinese but one is modded and flies! lol! will be real keen to line them up! i will keep an eye on this thread :0) and anybody like hooning down the beach to the pub and back again? 'tis a past time out this way,, Cheers. 021 777408

Gadgit
9th August 2009, 19:12
Good to see ya followed my link lol. Hopefuly you guys can get some good numbers so as we can have a inter_island chanlange one day

imdying
10th August 2009, 08:50
Gidday, just signed up after getting a heads up from trademe message boards,
I am wanting to race around as well! i have three pockets, all cheap chinese but one is modded and flies! lol! will be real keen to line them up! i will keep an eye on this thread :0) and anybody like hooning down the beach to the pub and back again? 'tis a past time out this way,, Cheers. 021 777408

Capt_pocketman, we have your number now... if this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfitKE-hMkY) interests you, then you've come to the right place!

imdying
10th August 2009, 08:52
Good to see ya followed my link lol. Hopefuly you guys can get some good numbers so as we can have a inter_island chanlange one dayWe have two 'tracks' now, so at least we can get some practice in, so that's a step closer :yes::eek:

Capt_pocketman
10th August 2009, 10:58
Yeah yeah, now thats the caper! are all those pockets watercooled? anyways, i look forward to having a run with you guys, i lost some bark yesterday on mine, front brake caliper simply broke of its mounts and locked up front wheel sending me over the top with bike on me. done buggerall damage to bike and 'tis repaired already, but i done l/elbow (goodie) L/knee, and both hands lol! the tarmac looks alot smoother than what i ride on,,,,Keep in touch! cheers,

imdying
10th August 2009, 11:10
Three of them were water cooled, the other 5 are all air cooled.

Get used to fixing them, it's a (big) part of it! We'll let you know when the next meet is (probably Saturday, maybe Sunday).

Capt_pocketman
10th August 2009, 12:13
Yup, they are so simple to work on, i lost one in the surf once, found it and it took an hour to clean it out and get it running again, the missus was not impressed at all as i had used the kitchen table as a workbench! lol! i have about two bikes worth of parts, but have run out of spare chains, do you guys have a parts supplier in chch?

imdying
10th August 2009, 12:38
Yes, we've sorted out where to buy most parts. Some are available locally, some have to come from Australia, but depends on what you're after. Don't really muck about with chains anymore, straight to Wilson Bros for DID chain, they last a while compared to the Chinese ones. Chinese tyres are total rubbish, I don't think I've seen an properly round one yet. We'll be getting into those SAVA tyres soon, but we're still waiting on some decent wheels to arrive from across the seas.

imdying
10th August 2009, 12:40
Here's another video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9eTcEKU4o) for ya :yes: