PDA

View Full Version : WLG: RG150 Flywheel puller needed!

Jase W
27th June 2009, 15:33
Lunched the race bike on sunday and am in the process of pulling the motor down to get it sorted (hopefully in time for rnd 3!). To do that I need a flywheel puller - if anyone has one that i can borrow/rent/purchase in the welly region that would be primo... pm me if you can help. Cheers.

Sketchy_Racer
27th June 2009, 15:48
Hey a quick cheat is to pull the balance shaft out (you can do that while the flywheel is on and remove the balance shaft bearings. Now you can get a drift on the back of the flywheel (from the clutch side) and knock it off. Keep rotating the flywheel as you hit it, eventually it will come off. Also heat the flywheel a bit with a heat gun or something. Not oxy/acety though, you can wrenk the magnets if you heat it too much.

Good luck. It's a rough way, but it get's the job done and doesn't damage anything.

Jase W
27th June 2009, 16:02
awesome cheers ill give that a go!

F5 Dave
27th June 2009, 16:55
or you could spend the $20 & always have one. any bike shop should have a std jap puller, or check on line, motion pro do a good one. Use grease on the surface & threads to help protect it. Heat as Glen sez. Do the puller up & give the end a sharp tap with a hammer sometimes helps, they can be on silly tight from factory, just don't lose your temper with it or you'll be searching for a crank..

Jase W
27th June 2009, 18:50
I am trying to track down a puller but apparently they are not so easy to find for an RG150 (Wellington M/Cycles supposedly had to borrow one from Suzuki NZ last time they needed to do an RG). One has been ordered but no guarantees its available heh. I had a go at knocking it from behind but no luck (I only took out the clutch side bearing for the balancer though) - I dont have a heat gun so not able to heat it up either.

If anyone knows where a suitable puller for an RG is definitely available for sale then please let me know as I would rather have one of my own if I can find one.

Don't you just hate it when there is one little job to be done that holds up the whole process while you try to get adequate tools?

Sketchy_Racer
27th June 2009, 23:45
or you could spend the $20 & always have one. any bike shop should have a std jap puller, or check on line, motion pro do a good one. Use grease on the surface & threads to help protect it. Heat as Glen sez. Do the puller up & give the end a sharp tap with a hammer sometimes helps, they can be on silly tight from factory, just don't lose your temper with it or you'll be searching for a crank..

Nah it's not a standard Jap puller, it's a fugly contraption of a flywheel. I started machining one, when I got pissed off at the idea of spending hours making a tool I'm likely only going to use once in my life, so hit it off like I described earlier.

Jase, go buy a $30 special heat gun from super cheap, they're essential if you want to build a motor without all the expensive bearing drivers/pullers.

And then hit the flywheel hard. Don't be too afraid to give it a fair whack, it's a bloody solid lump of steel the RG150s ones.

Sketchy_Racer
27th June 2009, 23:53
Also, if you need someone to rebuild you crank I've done a fair few now (none have crapped themselves... yet ;)) I could help you out there too.

Cheers,

-Glen

Jase W
28th June 2009, 07:36
Sweet as I'll swing by supercheap on the way home after the 10k today. If I had the equipment (and I little more know how with welding & tapping) then I could make the tool myself - they are a fairly simple tool for this type of flywheel. I will have to see if I can get the other balancer shaft bearing out so I can get at a good surface to whack.

How much would I be looking at to get you to do the crank? I have talked to Pete Jones about it but am always open to other options.

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2009, 09:19
Don't rush, eh bro! ;)

Jase W
28th June 2009, 11:32
Haha you'd like that wouldnt you.

I didnt end up getting the heat gun - its $50 and i am still waiting to hear if I can get the puller for $30 (not much point getting the gun to do a puller-less job if I end up getting the puller anyways). So I'll just give it a few decent whacks and see if I can get it off with muscle alone.

koba
28th June 2009, 12:15
If anyone knows where a suitable puller for an RG is definitely available for sale then please let me know as I would rather have one of my own if I can find one.

Don't you just hate it when there is one little job to be done that holds up the whole process while you try to get adequate tools?

I have one that is home made, but it needs refinement.

You can borrow it but it won't work as well as a propper on which is the best bet.

Do watch out, even if you get the right puller use a bit of heat because some of them seem to be on there SOOO tight!

Motomart in Lower Hutt can remove it if you want it done right.

koba
28th June 2009, 12:22
Haha you'd like that wouldnt you.

I didnt end up getting the heat gun - its $50 and i am still waiting to hear if I can get the puller for $30 (not much point getting the gun to do a puller-less job if I end up getting the puller anyways). So I'll just give it a few decent whacks and see if I can get it off with muscle alone.

Does the MRS have a hair drier?

Jase W
28th June 2009, 12:26
Nah haven't got one of those at the moment (mrs that is, damn they are handy!). Flatmate doesnt seem to have one either but if it comes down to it I'll fork out for the gun. I'd be keen to give that homemade jobbie a crack - anything is better than nothing at this point...

Jase W
28th June 2009, 18:23
Well thanks to koba the flywheel is off (gotta love homemade tools!). I have also split the cases and got the crank out, so I'm ready to move onto phase two: spend lots of money that I dont have.

Thanks heaps for everyones tips!

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2009, 18:59
Well thanks to koba...

For god sakes, I let him out of the house for one afternoon and he sabotages my chances at beating you this season. I hope you have a spare couch, he'll be coming to stay with you...

Jase W
28th June 2009, 19:29
If he brings all the tools he's more than welcome...

gatch
29th June 2009, 12:33
Ill bring my tool..

Jase W
29th June 2009, 19:15
Can you put it in my box?

Str8 Jacket
29th June 2009, 19:19

Giggidy giggidy!! :yeah: :eek:

gatch
29th June 2009, 20:36

How big is said box :shifty:

oyster
15th July 2009, 11:10
I made a special precision fixture for pressing up Rg 150 cranks a year or so ago. I've done around 30 so far and with this fixture the width is consistent with plus or minus 0.01mm and runout 0.20, which I then conventionally true up between centres. Only about 30% have a rotational error I need to correct. Relevant to this thread is that I did a "batch" of 8 cranks last week and 4 of these need corrective work to the alternator end due to butchery taking the rotor off. The centre, thread and straightness can all get buggered. The rotors are very delicate and I've seen a few wrecked when people have tried incorrect pullers. The only answer is to use the correct puller that engages the thread on the rotor boss. And, more important, is a close fitting cap must be fitted over the crank thread to protect it from the puller centre screw.

quallman1234
15th July 2009, 12:16
Yea my flywheel side thread on my crank is fairly fucked. Grab Koba's puller, it threads into the inner of the flywheel like a proper one.

I see on your blog you got it out ages ago.

Str8 Jacket
15th July 2009, 13:47
Grab Koba's puller

You are no longer welcome at our place, you dirty lil man!! :nono:

:p