PDA

View Full Version : Bailed on the motorway

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 17:31
The gsx is gonna need some repair, and a new right footpeg.

Yes, the 'good' fairing side is scratched up.

Came off at the bottom of the harbour bridge at bout 90km/h, my gear took a bit of damage, through to my clothing in a few places, but I'm fine.

Some nice guy pulled up in a truck, high off the ground but enogh people to lift bike onto it, engine still goes and I THINK the bikes general stuff may still be in good nick, haven't looked it over extensively.

Gonna need some fixing through, the right footpeg is gone, the brakelever has come off for front brake, and back brake lever is bent in a bit.

Back wheel just decided to go sideways in a lane change, rather a weird sideways too as it was not in the direction I was turning but as I was straightening up.

Anytime anyone who is good with bikes is free, and able to pick up with a trailer also, would like some help

p.dath
28th June 2009, 17:36
Sorry to hear about your bad news. Is this when it was pissing down?

FROSTY
28th June 2009, 17:40
that sucks dude--if it was the city side of the harbour bridge you probably hit the metal bridge joiner
A lil secret for ya if ya wanna carry on riding--pull the pin on the front footpeg out and fit the rear peg in its place--its kinda a get ya home trick but itll last awhlie with no issues.
I can fix your bike for ya if it can be got here. Peg'll cost about $30-40 lever if its solid will be $25 if its got a span adjuster 35-45
rear lever isnt an issue -I think its steel so will straighten.

aahsv
28th June 2009, 17:49
Glad you're still talking and walking - ATGATT :Punk:

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 18:15
Just took a bit more of a look. Now both my front indicators have no housing, but that can be dealt with at some other point.

The brake lever has snapped off, so will probably need some welding, or a replacement lever.

Right mirror is smashed, anyone know a good place to get spare fxr mirrors? (thats whats on there currently)

Rear lever is just bending one into place.

Can do the peg switch, but would rather get a replacement peg, possibly from the xs but chances are that thing won't fit at all. Could change over both footpegs actually

steve_t
28th June 2009, 18:24
Sorry to hear about your off mate.
If you don't mind, can I ask what gear you were wearing and how it failed thru down to your clothes? Ie Leather vs Cordura and wear thru vs torn seams etc?
Cheers mate. Glad to hear you're OK.

PirateJafa
28th June 2009, 18:25
Oh you sodding noob Wade. :P

You can get a nice new FXR mirror next time you see Danae's bike parked at uni.

Check Cycletreads for levers.

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 18:32
Was quasimoto cordura jacket, and the pants were just flimsy stuff. Biggest hole is on the arm of the cordura which went through, but didn't scratch clothing. Ripped up the gear though, but didn't get me hurt at all. Pants went slightly through and got a small hole in my jeans, the edge of my palm is a bit rounded too :P.

My dad reckons the bikes wheel might not be quite aligned, so might go get that checked at cycletreads, once its running. First would like to see how easy it would be to deal with the lever, which I'll look at tomorrow when my nerves have calmed down a bit

mattian
28th June 2009, 18:34
I noticed warnings about surface water on the motorway on my way over the bridge this arvo..... perhaps it was a bit of aqua-planing that caught your back wheel.
I crossed over around 3.30pm this afternoon and nearly got blown over the side rail. Damn it was windy up there.

FROSTY
28th June 2009, 18:35
Anyhoo--welding a lever is just a waste of money unless ya know a welder who will do it for free.--cheaper to get a new lever.
--I guess its lever itself busted NOT the mount on master cylinder.
sounds like you need to pull bike off the road for a few days and get the indicator mounts plastic welded up.
Re using XS peg. Just check the mount angle and position . you might find the angles all wrong.

The Pastor
28th June 2009, 18:36
you dont seem to cut out for this biking thing aye

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 19:21
nah, I think I just need to be a bit more careful of incredibly wet weather.

Welding of the lever was wondering if it was worth a 6pack SMC weld, probably not.

Knowing my xs it won't fit, but the rear peg might fit on. If not just a chunk of copper with a grip on it would be fine

Ixion
28th June 2009, 19:23
Don't waste time trying to weld up an alloy hand-lever. Never a success unless you fit a bit of LIP Vauxhall pushrod as internal bracing.

skidMark
28th June 2009, 19:38
you dont seem to cut out for this biking thing aye

EJK mk II ...............

motorbyclist
28th June 2009, 20:28
lol i hope he isn't EJ mkII

Back wheel just decided to go sideways in a lane change, rather a weird sideways too as it was not in the direction I was turning but as I was straightening up.

Anytime anyone who is good with bikes is free, and able to pick up with a trailer also, would like some help

i'm free tomorrow to lend a trailer/ute/hand/assessment. gutted aboutthe bike but good to hear you're ok - i suppose you've only got third party then?

marty
28th June 2009, 20:30
speed limit on the bridge isn't 80k for nothing...............

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 21:12
I've got full, but not sure if its worth calling in since my excess is 750.

My phone is on the fritz, but I'm free all day tomorrow if you wanna pick it up, though not sure when I can get the parts needed. You could at least come take a look (as in ride over) if you want, see what you think of it

Squiggles
28th June 2009, 22:41
Is it going to be replacing the xs in the shed?

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 22:42
no, hope not, its not severly damaged, just needs a few spare bits that aren't too difficult to come by.

motorbyclist
28th June 2009, 22:53
I've got full, but not sure if its worth calling in since my excess is 750.

no, hope not, its not severly damaged, just needs a few spare bits that aren't too difficult to come by.

we'll see if that's the case upon closer inspection. pm me a number to txt. is it at your place?

Real_Wolf
28th June 2009, 23:04
yah, its at mine, txted you anumber

YellowDog
28th June 2009, 23:17
It was one of those days wasn't it.

I had to head over to Henderson to fix something that really shouldn't have broke. Got leathered up before realising that there was just too much rain to make it enjoyable. Took the car and watched the wet guys biking up the North Western.

They're real bikers. I am not.

They were wet. I was not :)

howdamnhard
28th June 2009, 23:40
Glad you are okay,could have been much worse. Hope you get your bike up and running soon.

ital916
29th June 2009, 09:45
Lucky dude! 90km/hr off in the wet on the four lane at the bottom of the bridge with traffic and you didnt slide into the concrete barrier or get run over by anything....very lucky. People go way too quick on the bridge. Glad you are all right!

Real_Wolf
29th June 2009, 12:07
yeah, looking at it I did get very lucky. I was changing lanes, so not travelling straight, yet when I came off bike was sliding straight down the lane. Possibly because I might have finished the manouver before it slid out, so the momentum was all in the right direction.

Gear held up fairly well considering the distance I slid on my back. When I thought 'ah, there we go, stopped sliding' and put my hands down I found I was still doing a bit more than I thought, rolled a bit, but still fine. Got up right after I actually did stop, checked myself over, and went "oh fucking hell", jogged up to bike and turned it off since it was leaking a little bit of fluid.

Still, despite a nice lucky crash, really pissed off that it had to happen at all

Ragingrob
29th June 2009, 12:29
Definitely, sucks man, glad you're ok. Really shows how extremely careful you do have to be in these wet conditions.

Waxxa
29th June 2009, 12:52
You are one very lucky dude. Damn, you could have stood up only to be hit by a car.

I remember this time last winter when a couple of storms that came through Akl, the wind blew some riders off their bikes going over the harbour bridge. In these conditions you really need to make a judgement call on whether you make that journey on a bike or not. I worked on the North Shore for a bit and know how 'exciting' the trip over the bridge can be at times.

macros87
1st July 2009, 05:04
ahh this sucks man... you havent even had it all that long, but it sounds like it can be put back on the road soon enough, and i think its nothing short of a miracle that you fell off at the end of the bridge at 90k didnt get run over by anyone, and you yourself dont have to stay off the road like your bike. i know it feels like a bit of bad luck, but right there you also had a ton of good luck man

jrandom
1st July 2009, 07:38
You fell off at the bottom of the harbour bridge?

How on earth did you manage that?

The most I've ever gotten out of those steel plates is a mild wiggle.

Then again, I suppose an abrupt lane change over them might do the trick. Pays to keep the bike straight and neutral over wet metal. I bet you'll be doing that in future, eh.

he wind blew some riders off their bikes going over the harbour bridge

Rubbish. It just blew them around a bit and upset them, so they stiffened up on the steering and basically threw the bike away.

If cars weren't being smacked sideways into the barriers by the wind, riders weren't being 'blown off' their bikes.

Learn to ride, people, learn to ride.

Real_Wolf
1st July 2009, 11:08
Nah, wasnt the metal I was over, so must have been something else

motorbyclist
1st July 2009, 21:10
Nah, wasnt the metal I was over, so must have been something else

Kenda tyres, and/or standing water mixed with oil freshly washed off the bridge.

Danae
1st July 2009, 21:12
Kenda tyres, and/or standing water mixed with oil freshly washed off the bridge.

Stir vigorously for ten minutes and bake at 180C for an hour

Delicious :sick:

Real_Wolf
1st July 2009, 23:31
yeah, I think my kenda tyre, despite seeming like it has plenty of tread, is actually really crap. Add to that some lovely standing water (apparently there wa standing water at the base of the bridge on that day, not necessarily when I went past but there would be some risidual oil which comes up through the tarmac too), and possible oil/diesel (I blame bus's. Once saw a line of oil going from the top of rangatira road all the way to the motorway, caught up to the bus there and saw it was what was leaking all this oil)

Ixion
1st July 2009, 23:33
take a look at that tyre and see if it says "NYLON" on it. If it does, you have your answer.

Dare
4th July 2009, 18:29
take a look at that tyre and see if it says "NYLON" on it. If it does, you have your answer.

It did look like an el cheapo stuck on by previous owned to sell...

Hey Wade, I think we need to get you to a track, pretty sure riding about in relatively safe conditions would help you heaps on the road... You do ride pretty agressively after all (=

Real_Wolf
4th July 2009, 22:52
:P, I think i've done bloody well considering it was a ~90kph crash on an auckland motorway (that was very busy too).

Still need to find a place with a spare footpeg / fxr wingmirror, then its paint the weld for my tank, find a bolt for the tank, rebore the front indicator holes (including the one on the right which has a damn water tank in the way, so gotta take the fairings off to get to it), and replace the plugs in the indicators with the new ones

Dare
4th July 2009, 23:58
It was a ~90kph crash on an auckland motorway (that was very busy too).

Need I say more? :sunny:

Dare
4th July 2009, 23:59
PS. Gimme a yell if you want help with any of that, hols get boring fast.
...That's why I'm on KB >.>

Real_Wolf
5th July 2009, 02:22
if ya want you can cmoe help take the fairings off and bore out the indicator holes

xwhatsit
5th July 2009, 10:02
Rubbish. I had a King's Tyre for like ~30,000kms that never even got close to showing any wear. Excellent value for money.

Dude, how the hell do you fall off like that? Is it EJ Mk.II? It's a perfectly-finished, dead-smooth piece of hotmix tarmac. I can never understand you guys. I chuck my ancient piece of crap around with no damping (or much springing) left in the rear twinshocks, 14psi in rear tyre (true story), flexing front forks, complete unskilled rider... yet it's people like you, on a well-specced stable modern bike who manage to fall off at a sedate 90kph.

I'd be real worried if I couldn't figure out why I crashed.

jrandom
5th July 2009, 10:04
Dude, how the hell do you fall off like that?

Sometimes the gods of motorcycling give gentle hints that certain people should stick to driving cars.

It's funny how often those hints get ignored.

Real_Wolf
5th July 2009, 12:12
I know why I crashed, my back wheel tried to overtake my front. Its how it decided to do that thats the difficult question

Dare
5th July 2009, 12:39
I know why I crashed, my back wheel tried to overtake my front. Its how it decided to do that thats the difficult question

I'd suggest replaying the scene in your head until you have your answer, otherwise there is always a chance it will happen again.

My guess is you werent smooth, suddenly changing weight distribution, direction, braking, clutch or throttle can all have this effect. Combined with bad tyres and oil that sounds like the answer... If you were riding sensibly for the conditions the front tyre would have let go first when you ran over the oil I think.

Your bike is modern enough and in goodish condition, unless your tyres are actually lethal that shouldn't have happened.

Real_Wolf
5th July 2009, 16:21
playing it through, i was completely smooth, was just that minor lean of changing lanes then the straightening up.

And the fact that I was going at an angle could mean my tyre went over anything, the bumpity bumpity things between lanes, etc, though I wasn't leaning nearly enough that that should have been an issue

Dare
5th July 2009, 16:34
playing it through, i was completely smooth, was just that minor lean of changing lanes then the straightening up.

And the fact that I was going at an angle could mean my tyre went over anything, the bumpity bumpity things between lanes, etc, though I wasn't leaning nearly enough that that should have been an issue

I avoid lines and the bumpity things, slippery little shee-its. I even try and avoid them in cars, that's even more fun! Good for learning wheel positioning.

Seriously though ALWAYS scan the road for oil/paint/bumps/anything, if you don't know what you went over it's hardly suprising you came off! The last time i'll agree the surface was reflective to the point of not seeing paint but this isn't that time.

Real_Wolf
5th July 2009, 18:20
yeah, this time it was raining heavily and there was glare from opposing cars headlights.

I'm sure I didn't go over them as I try to avoid them too, always taking note of the 'dips' in the road and not going over them, but in the end I don't know what it is that I went over that got my rear wheel to lose traction