PDA

View Full Version : Starting a pocket bike without the pull start?

16silver
3rd July 2009, 18:09
hi ive jut got my hands on a chinese pocket bike, and as the pull cord is broken off and the bit also is snapped off i was wondering if there was a way to start these bikes without the pull start? i can post pix of the side to show but i have already tried wrapping a cord round it and pulling but there is nowhere to attach it so it spins properly, it also isnt spring loaded so doesn't retract anywhere, jut goes "pop" in a low sound when i spin the part and i have no way of spinning it fast enough to get it to start, any way of starting without the pull cord?

imdying
3rd July 2009, 18:28
Get on trademe or go to the Newmanz site. You'll be able to pick one up tomorrow morning without any trouble.

Make a list of all the fucked bits on it, you might as well get them all whilst you're there... a spare chain would be a good place to start.

mohawk
3rd July 2009, 18:36
cordless drill with a socket in it on the flywheel bolt.

16silver
3rd July 2009, 18:46
cordless drill with a socket in it on the flywheel bolt.
ahah yes i do see how that would work... BUT i don't have a drill or a socket, ill prob pick up a replacement cord for like 25$ some time or something, or a socket set and borrow a drill or hook it up to the weed eater LOL
then hopefully i can ride it :P needs a bit of fixing up with pegs etc but its a cheap chinese so bound to break but im not worried, just wanted to know how to start it if need be +1 for mohawk (will try to +rep u for that if i can figure how) thanks alot :) question solved

Gadgit
3rd July 2009, 20:58
If you just want to see if it goes... remove the clutch bell stuff a old rag in there and bolt the clutch bell back on this will lock the clutch to the bell and allow you to push start the bike but be ready to lift the rear wheel when it fires.

Ivan
6th July 2009, 18:42
If you just want to see if it goes... remove the clutch bell stuff a old rag in there and bolt the clutch bell back on this will lock the clutch to the bell and allow you to push start the bike but be ready to lift the rear wheel when it fires.

now thats how you do it. I was trying to figure a way the other day with myne I get crampd fingers trying to pull start all the time

Leyton
17th July 2009, 13:03
The old drill trick works well :P Just a pain in the bum to make a 1/4 inch socket adapter for the drill. I made mine from just two square nuts welded togeather then filed to size.

Nice Rag trick!

I have gone through 2 B1 pull starts now :P I am on my last one!!!, I will repair one of them before I take the bike out again :P