PDA

View Full Version : Garry Albrett Cliffhanger Promotions RIP

Deano
5th July 2009, 14:04
Garry Albrett Cliffhanger Promotions RIP

It is with much regret that I must inform that Garry Albrett of Carterton has passed away.

Garry suffered a heart attack this morning and did not regain consciousness.

Garry was well known as the chairman of Cliffhanger Promotions. He and his wife Dina were the driving force behind the triannual motorcycle sprints and cliffhanger hillclimb. They both worked tirelessly on these events and Garry will be sorely missed.

Garry's funeral will be held on Wednesday 8 July 2009, 11.00am ( arrive there at least 10.45am) at the Anglican Church, corner of High Street and Richmond Road, Carterton. (southern end of shopping centre)

To all that knew Garry, helped with the Cliffhanger and sprints, or competed at them, it would be appreciated if as many as possible could attend on their bikes to give Garry a worthy send off.

For those leaving from the Hutt side of the hill, I suggest meeting at Caltex Rimutaka at about 9.30am to leave at 9.45am.

jellywrestler
5th July 2009, 14:12
Few people work as tirelessly for our sport as Garry and Dina, my thoughts are with Dina and friends and family at the moment.
Spyda

Str8 Jacket
5th July 2009, 15:12
Oh fuck. That sucks big time! I really had a lot of time for Garry, he always had time to stop and chat and have a laugh. Garry always used to give me shit about anyting and everything but he was also very supportive and calming when I was doing the hillclimb! Garry and Dina had a passion for motorcycling and really put in alot of effort to run amazing events. My thougts are with Dina and his family. RIP mate.

Will definately try and make the funeral Deano...

Trudes
5th July 2009, 15:15
That is sad news. RIP Gary.

James Deuce
5th July 2009, 15:16
Oh no, sorry to hear that mate. Condolences to Dina.

merv
5th July 2009, 15:17
Sorry to hear this. RIP Garry.

bistard
5th July 2009, 16:01
Bloody Shame,RIP Garry

Paul in NZ
5th July 2009, 16:51
Damn... I'm very very sorry to hear this terrible news Deano. Thats one heck of a loss... Such a nice guy (well in my experience anyway)....

RIP Garry, definately a good bastard and will be missed... Our very best regards to his family.

koba
5th July 2009, 16:51
Damn, That sucks.
I don't know what to say other than Garry was bloody good bloke.

Ivan
5th July 2009, 18:07
Oh not good news.

That really is a sad thing to read.

Thoughts go out to his family at the momment and Dina

Quasi
5th July 2009, 18:11
oh crap - this is such sad news. Dina - we are all thinking of you and your family.

scracha
5th July 2009, 19:23
RIP Gary. Condolences to your family.

kiwifruit
5th July 2009, 19:26
R.I.P Garry

chanceyy
5th July 2009, 19:31
heartfelt condolences Dina

RIP Garry

Weaver
5th July 2009, 19:37
A damn good guy.
R.I.P Gary.

Her_C4
5th July 2009, 21:08
This is such sad news - my thoughts are with Dina and the family at this time.

et al
5th July 2009, 21:32
So sorry to hear of Garry's passing - he was a "salt of the earth" type of guy whose dedication and commitment towards running the Sprint and Hillclimb events brought so much enjoyment to so many people. RIP Garry and my sincere condolences to Dina.

sels1
6th July 2009, 08:52
Very sad news. Our condolences to Dina and the family

Duke girl
6th July 2009, 10:31
Condolences to Dina and to the rest of the committee members of the Cliffhanger promotions.
You have done so much for Motorcycling NZ towards running such a Great & Exciting Event in the Sprints and Hillclimbes to which so many Motorcycling enthuists have enjoyed competing in and spectating at.
May your memory live on forever. RIP Garry.

sinfull
6th July 2009, 10:41
That sucks big time ! Lot of time for that man !!!
My condolences to you Dina and Garry's closest, major loss to us all !

Foxzee
6th July 2009, 15:46
That's awful news....

Condolences to Dina, family and friends of Garry's. He will certainly be missed.

Sue VFR
6th July 2009, 18:17
Very sad news.
Our sympathy and strength to Dina.

JayRacer37
6th July 2009, 19:27
Thats really terrible.

Rachelle and I send our deepest condolences.

Jay

Mooch
6th July 2009, 20:47
Certainly will miss him on the start line at the cliff-hanger events and the odd conversation during. He was kind enough not to smile when I grabbed a handful of neutral on one of my standing 1/4's .

RIP Gary. Dina , condolences from Angela & I

Neal

If anyone would like to leave comments / tributes then you can also use the link below.

http://www.tributes.co.nz/ViewMyTribute.aspx?id=4099

Deano
7th July 2009, 08:41
As stated in the first post - I am aiming to leave Caltex Rimutaka at about 9.45am.

Can people please let me know if you will be attending ?

Given the amount of work Garry did in order to run the sprints and cliffhanger, it would be great to show our appreciation with a large contingent of bikes.

Her_C4
7th July 2009, 08:45
I am aiming to attend the funeral at this stage Deano but will not be on my bike :pinch:

Mooch
7th July 2009, 08:50
Deano , See you at Caltex, will be on the bike. Mooch

Lissa
7th July 2009, 09:29
Sad news

RIP Garry and condolences to Dina and family.

Number One
7th July 2009, 11:06
Sorry to hear. Regards to Dina and family.

Str8 Jacket
7th July 2009, 16:20
Can people please let me know if you will be attending ?

Sorry mate, I cant make it. Please give Dina my love!!! Malcolm will be attending, not sure if he's meeting up with you guy's or not though. He will be on the fixxer....

svs
7th July 2009, 17:46
RIP Garry - the cliffhanger and sprint events are a testament to the work you put in.

wilber
7th July 2009, 22:48
RIP Garry ,yes I will be there but not on the bike.

ducatilover
9th July 2009, 19:46
RIP Garry, I am sad I couldn't make it :argh:

Nasty
9th July 2009, 20:40
RIP ... met Garry a number of times, he really was a top bloke!

Clivoris
10th July 2009, 17:38
Gutted I never saw this until after the funeral. I didn't know Gary very well at all but he's another one of motorcycling's characters gone. Best we honour his memory by making the next hillclimb a big one.:headbang:

Deano
10th July 2009, 17:42
Gutted I never saw this until after the funeral. I didn't know Gary very well at all but he's another one of motorcycling's characters gone. Best we honour his memory by making the next hillclimb a big one.:headbang:

That's the idea bro. There was quite a bit of talk about continuing it as a tribute to him.

Str8 Jacket
10th July 2009, 19:27
That's the idea bro. There was quite a bit of talk about continuing it as a tribute to him.

Cool, I will definately put my hand up now to help out on the comittee and during the event. Im alot smarter than most people think and I can help organise and and be useful and shit... :p

I agree though, this one has to be huge. But to make that happen Dina and the crew are going to need alot of support!

Deano
10th July 2009, 19:34
Im alot smarter than most people think and I can help organise and and be useful and shit... :p

And we certainly need your "shit" to keep the racers in line Hel's. :niceone:

Str8 Jacket
10th July 2009, 19:37

:shake: <shithead> <shithead>

Drumboy4468
13th July 2009, 07:55
I received a text just now informing me of Garys passing. I am very sad to hear the news and wish to convey my condolances to all close to him especialy Dina.
It was my great pleasure to compete in many of the quarter mile events and the last two hill climbs and allso play in the band at the last one a few days before my shift to sydney.
RIP gary. You will be missed by many.

How about the idea of adding a cup to the competition in his name?

Paul in NZ
13th July 2009, 19:54
A cup? Good idea, I'd kick in for that....

wharfy
13th July 2009, 21:41
Very sad news indeed.
Condolences to Dina and all Gary's family and friends.

koba
14th July 2009, 06:51

Good idea.

I could build one.

James Deuce
14th July 2009, 14:08
Wow! There was more of the A left than Hels told me then?

Str8 Jacket
14th July 2009, 14:13
Wow! There was more of the A left than Hels told me then?

Yep, an indicator was intact as was a lever from memory... The A is but a distant memory now... :(

I am definately behind the idea of a Cup in memory of Garry. I thik that this should go without saying...

Number One
14th July 2009, 14:32
And she is good looking and reads good and does other stuff good too!

Idea of a cup in his name is a good un too :niceone:

Drumboy4468
18th July 2009, 17:53
I have moved back to nz after living in aus for four months ( god did i miss nz) and was thinking about where a tribute cup could fit in. It could even be somthing like " fastest newcomer" or anything really. I tyhink it should be done

koba
19th July 2009, 12:28
I have moved back to nz after living in aus for four months ( god did i miss nz) and was thinking about where a tribute cup could fit in. It could even be somthing like " fastest newcomer" or anything really. I tyhink it should be done

yeah, fastest newcomer, fastest overall, anything really.
Could even have Dinas pick for coolest or whatever.

Clivoris
23rd July 2009, 15:36
yeah, fastest newcomer, fastest overall, anything really.
Could even have Dinas pick for coolest or whatever.

My vote is for "the most outrageous (non-violent) behaviour" at the rally, or biggest hangover? It will have to be one of those trophies that you can only win once otherwise Spider will monopolise it. BTW, has anyone ever seen Spider clean-shaven with a body-wax? I saw that Bruno geezer on the news the other day and.........

Str8 Jacket
23rd July 2009, 16:45
My vote is for "the most outrageous (non-violent) behaviour" at the rally, or biggest hangover?

:devil2: <booyah> <booyah>

Drumboy4468
23rd July 2009, 18:44
If my band apear again this year but perhaps only wearing a single sock each we could win the trophy????

koba
23rd July 2009, 20:14
If my band apear again this year but perhaps only wearing a single sock each we could win the trophy????

Hasn't that been done before?
Surely you have to push the boundries further...

jellywrestler
23rd July 2009, 21:39

on what part of the body will said sock be worn?

Clivoris
24th July 2009, 09:22
Hasn't that been done before?
Surely you have to push the boundries further...

Mmmm. Perhaps a trophy for the quickest "Naked" time?:gob:

Beck*albrett
24th July 2009, 11:36
I received a text just now informing me of Garys passing. I am very sad to hear the news and wish to convey my condolances to all close to him especialy Dina.
It was my great pleasure to compete in many of the quarter mile events and the last two hill climbs and allso play in the band at the last one a few days before my shift to sydney.
RIP gary. You will be missed by many.

I have talked to mum (Dina) and we thought a cup for the most improved on the weekend or something similar to that, what does everybody think? I am going to try and be more involved even though i am in melbourne.

Deano
24th July 2009, 11:40
I have talked to mum (Dina) and we thought a cup for the most improved on the weekend or something similar to that, what does everybody think? I am going to try and be more involved even though i am in melbourne.

Sounds great on both counts Beck.

Beck*albrett
24th July 2009, 15:01
I had a good talk to Kevin Jenson when he was over aswell and he thought people might like to contribute to the cost of the cup.
We need to keep these events a great success as a tribute to dad(garry)
Myself,mathew,craig and wes(matts flatemate) will be representing cliffhanger at the moto gp this year:)

Drumboy4468
24th July 2009, 17:28
nobody wants to see me in a single sock no mater what part of the body I wear it on lol.
I am happy to lend a hand with organisation if that helps.
One thought i had was that if there is going to be a tent set up before friday night there could be a band both nights perhaps? ( no im not gunning for two gigs lol)

ajturbo
24th July 2009, 17:34
hey..

wasn't i the first buell up this track....

i just have to win SOMETHING.....

even if i only beat the A...

Str8 Jacket
24th July 2009, 17:45
I had a good talk to Kevin Jenson when he was over aswell and he thought people might like to contribute to the cost of the cup.
We need to keep these events a great success as a tribute to dad(garry)
Myself,mathew,craig and wes(matts flatemate) will be representing cliffhanger at the moto gp this year:)

Hey great idea! I dont want to tread on anyone's toes here but, is it possible to have a raffle? Im sure we could find a company to donate a decent prize or something like that... I have no doubt that people will be happy to contribute to the cost as well but there is always a need for money to keep these events running. Just a thought...

Beck*albrett
24th July 2009, 18:14
not a bad idea at all, i am going down to a couple of motorcycle shops over here to see if i can get anything, even just to get our name out over here.
I will sweet talk them, easy!!:niceone:

Str8 Jacket
24th July 2009, 18:31
not a bad idea at all, i am going down to a couple of motorcycle shops over here to see if i can get anything, even just to get our name out over here.

Cool, let me know if you ned any help with anything!

Beck*albrett
24th July 2009, 18:39
cool,thanks im sure i will be able to get something :done:

koba
24th July 2009, 18:48

It would be great to see interest from over the ditch.

Beck*albrett
24th July 2009, 23:07
Dads (garrys) best friend Kevin Jenson ,who now lives in brisbane has kindly said that he would like to pay for the 'cup' in memory of Dad. They grew up together and have been best friends forever and think this is awesome :2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Clivoris
26th July 2009, 15:56
This is feeling very awesome. It will be quite an emotional event this year.

MATT ALBRETT
28th July 2009, 02:26
thank you everyone for all your support. thank you to everyone who came to the service.

Gate0r
6th August 2009, 10:06
Sad news. RIP Garry