PDA

View Full Version : Who can do a Ducati 2V shim service? (AKL)

FastBikeGear
11th July 2009, 00:07
Can anyone adivise who can do a Ducati 2V shim service in Auckland other than Haldanes?

Nothing against Haldanes (They seem to have a dood reputation - but quoted me $600 bucks which was higher than expected). Just want to to know if their are any alternatives for the shim service. I can do all my other servicing but don't have a shim stack.

Little Miss Trouble
11th July 2009, 10:42
Can anyone adivise who can do a Ducati 2V shim service in Auckland other than Haldanes?

Nothing against Haldanes (They seem to have a dood reputation - but quoted me $600 bucks which was higher than expected). Just want to to know if their are any alternatives for the shim service. I can do all my other servicing but don't have a shim stack.

Try Motohaus (09) 8158384

FastBikeGear
11th July 2009, 11:00
Try Motohaus (09) 8158384

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. I checked with Motohaus (a.k.a KTL) and while they do some Ducati servicing they don't do shim adjustments. I guess they don't have a shim kit.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

BMWST?
11th July 2009, 11:25
ask if Haldanes will exchange shims....and do it yourself .You will need some way of confirming the shim thickness.It measns of course the bike will be off the raod for the return trip to haldanes,unless you wan tot put it together and pull it aprt twice

FastBikeGear
13th August 2009, 16:51
To answer my own question ... and to give plug for great service. I discovered Toby Beadle out in West Auckland and got him to do the job for me.

Great guy to deal with. He was also happy for me to watch while he did the job and even teach me how to do it for myself next time. However because he's got a professionally equipped workshop at home ... and his charge was extremely reasonable (I guess he doesn't have the overheads of leasing an expensive workshop and running staff) I'll just get him to do it next time!

He's obviously pretty popular with Harley, Ducati and Buell owners as these seem to make up a fair proportion of his work.

Disclaimer: I have no affilitiations with Toby Beadle I just like to plug great friendly service.

Toby Beadle
Auckland Motorcycle Services
Ph: 09 8351172 or 0274 456568

mnkyboy
24th August 2009, 09:38
To answer my own question ... and to give plug for great service. I discovered Toby Beadle out in West Auckland and got him to do the job for me.

Great guy to deal with. He was also happy for me to watch while he did the job and even teach me how to do it for myself next time. However because he's got a professionally equipped workshop at home ... and his charge was extremely reasonable (I guess he doesn't have the overheads of leasing an expensive workshop and running staff) I'll just get him to do it next time!

He's obviously pretty popular with Harley, Ducati and Buell owners as these seem to make up a fair proportion of his work.

Disclaimer: I have no affilitiations with Toby Beadle I just like to plug great friendly service.

Toby Beadle
Auckland Motorcycle Services
Ph: 09 8351172 or 0274 456568

How much - just FMI

FastBikeGear
24th August 2009, 10:49
Don't think it would be fair for me to quote the figure here. However compared to the pricing I was quoted elsewhere the charge was very reasonable.

Can I recommend that you get a quote/estimate from Toby and anyone else you are considering doing the job?

Be aware it's a bit tricky to quote on the job because it depends on how many shims you require and whether you decide to also replace the shim retaining clips.

Be aware that changing the shim retaining clips may negate the need to change some of the shims as putting in new clips closes up the valve closing gaps very slightly.

Perhaps the best idea is to do what I did and ask for a separate quote for the labour and the parts.

StoneY
24th August 2009, 10:53
On same topic - different city -
Is there anyone else in Wellington like this chap out West Auckland that we can see here?

I have been quoted fairly high prices for my own 2v shim/valve job when due at 20k-
Seeking same advice as the thread starter (sorry for the hijack m8 :niceone: )

celticbhoy
24th August 2009, 13:59
On same topic - different city -
Is there anyone else in Wellington like this chap out West Auckland that we can see here?

I have been quoted fairly high prices for my own 2v shim/valve job when due at 20k-
Seeking same advice as the thread starter (sorry for the hijack m8 :niceone: )

Just out of interest as mine is not far away...what around about were you qouted? (I assume from the welly duc dealer?)