PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki gpx250 89 model knocking

mbikeman1
13th July 2009, 23:15
hey there,i have a gpx that makes a bad knock under 2000rpm.it goes away with a rev and also once clutch is pulled in.ive been told its normal for this in this model bike and would like to know what the cause is so i can sort it out.any info or advise appreciated:no::bye:

Squiggles
13th July 2009, 23:29
How many k's on it? They're known to have a fair knock, although i've heard a couple of rattley clutch baskets on them

mbikeman1
13th July 2009, 23:34
i currentlyhave the clutch basket out and the is about 5 to 8 mm movement in the clutch basket(can move the cog that much before the basket turns as well).there appears to be no way of tightening it up though

98tls
13th July 2009, 23:39
Not familar with the model of bike but does it do it when hot or cold?Edit,just read your last reply,what are the legs like on the basket?Maybe file them smooth.

mbikeman1
13th July 2009, 23:45
also it does seem to be quieter when warm

Squiggles
14th July 2009, 00:34

When the mrs had one with the rattle a while back the mech put it down to one of the bearings being on the way out, cannot remember which one it was in this schematic (http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ninja-250r-ex250f11-us-1997-clutch/o/m4003sch73528) though.

mbikeman1
17th July 2009, 00:06
in that pic.i can replace the little one easy as just will have to order the roller bearing i geus

NDORFN
17th July 2009, 07:14
It's the rubber things (maybe bushes?) in the clutch (basket?). When I bought my old 88 GPX it had a nasty knock but the dude gave me a spear gear box (whatever it is... the WHOLE thing ie. plates, springs etc...) and described what was causing it. When I had it swapped over I could see the rubber on the old one was worn to hell. I know I'm shit at desribing this but I do know that replacing them is the only way to remedy that knock.

mbikeman1
17th July 2009, 21:54
:sweatdrop thanks for that,from what you have said it sounds like your right.i thought id get it susd out today so i went and orderd a new clutch basket.i also took the old one to an engineers and had them weld the bits that were moving and then i cleaned it up and put it back in and its nice and quiet now.i cant see any rubbers on it though but that would explain the movement.just in case some one thinks that was a bit of a maori job im not planning to use the bike till i get the replacement clutch basket as i just wanted to be sure that was the problem, so all sorted on the noise problem,now im off to give the carbs a tickle as they are not balanced very well.THANK YOU ALL :bye:

MSTRS
18th July 2009, 10:08
These engines are also well-known for a bottom-end engine knock at idle, esp when cold. The bigger twins do it as well.