PDA

View Full Version : Air bags. Watch this on helmet air bags

hogfire
20th July 2009, 13:11
Helmet Air bags something i found on youtube. Could be good for increasing safety. Maybe one day could be compulsary in NZ one day.

Just Watch! Have a laugh at a few scooters get owned and test dumbies.

Copy and past this link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9Ud-au8oQ

But you gota ask yourself is the world becoming wrapped in bubble wrap and are we trying to protect ourselves too much.

Owl
20th July 2009, 20:13
The splits at the end looked painfull.:pinch:

p.dath
20th July 2009, 20:14
Just what I want - an explosive next to my head.

hogfire
20th July 2009, 20:33

It may be an explosive, but cant blow off your head because then it would just be a stupid product.

If it can increase your chances. Why shouldnt it be

NordieBoy
20th July 2009, 20:33

As opposed to a tank full of it between your legs :D

LBD
20th July 2009, 20:45
should be available in NZ if wanted by an individual, but not compulsary...

hogfire
20th July 2009, 21:53

Exactly! Couldnt agree more

hogfire
20th July 2009, 21:54
should be available in NZ if wanted by an individual, but not compulsary...

Its just a thought. But if it was to be made compulsary

sAsLEX
20th July 2009, 22:08

Petrol falls into class 3 HCC, not 1!

Not an explosive!

EJK
20th July 2009, 22:13
Nah, not a compulsory. But seems it will work.

hogfire
20th July 2009, 22:15
Petrol falls into class 3 HCC, not 1!

Not an explosive!

Still goes up in flames and fuckn hurts. Trust Me!

h_tron
20th July 2009, 22:51
how does it activate the airbag? lanyard to the neck or accelerometer or something:buggerd::buggerd:

hogfire
21st July 2009, 09:24
how does it activate the airbag? lanyard to the neck or accelerometer or something:buggerd::buggerd:

No idea. Just saw the clip on youtube and thought it was a good idea

JMemonic
21st July 2009, 09:47
The first section of the clip, where the dummy was upside down and smacking into the object on the floor am I wrong in thinking without the air bag thingy the visor survived and with it disintegrated into the face of the dummy.

Also looking at the operation one could achieve the desired affect with a simple neck brace.

vifferman
21st July 2009, 09:52
Also looking at the operation one could achieve the desired affect with a simple neck brace.
Perhaps, but at the expense of head mobility when you need it (like ALL the time, apart from when you crash).

NordieBoy
21st July 2009, 11:27
But the neck brace is visible all the time.

Perhaps, but at the expense of head mobility when you need it (like ALL the time, apart from when you crash).
Have you worn a neck brace?
You still have mobility but not at the extremes.

vifferman
21st July 2009, 11:52
Have you worn a neck brace?
You still have mobility but not at the extremes.
No, I haven't. But I do know that even a little bit of restriction in head movement is really annoying and potentially dangerous. I guess you'd get used to it and adapt.

avgas
21st July 2009, 12:05
I don't see the point - why add more air to an air-head.
Its just like those loud mouth pricks who use stebels :devil2:

hogfire
21st July 2009, 12:33

Plus the added weight to the helmet. A better helmet weighs less and not as likely to get a sore neck from longer riding

JMemonic
21st July 2009, 12:58
Plus the added weight to the helmet. A better helmet weighs less and not as likely to get a sore neck from longer riding

And if I am seeing it right the weight is at the rear of the helmet, I suspect it would be uncomfortable.

I do wonder about the viability and safety of such a device given how preciously the car ones are treated after an accident if they have not activated, imho an interesting concept but that video does not prove to me that it is necessarily better or safer, sure I can see the potential but it not there yet.

hogfire
21st July 2009, 13:23
And if I am seeing it right the weight is at the rear of the helmet, I suspect it would be uncomfortable.

I do wonder about the viability and safety of such a device given how preciously the car ones are treated after an accident if they have not activated, imho an interesting concept but that video does not prove to me that it is necessarily better or safer, sure I can see the potential but it not there yet.

See what happens. This could be a glimpse into the future. Who knows

NordieBoy
21st July 2009, 13:37
I think I prefer the idea of the airbag jacket to the airbag helmet.

Don't drop your helmet :D

The Pastor
21st July 2009, 16:12
a while back someone posted a prototype of a full body suit air bag that fully encapulated the rider in an acident, now that idea would be kinda cool, if it could fit in a small backpack etc, rolling down the road instead of sliding down it appels to me somewhat.

LBD
21st July 2009, 23:00
Its just a thought. But if it was to be made compulsary

There would be no end to legislation to protect us from ourselves....next you will not be able to ride a scooter to the shop with out full CE approved safety gear.....no not compulsary IMO.

BMWST?
22nd July 2009, 09:33
slightly unrelated but you can see the value of a helmet in all those crashes,esp the 45 degree one where the helmet smack the gutter!This device built into the jacket would be better i reckon.Not compulsory.Air bags arent compulsory in cars .

ready4whatever
24th July 2009, 13:41
it kinda activated after his head was already smacked in