PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a source for Magnecor or NGK leads in NZ?

FastBikeGear
22nd July 2009, 17:00
Many thanks in advance,

TK3
22nd July 2009, 17:38
What you after?

F5 Dave
22nd July 2009, 21:18
NGK distributed (wholesale only) by Darbi avail through most bike shops, not sure if they sell lead separately. Can't use car stuff as non copper cored, but guess you know that.

FastBikeGear
22nd July 2009, 23:29
NGK distributed (wholesale only) by Darbi avail through most bike shops, not sure if they sell lead separately. Can't use car stuff as non copper cored, but guess you know that.

Why would I need copper cored leads on a bike and not on a car?

later edit: Oh I think I have just figured it out. I am guessing if I cant get the leads in the pre made configuration I need then I require coper cores to screw the elbow connectors into?

FastBikeGear
22nd July 2009, 23:31
What you after?

2 x 24 inch leads (red would be nice) with elbow clip on connectors at each end.

Need the clipons that work with the screw on spark plug caps fitted.

Thanks for your help in advance.

TK3
23rd July 2009, 06:39
2 x 24 inch leads (red would be nice) with elbow clip on connectors at each end.

Need the clipons that work with the screw on spark plug caps fitted.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I can get them but they only come in 50cm or 100cm. have a look and see which one you need. http://street.parts-unlimited.com/4/379/7860359?q=ngk

F5 Dave
23rd July 2009, 17:50
Why would I need copper cored leads on a bike and not on a car?

later edit: Oh I think I have just figured it out. I am guessing if I cant get the leads in the pre made configuration I need then I require coper cores to screw the elbow connectors into?

Silicon car ones have a lot of loss in them, a car ign will cope no drama, but a bike will start a mystery misfire

FastBikeGear
23rd July 2009, 19:34
Silicon car ones have a lot of loss in them, a car ign will cope no drama, but a bike will start a mystery misfire

When you say loss I am guessing that you are referring to voltage drop due to resistance. It seems that many leads, plugs and caps are made resistive to stop EMI and RFI interference with radios and electronic ignition and fuel injection systems and radios.

The resistance of pre-made resistive type Spark plug leads is typically anywhere up to 16kohms. This rsistance is comprised of the resistance designed into the leads and caps.

Due to the very large pulse and steep rise time the current travels on the outside of the conductors in the lead and experiences little impedance. (Same thing as what happens with high frequency current on stereo speaker wires). So it could be that the resistance of the condutor in the lead has little effect on the spark.

It could be that the same skin effect does not take place on the resistors in the caps? So it could be that resistive caps have more effect on spark strength than do resistance of the conductors in the leads?

I did a bit of research on the Interweb and the NGK racing leads are copper cored (very low resistance) but the plugs NGK fit and sell for use on these leads use resistive spark plug caps (I think about 5kohm) and coil connectors (again about 5kohm). The DPR8EA-9 plugs which are recommended fitment for my bike are also the resistive type (again about 5K ohm).

Anyway food for comment for someone wiser than myself