PDA

View Full Version : '08 Yamaha R1 Cam lobes worn

locomotive
26th July 2009, 03:34
We race an R1 in a Superstock class. Twice now within 2 races the lobes on the inlet and exhaust cams have started wearing. The shim buckets are also worn. We run Motul 300v 4T 5w30. No other parts worn. The # 3 cylinder inlet was the worst. The oil level is run at about 3/4 up the window. Oil pump has been changed and all channels checked for blockage's. Anyone had a similar problem?

CookMySock
26th July 2009, 06:22
Have you checked its' oil pressure? What reason for running the non-standard API oil?

Steve

locomotive
26th July 2009, 06:36
No I have not. After the rebuild now I am going to feed the oil pressure into my data logger (AIM EV03) to monitor it. The R1 only has a quantity sensor and no pressure sensor as standard. I run Motul as we are sponsored by the importer, have run 300 V since 2004 when running R6's and then an '06 R1 and have never had any lube problems. The bike has a Power Commander and Dynojet Ignition unit on but otherwise the motor is standard. I have also checked the shim buckets for binding, the valve clearances were good before the race (inlet 0.203, exhaust 0.330) and a new oil filter. Really puzzled with this.

bsasuper
26th July 2009, 09:25
I had a zx6 with the same problem, not a race bike though.Lobes damaged after 10000km.Changed under warranty, found out later the profile of some cams fitted was to aggressive.Its expected these days with the high rev limits i guess

breakaway
26th July 2009, 09:45
A 2008 model motorcycle loaded with all the latest tech has no oil pressure switch? Really?