PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Pegaso 650 valve shims/timing?

DrifterIII
26th July 2009, 19:20
Does anybody know if there is anything that has the same valve shims as a pegaso?
They are 30mm dia, I havent tried yet but most pegaso parts seem hard to find.
When I checked the valve clearance the valve timing was not set to TDC making it a tooth out,the bike ran ok but what difference would the valve timing being retarded by 1/36 make?
Previous work had been done by a local bike shop before I purchased the peg.

Thanks for any replies
Bill

tri boy
26th July 2009, 20:03
Hi Bill,:sunny:
Welcome to the site. I had a quick look at my shim kits, and the closest i can see to 30mm are the older style,(GS/GSX) Suzi shims at 29.0mm.
They are slightly chamfered? at the edges. Not sure if these are right, but popping down to a Suzi dealer with one of yours could sort it out.
(Old Honda's are 25mm approx, then you get into old underbucket, and new smaller sizes).
Hope this helps.:done:
A good site to check is http://www.sudco.com/95valveshims.html

Re, the timing thing. double check it, then put it right. MHO

DrifterIII
2nd August 2009, 20:05
I go the intake shims machined and left the exhaust as they were.
set the timing up as in the manual, it starts a lot easier.
Once the weather improves I will see if there is any improvement in performance/economy.

erik
2nd August 2009, 20:25
late now, but this might be of use for future reference:
http://www.precisionshims.com.au/index.html

DrifterIII
25th October 2009, 16:50
Fuelconomy increased by 3-4k/litre.
no noticable increase in bottom end but pulls a lot better over 100k.
just have to fix cam chain noises now

ratlicker
16th December 2011, 23:35
Ref: Drfiter III - I see in your post that you have some info on valve timing for the pegaso. I've been searching the internet for days to try to find a workshop manual as I need to do the valve timing and have come up with nothing. If you or anyone else could come up with any info, would be greatly appreciated. Cheers:

Henk
17th December 2011, 07:45
I might be miles off target here but I thought the pegaso used the same rotax sourced engine as the early gs650 beemers.

Grumph
17th December 2011, 18:55
I might be miles off target here but I thought the pegaso used the same rotax sourced engine as the early gs650 beemers.

Apparently not so...the race rotax/BMW motor I built used Suzuki GS size shims - and in the end GS buckets too.