PDA

View Full Version : 955i Triumph cold start noise?

Naki Rat
31st July 2009, 21:10
From time to time, and more especially on a very cold start the Sprint will make a loud droning noise which seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Occasionally this will not be immediate on starting but will start happening during the warm up period. Stopping the engine and restarting solves the problem.

I can visualise the likes of something not disengaging as the symptoms seem this way inclined. Anybody else encountered this, or solved it?

Sensei
31st July 2009, 21:31
Call Kerry Wallis at TripleFourensics in Opunake 067618289 he services Triumphs for a living & is one of the best there is . Tell him Scott with the RSVR sent you .

YellowDog
31st July 2009, 21:47
Hey Naki Rat. Sorry to hear about these problems. Will be intersted to hear the outcome.

ynot slow
2nd August 2009, 10:52
Noise is 1 cylinder to many or to less.:2guns:

The mayor of Opunake is your man to see (as per Sensei).Then when all fixed a nice journey to Whanga and back.

oldrider
2nd August 2009, 11:03
Call Kerry Wallis at TripleFourensics in Opunake 067618289 he services Triumphs for a living & is one of the best there is . Tell him Scott with the RSVR sent you .

+1 Right on your back door too! :shifty:

Owl
2nd August 2009, 11:38

+3 The man is a legend!:yes:

Noise is 1 cylinder to many or to less.:2guns:

You'll keep!:bleh:

ynot slow
2nd August 2009, 13:01
+3 The man is a legend!:yes:

You'll keep!:bleh:

Only stating the obvious on both counts.:shit:

You must be due a trip up soon.Hell I was nearly going to grab an ST 955 2003? was bloody hard decision not to when tossing up over bandit or st,cheaper bandit won over.

Owl
2nd August 2009, 18:49
Only stating the obvious on both counts.:shit:

You must be due a trip up soon.Hell I was nearly going to grab an ST 955 2003? was bloody hard decision not to when tossing up over bandit or st,cheaper bandit won over.

:laugh:

I'll be a while away from heading up there. I can do basic stuff myself, but get Kerry to do the tricky stuff like shims etc. Then of course he goes and fixes the basic stuff I've got wrong!:D

oldrider
3rd August 2009, 11:27
From time to time, and more especially on a very cold start the Sprint will make a loud droning noise which seems to be coming from the front of the engine. Occasionally this will not be immediate on starting but will start happening during the warm up period. Stopping the engine and restarting solves the problem.

I can visualise the likes of something not disengaging as the symptoms seem this way inclined. Anybody else encountered this, or solved it?

Please don't forget to post the answer to your original problem on here, will you!

So many of these KB threads just peter out to a nothing conclusion. :sick:

Big Dave
3rd August 2009, 15:38
Worn clutch plates/springs for 5.

Naki Rat
4th August 2009, 13:48
Please don't forget to post the answer to your original problem on here, will you!

Will do but other commitments have taken over from bike worries this week, like eggs hatching, ewes lambing, minor surgery, job hunting..... :chase::doctor:

oldrider
4th August 2009, 21:48
Will do but other commitments have taken over from bike worries this week, like eggs hatching, ewes lambing, minor surgery, job hunting..... :chase::doctor:

Thank you. :niceone:

Naki Rat
9th September 2009, 09:15
Good weather for a ride yesterday so off to the Sugar Juice Cafe in Opunake and then paid Kerry Wallis at Triple Fourensics a visit. Very impressive workshop and operation :niceone:

Kerry's educated opinion was that a burred (or similar) spline is causing the outer clutch drum to not release freely. The Sprint is due for a service so Kerry is booked to do that in the near future so all should be revealed.

sinfull
9th September 2009, 09:27
Tell him to chuck a thethescope (sp) on the rocker box on the left hand side and have a listen to the flapper on the breather outlet !
My 955i Speed 3 used to have an unnearving noise (even when warm, but cold worse) at about 2.5-3000 rpm, where it would sit while the chokes on !

Before ya go spending toooo much money that is !

You could say a flap in a breather wouldn't sound like a drone, but i would've called it that !

Naki Rat
25th September 2009, 14:11

Picked up the Sprint from Kerry at Triple Fourensics this morning. His original diagnosis proved to be correct in that the clutch spline was slightly distorted due to overtightening of bolt during past service (before my ownership), causing the mechanism to bind on cold starts. A lot of other minor faults found and fixed during the service too.

Very wet ride home from Opunake so easy does it but the difference to the Sprint's state of tune and general 'feel' was obvious by the end of the street. Roll on fine weather for a good ride to see hoe she really performs now :2thumbsup

ynot slow
25th September 2009, 15:08
Bloody hell get your bike fixed and pick the coldest day to ride home lol.Glad it was a simple fix.

Naki Rat
25th September 2009, 22:26
Bloody hell get your bike fixed and pick the coldest day to ride home lol.Glad it was a simple fix.

Wasn't cold but it was fucken torrential in South Taranaki. Spool one peice kept the water out, and my gloves were overdue for a de-pong anyway :laugh:

Kerry did a full service so a few $s, but well worth it by the feel of it.

Owl
26th September 2009, 03:42
Pics or it didn't happen and I'm sure you'll have some.:msn-wink: Glad you're all sorted Naki Rat and cheers for following up!:yes:

I'm heading up to the Naki this morning to pick up a ute. Just hope the weather's fair?:sunny:

Naki Rat
26th September 2009, 11:04
Pics or it didn't happen and I'm sure you'll have some.:msn-wink: Glad you're all sorted Naki Rat and cheers for following up!:yes:

I'm heading up to the Naki this morning to pick up a ute. Just hope the weather's fair?:sunny:

Couple of samples from the CD supplied as part of the service :niceone:
Note high spots on spline in photo 3 which is preventing gear slipping off in photo 2.

Dooly
26th September 2009, 12:44
Kerry is a master of his trade.

My 2 Triumphs have been transformed by him and the Tuneboy setups.

sinfull
26th September 2009, 13:12
Kerry is a master of his trade.

My 2 Triumphs have been transformed by him and the Tuneboy setups.
Oi !!! When ya at the track next ?

oldrider
26th September 2009, 14:14
Note high spots on spline in photo 3 which is preventing gear slipping off in photo 2.

Thanks for the follow up Naki Rat, too many of these threads on KB just peter out to nothing, never to be heard of again!

The positives for Kerry and Triple Fourensics just keep coming on, pity they are not a bit closer...........but! :shifty: who knows! :ride: Have bike, can travel! :yes:

PS: Answer to your signature question: "I'm having it"!

ynot slow
26th September 2009, 16:08
Thanks for the follow up Naki Rat, too many of these threads on KB just peter out to nothing, never to be heard of again!

The positives for Kerry and Triple Fourensics just keep coming on, pity they are not a bit closer...........but! :shifty: who knows! :ride: Have bike, can travel! :yes:

PS: Answer to your signature question: "I'm having it"!

You can do it.And as a ex Nakian the trip is worth doing,summer is best,can usually see the mountain,and to be able to surf and ski the same day is a trueism.

Owl
26th September 2009, 16:15

See I knew you'd have pics!:laugh: I've got nearly 1000 to look over and they're bloody handy when you need to check on something.

I see what you mean by the high spots.

Dooly
26th September 2009, 16:57
Oi !!! When ya at the track next ?

As Mungo Jerry said mate....'In the summertime'.
Yeah I'm soft.:soon: