PDA

View Full Version : Duc 904 belts

mnkyboy
4th August 2009, 16:27
How hard are they to do - along with valve clearances?

I've got tools a manual and enough mechanical knowledge, however sometimes thats a recepie for disaster.

I am not daunted by it but would rather know if it's a minefield or not.

jim.cox
4th August 2009, 16:38

Valve clearances are easy to check - a little harder to adjust (especially on bevel motors)

Belts are easy to change, no surprises.

There are a couple of tricks that make it easier:

- make sure you can see the tdc marks, and turn motor to tdc before removing old belt.

- Easiest cehck on tension is to be able to pass a 5mm allen key between belt and pulley.

There are a couple of videos floating around that clearly explain the process - you might even find them on YouTube

Voltaire
4th August 2009, 21:04
I had to look up 904.....modern bikes passed me by......
I did the belts on my ss and just followed the you tube vid.
got the belts at Haldanes.
Same with the valves, but they only needed checking, easy enough with the engine turning tool, feeler guages and a digital vernier.
First bike I have owned that I had to remove the battery and take of the shock to check the valves.....ah BMW's......so simple.
As said above, changing shims looks to be more involved ( measuring shims....getting shims..... refiting the collets without the urge to spend more on fancy collets...etc).

idb
4th August 2009, 21:30
It's not so bad, just take your time and be methodical.
The first time I did them was over winter so that I could take a couple of weeks.

mnkyboy
5th August 2009, 17:57
Belts checked and adjusted - looks as though they were changed when it came into the country (its a 07 import)

Valves within tolerances

Carbs filthy and need a good clean - dissasembling now

Chain fukd and needs replacing

Apart from that fine

Not really a major job - fairly basic motors it appears

Now to do carbs and wait 26 more days before i can ride it:no:

RDjase
5th August 2009, 20:24

I've got tools a manual and enough mechanical knowledge, however sometimes thats a recepie for disaster.

I am not daunted by it but would rather know if it's a minefield or not.

The belts are easy to do, you can get belts from Seaco bearings, they have a Gates number on the Duke belt and you get the Gates belt without Ducati written on it, i got them for under $100(i am in the trade so i got discount) the pair, i will try and find the invoice and part numbers for you. Its is listed in a Gates belt book if you find someone at your local shop that is on to it,