PDA

View Full Version : ZZR600 leaking oil out of waterpump tell tale weep hole

howdamnhard
12th August 2009, 22:06
Started noticing an oil patch under bike which progressively got worst. Traced it to the water pump tell tale hole which is there to let you know when the carbon seal dies and starts leaking water. Seems to be a Kawasaki thing. New pump costs $310 and getting a 2nd hand waterpump is like playing Russian roulette.
Pulled the waterpump out,seemed to be in pretty good nick .Impellor has no in-and-play but slight back-and forth and its not leaking water.The oil seal on the drive side came out to easily (loose) and sealing lip has a nick . It's caused the oil to leak past the seal , past the bearings and out of the tell tale hole.
Anybody know any good places in Akld to get oil seals from. Kawasaki don't have a breakdown for the waterpump. Also has anyone ever had one apart and know what it looks like inside. The problem is once I replace the seal the bearings won't be lubricated anymore and the oil has probably washed out the grease. Getting the bearings out to repack them without damaging the carbon/waterseal would be a challenge ( probably why Kawa don't have a parts breakdown for them).
Anybody been down this road before, constructive advice welcome?

Max Preload
12th August 2009, 22:56
Seal Imports or Seal House.

howdamnhard
12th August 2009, 23:19
Seal Imports or Seal House.

Thanks for that Max.

howdamnhard
28th August 2009, 16:15
Well replaced the oil seal after repacking the bearing with grease (was washed out by oil) . New O-ring and refitted the waterpump. Seems to be holding out well. Fixed for less than $20 much better than $300 for a new pump or $120 for a 2nd hand one so chuffed.:banana:

It's good to be back on the road again,was getting withdrawal symptoms.

giovasuperganz
29th March 2011, 10:22
hello mate I m italian customer of zzr600 d manufactered in 1990...
I had same problem on water pump..oil leak from tell tale hole...
how you sort the problem??wich kind of seal you used??
thank you in advance
regard
giovanni

howdamnhard
5th April 2011, 03:45
hello mate I m italian customer of zzr600 d manufactered in 1990...
I had same problem on water pump..oil leak from tell tale hole...
how you sort the problem??wich kind of seal you used??
thank you in advance
regard
giovanni

Hiya Giovanni. I can't remember the oil seal size. Just remove the waterpump(drain the coolant first) and remove the oil seal and get a commercial oil seal of the same size.
Goodluck

giovasuperganz
30th April 2011, 05:46
hello guys
I have found which seal is..
kawasaky does not sell the seal itself....
but its the same seal as honda genuine parts..
here the part number:91201-mf2-003
I fixed mine and saved about 130 euros for water pump..

Wheeliemonsta
30th April 2011, 11:56
G'day,
The bulk of Kawasaki "Ninja" (read 4 cyl) take the same seal which is 92049 1416 - it's not common knowldge & the seal doesn't readily appear in most of the parts diagrams...

Retails for about $12.00 from memory

The mechanical seal for most of them is 49063 1055 which is around $42.00, again from memory...

There not a difficult pump to rebuild but the seals must be fitted correctly to ensure good service life

Cheers

:rockon:

RovaCrazy
18th December 2012, 19:17
Hey guys, I m glad to have come across this thread,

I have a situation I have been riding my bike and I have noticed a very small leak coming from the bottom of the water pump close to the bolts that hood the water pump. a few days ago a did an oil change on my bike and just today and the bike sounded like shit after turning it on and I am kind of worried. Any way, when I did the oil change, I noticed tiny bit of coolant in the oil and I was kind of puzzled by that and i don't have any idea how that got there. I have noticed that the level of coolant in the reservoir went dow a bit too.

So, Im thinking the pump and the oil have to come together close to the water pump may be the water pump is loose or something and got into the engine, I don't have much time.

what do you guys recommend I do,

I m pretty mechanical, I can fix just about anything, my questions to your the experts are:

Is the pump and the oil mechanism one at the water pump?
Do I need to replace my water pump?
is one or a few seals bad?
Is this normal for kawasaki of that year?
Can you guys suggest anything that I can do to eliminate the problem?
I miss riding,

any help is welcomed,

Thank You,

:brick:

pete376403
18th December 2012, 21:14
G'day,
The bulk of Kawasaki "Ninja" (read 4 cyl) take the same seal which is 92049 1416 - it's not common knowldge & the seal doesn't readily appear in most of the parts diagrams...

Retails for about $12.00 from memory

The mechanical seal for most of them is 49063 1055 which is around $42.00, again from memory...

There not a difficult pump to rebuild but the seals must be fitted correctly to ensure good service life

Cheers:rockon:
They are the same part numbers as for the KLR650 so maybe its a standard across the Kawasaki range.

Here is a very detailed how-to on the KLR pump - this info could help with the ZZR600
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/wpump.html