PDA

View Full Version : Dean Veale sets new land speed record at Bonneville

Lurch
13th August 2009, 10:06
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/2747955/Kiwi-sets-new-speed-record/

194.5mph on the White Elephant! good shit. :ride:

R6_kid
13th August 2009, 10:21
That bit about the umbrella at the end is pretty classic!

NZsarge
13th August 2009, 10:42
Congatulations to Dean and his crew from the Sargent Family.

Korumba
13th August 2009, 12:46
I just saw this I think this guy is over there with Alan Thoresen.
Man I would like so much to be there again this year.

Photo here as well http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Article/Kiwi-breaks-land-speed-record/878.aspx?Ne=145&N=4294967261

Dean Veale broke the record riding White Elephant, his special construction Hayabusa engine motorcycle.

With the existing record standing at 191.593mph (305kph), Veale confirmed his initial record breaking run of yesterday with a second “backup” run that set the new record at an average of 194.5mph (311.2kph).

Having come close two days earlier only to have changing track conditions see Veale miss the record by 0.5mph (0.8kph), this mornings conditions were near perfect.

Veale was his normal reserved self allowing himself only a satisfactory smile as he waited in the impound area to have the motorcycle stripped to confirm the legality of White Elephant for the 1650cc A-G Class. Extending his hand toward Veale, the inspector offered his congratulations as he confirmed the record with the words: “Welcome to the record books”.

Morcs
13th August 2009, 12:52
Good stuff.

FUnny though how many other people think they are in the three hundy club though lol.

wharfy
13th August 2009, 12:58
I just saw this I think this guy is over there with Alan Thoresen.
Man I would like so much to be there again this year.

Photo here as well http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Article/Kiwi-breaks-land-speed-record/878.aspx?Ne=145&N=4294967261

He is indeed over there with Alan, it is pretty cool.
They will both be going to Aus. to represent NZ in a Drag race series as well.

(They are both current NZ drag race champions in their respective classes)

car
13th August 2009, 14:03
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/2747955/Kiwi-sets-new-speed-record/

194.5mph on the White Elephant! good shit. :ride:

This is an honest question, because I'm obviously missing something somewhere, but the stock, original GSXR1300 was clocked at more than 195mph. I remember various mags airstrip testing it to see if it really could reach the 200mph claimed in the sales bumph. Not quite, but close, was the answer.

Like I say, I've obviously missed something about the class or the specifics of the record. Anyone care to enlighten me?

R6_kid
13th August 2009, 14:59
Like I say, I've obviously missed something about the class or the specifics of the record. Anyone care to enlighten me?

What it says on the speedo, and what it's actually doing across the ground are more often than not two very different speeds.

At the end of the day, an indicated 328kmh (i believe that was the claim) for the Hyabusa is more than fast enough for 99.9% of people. The fact that you may only really be doing 280kmh will be the last thing you care about when doing so... 285kmh indicated was more than fast enough for me on my old GSXR1000K3 :eek5::sweatdrop

Lurch
13th August 2009, 15:04
I believe that the class the record was for is the 1650cc A-G class. This means the frame is classified as Altered (Special Construction) and the engine is classified as Modified (and Gasoline)

And car is right that this isn't the fastest Hayabusa on earth.

CHOPPA
13th August 2009, 15:09
Seems strange to me that they have to do all those mods to the bike and go all the way over there to do the same speed as John Hepburn did (191.08mph) on a basically standard bike on some back road in the south island??? But good on em! If thats what i enjoyed id do the same...

YellowDog
13th August 2009, 15:44
>300kph is really quick.

Full credit for having the guts to hold the speed, but there isn't much riding to be done at that sort of speed.

The back room boys must have done something quite special to get the horses up so high.

phantom67
13th August 2009, 17:06
I don't get it. How can the land speed record only be a bit over 300km/h, when, as I recall, Max Biaggi did 320+km/h at Monza during WSBK, and the MotoGP riders regularly do well over 300?

Deano
13th August 2009, 17:09
I don't get it. How can the land speed record only be a bit over 300km/h, when, as I recall, Max Biaggi did 320+km/h at Monza during WSBK, and the MotoGP riders regularly do well over 300?

Depends on the class.

Dean never cracked 300kph at the cliffhanger sprints, so good on him for getting the record now.

We saw a fairly stock Gixxer do 306 and a bog standard R1 do 301. It shows you need to a lot of work to get every extra kph over 310.

Hiflyer
13th August 2009, 17:12
cos thats not officially timed

paturoa
13th August 2009, 17:47
And its not on dried salt!

James Deuce
13th August 2009, 18:02
That was a naked bike class. You need massive horsepower to do those speeds on a bike with the cd of a Fire Engine.

CHOPPA
13th August 2009, 18:03

Cause it has to be 20 degrees on a tuesday at 3.14pm on a leap year to actually qualify for the record i believe..

ital916
13th August 2009, 18:05
Eeeks ya think thats fast, pedrosa was clocked at over 349km/h (confirmed) at mugello. Only on the track there is an end in sight.....that end being a corner.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/Pedrosa+top+speed+record+mugello

Mind you, motogp bikes costs millions, put that into the busa and itll probably go even faster that 349 km/h.

Kickaha
13th August 2009, 18:06

two runs within a certain time, timed over a certain distance and the average of the two runs taken

sil3nt
13th August 2009, 18:11
And perhaps you all forgetting this is done on salt?

aahsv
13th August 2009, 18:15
Who said Kiwis can't fly :Punk:

James Deuce
13th August 2009, 18:20
Eeeks ya think thats fast, pedrosa was clocked at over 349km/h (confirmed) at mugello. Only on the track there is an end in sight.....that end being a corner.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/Pedrosa+top+speed+record+mugello

Mind you, motogp bikes costs millions, put that into the busa and itll probably go even faster that 349 km/h.

Seeing as my point is being ignored, that was a NAKED 'busa. No fairing. Towing a giant wall of drag.

A 'busa with a fairing and that bike's horsepower would have gone significantly faster.

wharfy
13th August 2009, 18:21

To get a record it has to be done under very strict conditions multiple runs (in both directions I think so no wind or slope advantage) and timed very accurately.

This is NOT the "OUTRIGHT" motorcycle record

To put things in perspective, the outright motorcycle speed record of 323 mph was set by a dual-engined, nitro-burning Harley that was claimed to be pumping out around 450 horsepower.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_9704_kawasaki_zx_11_bonneville/index.html

Thats a bit over 519 km/h !!!

I don't know exactly how they calculate the speeds of MotoGP bikes (I am guessing GPS or computer calculates revs+gear+gearing)

Shaun
13th August 2009, 18:38
Congratulations to Dean Veale on taking the land speed record at Salt Lake City:woohoo: :rockon: KIWI

Harvd
13th August 2009, 18:51
Linky? how fast?

puddy
13th August 2009, 20:50
And its not on dried salt!
What he said!

IIIRII
14th August 2009, 16:43
Last time I looked GP bikes ran full fairings,
Deans due back in about 2 weeks, Ill see if the wants to post something here /

k14
14th August 2009, 16:51
I don't know exactly how they calculate the speeds of MotoGP bikes (I am guessing GPS or computer calculates revs+gear+gearing)
No the speed trap speeds are on a track sensor (two beams a set distance apart that time how far the bike takes to go that distance, only like 20-30mm i believe). So the actual figure is usually a few kph different. They try put it as close to the brake point as possible but can't get it right where the rider hits them. They are a good comparison so long as you know everyone is still flat out.

gatch
17th August 2009, 18:27
Badass !

300+ on a naked would require maximum cojones me thinks..

Congratulations Dean

BIG DOUG
19th August 2009, 18:17
we were there awesome place,if in your lifetime you can get to bonniville,do it is an amazing place and staying at the bend is fun as americans can't drink lol

koba
19th August 2009, 21:44
Seems strange to me that they have to do all those mods to the bike and go all the way over there to do the same speed as John Hepburn did (191.08mph) on a basically standard bike on some back road in the south island??? But good on em! If thats what i enjoyed id do the same...

He's been faster than that.

204.11 MPH

Just not in an official record run and all that.

Guess he had his eyes on bigger things.

Dean never cracked 300kph at the cliffhanger sprints, so good on him for getting the record now.

Yeah he did! You are thinking of the wrong guy.

Dean Veale did the fastest I've ever seen by a long way, I just about shat my pants when he went past metres away at 328.49 KPH!
Strangely it seems twice as fast as 300.

http://www.cliffhanger.org.nz/results/SprintResultsSep2008.html

Bike no.27

ital916
20th August 2009, 16:54
Seeing as my point is being ignored, that was a NAKED 'busa. No fairing. Towing a giant wall of drag.

A 'busa with a fairing and that bike's horsepower would have gone significantly faster.

well I didnt now it was a naked busa did I :laugh:. It is not like when someone says "busa" you think naked.

mugins
20th August 2009, 20:00
This is an honest question, because I'm obviously missing something somewhere, but the stock, original GSXR1300 was clocked at more than 195mph. I remember various mags airstrip testing it to see if it really could reach the 200mph claimed in the sales bumph. Not quite, but close, was the answer.

[QUOTE=CHOPPA;1129352360]Seems strange to me that they have to do all those mods to the bike and go all the way over there to do the same speed as John Hepburn did (191.08mph) on a basically standard bike on some back road in the south island??? But good on em! If thats what i enjoyed id do the same...

Think you missed the point if it was easy every one could do it.Thats why it's a record.Reguardless of the hp you still need traction which is the biggest problem on the salt.Link to pictures on Dean's and Alan's bikes.http://www.dragbikenz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=231 Well Dean.Also Alan pushed up his pb top speed 198 l think

Picturesports
23rd August 2009, 21:00
To break the record you have to do a number of things ...

1 - Go faster than the record currently stands
2 - You then go to impound where you can perform maintenance on the bike for a maximum of 4 hours
3 - Break the record again with a second run the following day (no two runs on the same day)
4 - The speed of a run is taken as the average of your speed at the 2 mile and 3 mile markers (go past the 2 mile at 195 and the 3 mile at 197 = 196 mph. The speed between the markers doesn't count
5 - There are 3 courses Long, Short and Special - your second run has to be on the long or short courses both of which get cut up due to the mixture of traffic (Bikes Lakesters, Roadsters etc)
6 - Traction is as important as power. Both Alan and Dean were doing those speeds with the rear wheel spinning. Alan for example was recording 196+ average speeds with the speedo showing well over 220

These are the Bonneville National rules - FIA records have different requirements

Cheers Dave

PS The bit about the Bunnings Umbrella is true !

Deano
23rd August 2009, 21:06
He's been faster than that.

204.11 MPH

Just not in an official record run and all that.

Guess he had his eyes on bigger things.

Yeah he did! You are thinking of the wrong guy.

Dean Veale did the fastest I've ever seen by a long way, I just about shat my pants when he went past metres away at 328.49 KPH!
Strangely it seems twice as fast as 300.

http://www.cliffhanger.org.nz/results/SprintResultsSep2008.html

Bike no.27

Whoops my bad - I wasn't there that time. 328kph is HUGE

imdying
24th August 2009, 09:14
4 - The speed of a run is taken as the average of your speed at the 2 mile and 3 mile markers (go past the 2 mile at 195 and the 3 mile at 197 = 196 mph.Shit that's a long time to keep it maxed out :o

scott411
28th August 2009, 07:15
the speed record is for a average speed over a measured distance, not a one off top speed,

and running on bonnieville is pretty difficult, the surface is pretty tricky and changing,

Dean V
30th August 2009, 17:03
Thanks for the kind words guys.
We have just got back today as we spent an extra couple of weeks holidaying over there.
Everything went well over there and I am very pleased to of got the record for the class I was running.
The reasons the speeds may seem slow to some of you are mainly because of;
- Altitude. Bonneville is at over 4000' above sea level. This combined with heat means we were running at a corrected altitude from 5 to 7000 feet. This loses a least 10% hp.
- A naked bike is easily 10mph slower due to lack of aero efficiency.
- The traction or lack of is also a bit of an issue.
As has been pointed out the Moto GP bikes are well over 200mph and I am sure that if they were set up to run at Bonneville they would still go over 200, but they do have a somewhat larger budget than we do.
As for the average Busa running close to 200, they just don't. Look at results from cliffhanger.
At Bonneville due to the above conditions they are even slower.

Also, I don't know if it has been posted here but big congrats to Richard Assen who is a NZer living in Oz + his mainly NZ A Ward team. They did 261mph there on a turbo Busa. The fastest ever speed for a sit on bike at Bonneville and the fastest ever NZer there as well.

quickbuck
30th August 2009, 20:52
Shit that's a long time to keep it maxed out :o

Ummm less than 20 seconds between the markers.....

Makes you realise how fast 200mph actually is doesn't it?

quickbuck
30th August 2009, 20:55
That bit about the umbrella at the end is pretty classic!

Kiwi cunning eh?
That is up there with some of Bert Munros antics...

Lurch
31st August 2009, 21:04
Thanks for the kind words guys.
We have just got back today as we spent an extra couple of weeks holidaying over there.
Everything went well over there and I am very pleased to of got the record for the class I was running.
The reasons the speeds may seem slow to some of you are mainly because of;
- Altitude. Bonneville is at over 4000' above sea level. This combined with heat means we were running at a corrected altitude from 5 to 7000 feet. This loses a least 10% hp.
- A naked bike is easily 10mph slower due to lack of aero efficiency.
- The traction or lack of is also a bit of an issue.
As has been pointed out the Moto GP bikes are well over 200mph and I am sure that if they were set up to run at Bonneville they would still go over 200, but they do have a somewhat larger budget than we do.
As for the average Busa running close to 200, they just don't. Look at results from cliffhanger.
At Bonneville due to the above conditions they are even slower.

Also, I don't know if it has been posted here but big congrats to Richard Assen who is a NZer living in Oz + his mainly NZ A Ward team. They did 261mph there on a turbo Busa. The fastest ever speed for a sit on bike at Bonneville and the fastest ever NZer there as well.

Good shit Dean, welcome back. It must of been a hell of a trip.