PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 400 won't idle after warmed up

CookMySock
16th August 2009, 21:15
I'm looking at a Suzuki bandit 400 with about 30,000kms on it.

It starts and idles fine from cold, but once its warmed up it gets cranky and stalls - won't idle etc. It's only done about 1000km in the last 6 months.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Steve

CookMySock
17th August 2009, 10:19
Something simple as old fuel and spark plugs?

Steve

slimjim
17th August 2009, 11:21
coil breaking down ? or sucking in air as things warm up an expand with heat ?

FROSTY
17th August 2009, 11:43
is it as simple as the idle set too low?

CookMySock
17th August 2009, 12:28
coil breaking down ? or sucking in air as things warm up an expand with heat ?Ok will check.

is it as simple as the idle set too low?Will check.

The bike has barely had a tank of gas through it in 6 months, so it might just be old gas and dirty plugs yet.

Steve

NinjaNanna
17th August 2009, 14:11
Choke mech sticking???

CookMySock
18th August 2009, 21:48
Ok my mate had a look at it, and its running REAL rich. It starts and idles fine, but any attempt to rev it and spouts grey fuel-rich exhaust smoke everywhere and it wont rev out. It's obviously got some fueling issue, or leaky fuel pump diaphragm or something.

Any further comments anyone?

Steve

Pussy
18th August 2009, 21:51
Air filter, float levels etc. Give the carbs a good clean out/set up/synchronising

FROSTY
19th August 2009, 09:32
give the carbs a bash. Ok Ill rphrase that. Get some BP 98 in the tank.
Tap the side of the two outside carbs. sticky floats could be your problem.

Dealer
19th August 2009, 09:47
Doesn't normally apply to bikes, as most people normally fill every time and often, but since it was sitting for 6 months could be applicable.
Have been told by a mechanic that fuel tanks should be kept topped up over winter, as cold weather can cause condensation on the inside of a tank, and lead to fuel blockages in the carbs.
Borrowed my mates car for a couple of weeks and was unlucky enough to have that happen. It was as simple as a jet blocked by water.
Idled fine, but as soon as you went to accelerate... splutter.
And this was warm sunny auckland too!

CookMySock
19th August 2009, 21:29
I went and had a look at it. The carbs have been stripped and cleaned, and its no better. The bike is scrappy and scruffy and I don't want it. 10 hours drive to go see a bike I dont want, ugh. Not amused.

Steve