PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki to move production to Thailand?

Bob
25th August 2009, 00:10
According to Japanese newspaper Yomiuri, Kawasaki is set to move production of medium sized and large motorcycles to Thailand from 2010, citing cheaper labour costs.

The report also alleges Honda is considering switching production of medium sized bikes to Thailand. The report did not state where this information was sourced.

Badjelly
25th August 2009, 10:28
According to Japanese newspaper Yomiuri, Kawasaki is set to move production of medium sized and large motorcycles to Thailand from 2010, citing cheaper labour costs.

The report also alleges Honda is considering switching production of medium sized bikes to Thailand. The report did not state where this information was sourced.

Where do they make them now?

Bob
28th August 2009, 00:19
Where do they make them now?

Japan. Hence it being a big deal. Up to now, you'll see most of the major manufacturers push the smaller capacity stuff out to other countries. But moving production of medium sized and large capacity (which assume covers the sports part of the range - so the flagship bikes), is a real shock.

YellowDog
28th August 2009, 06:00
I think that Triumph have been using Thailand for a few years now.

JimO
28th August 2009, 06:47
the latest shape hilux is made in Thailand

Kflasher
28th August 2009, 07:01

Bugger :weep: this could be a very sad time the industry; we have all seen the best company’s come off second best when ‘out sourcing’ tries to reduce costs even further... very sad indeed.
I for one will be hanging onto my current bike until proven otherwise.. my 2 cents.

scott411
28th August 2009, 07:10
Kawasaki already assemble bikes in thailand now, in a factory they own, ija 250's and 650's as well as KLR650's and other models come out of thailand,

Dodgyiti
28th August 2009, 07:12
I don't really see a problem with where they are made. All large companies have standards in manufacturing and QC. There are some benefits as well, such as newer equipment and processes introduced in the new venue.

Of course wait 1 year until they have the staff fully trained and the equipment dialed in :lol:

So what do you call them now then?
Can't really be called Jappas any more.

Bonez
9th September 2009, 16:05
Japan. Also Brazil, Spain and a few other places.

Bob
10th September 2009, 00:09
Also Brazil, Spain and a few other places.
As I said before, I think these countries have had the smaller capacity stuff punted their way (Brazil, I know, built the CG125 for some years, hence the "BR" designation. As CGs were pretty bulletproof, it was worth sourcing an older, pre-BR designation one as the build quality was superior), but moving more of the "core product" to outsource is big news.

I've not seen anything concrete regarding models, but if they are moving the sportsbike stuff to Thailand, then that is a big deal indeed.

Bonez
10th September 2009, 16:28
To some maybe. It's just a sign of the times. Brazils been producing Honda m/cs since the mid 70s.

NSR-Dan
13th September 2009, 15:23
Honda Accord V6 and City is built in Thailand.
And so is most of the Honda car range for the Australian Market.

Kawasaki Ninja 250R's are made there too.

Im not suprised with the Japan Yen at what it is and the fact Japan make most of there money through export.

motorbyclist
13th September 2009, 21:34
I don't really see a problem with where they are made. All large companies have standards in manufacturing and QC. There are some benefits as well, such as newer equipment and processes introduced in the new venue.

doesn't mean the product will still meet those standards

The GN250 has been a total failure since production moved to china.... chrome arrives in NZ with factory rust!

(then again those might just be the suzuki standards :laugh:)

awa355
21st September 2009, 20:35
There would be very few manufactures who dont out source either part or all of their models. A lot of Harley riders out there would drop their bottam lip if they had any idea where some of their 'american iron' parts are sourced. Likewise parts of the 'new' Triumphs were soursed from Yamaha.

My Honda comes from Brazil and it goes like I would expect a new Honda to be. Afterall, the Goldwing was originally designed and built in the states.