PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke rebuild questions...

dogsnbikes
27th August 2009, 13:19
The final parts of the PE motor have arrived,so I cant start the rebuild :clap:

Any hints from our panel of experts?? do's and don'ts

Its fair to say the motor is having a major overhaul...with new
piston,rings,bearings,oilseals,clutch parts,transmission parts,crank work,reeds and polished ports

I have access to a manual which is helpful but doesn't answer all the questions and the oven for heating crank cases for the purpose of replacing the bearings and seals

Should I soak the bearings in oil so that they are coated rather than relying on the stock lubricant they already have?

whats the recommended running in period ? is there one? as with so many new parts etc they will need time to bead in wont they ??

thanks

eelracing
28th August 2009, 21:30
Dont worry to much about extra oiling the bearings but do put them in the freezer to chill them down which will slightly reduce the overall diameter.

This and the oven heated crankcase should allow you to hand press fit them until seated fully.Don't be tempted to hammer it home if the bearing won't seat but repeat the freezing of the bearing and heating the case and try again.

If still no luck take it into Danny at Whitelock Suzuki,he's a two stroke maestro and races a PE to boot.

As for running it in with the amount of new parts you are installing it would be prudent to treat it like brand new.
Get her nice and warm before setting off then using no more than one-third throttle keep varying your speed without loading/lugging in to high a gear and also avoiding hard acceleration.Varying your speed/revs is the key here.
After 20 minutes or so you can start giving it more throttle,but keep it to short bursts until you've logged up to about an hour.After this (and you'll be sure getting sick of this 4 stroking bollox)give her the berries.

DISCLAIMER:I can accept no responsibility if it turns pear shaped and i can only refer you once again to Danny for the good oil on all things two stroke.:dodge:

Oh yeah once your up and running come VMX racing this year,1st round is 04/10/09 in Waipukarau.Hope to see ya there.

dogsnbikes
28th August 2009, 21:47
Thanks eel will keep danny in mind and will cheak out the VMX schedule

malcy25
31st August 2009, 15:30
The final parts of the PE motor have arrived,so I cant start the rebuild :clap:

Any hints from our panel of experts?? do's and don'ts

Its fair to say the motor is having a major overhaul...with new
piston,rings,bearings,oilseals,clutch parts,transmission parts,crank work,reeds and polished ports

I have access to a manual which is helpful but doesn't answer all the questions and the oven for heating crank cases for the purpose of replacing the bearings and seals

Should I soak the bearings in oil so that they are coated rather than relying on the stock lubricant they already have?

whats the recommended running in period ? is there one? as with so many new parts etc they will need time to bead in wont they ??

thanks

Make sure all the piston and ring clearances are right, plus also the piston has enough clearance against the head (if your head is a squish type head)

I use a little squeeze bottle with 2 stroke oil in it and give a little squeeze down the oil holes into the main and big end bearings as I assemble, and lightly smear on the front and back of the piston as it is going together so you get some initaial lube when it starts.

if air cooled, it may have a retorque on the head after running?

dogsnbikes
31st August 2009, 17:38
cheers for that,

yeah its a Air cooled....also been told to take a bit out of the exhaust port bridge helps reduce pressure on the piston and rings when expelling exhaust gasses