PDA

View Full Version : Removing a fuel tank for the first time

Logpot
31st August 2009, 16:18
I've got a 91 Honda CB250F and I'm going to attempt to take the tank off for the first time.

From what I can see it is bolted to the frame and only has the fuel tap connected to it.

Would I just turn the tap to OFF, un-clip the hose that is connected to the tap, unbolt tank from frame and remove?

I've read that it's better to move the tap to RES rather than OFF.

Any helpful comments will be most appreciated.

hayd3n
31st August 2009, 16:25
I've got a 91 Honda CB250F and I'm going to attempt to take the tank off for the first time.

From what I can see it is bolted to the frame and only has the fuel tap connected to it.

Would I just turn the tap to OFF, un-clip the hose that is connected to the tap, unbolt tank from frame and remove?

I've read that it's better to move the tap to RES rather than OFF.

Any helpful comments will be most appreciated.

yes off is the best option

one fast tl1ooo
31st August 2009, 16:51
What could go wrong,

quickbuck
31st August 2009, 20:41
OFF.
Turn it to RES and almost all the fuel will flow out unless you change the position.

Yes, only one bolt to the frame usually, and there are most likely some rubber bits around the place that help it to not contact the frame.
Be careful to work out where these go.

Gently place your tank on the ground.. or other place that is stable.
DO NOT let the petrol touch the paint... Especially if it is Methanol Blended stuff! Makes good paint stripper that stuff.

Finally, don't loose any of the hose clips you will need these.... And you may well break or split some hoses, as the petrol takes all the elasticity out of them and they become brittle.