PDA

View Full Version : Ayr bikers raise £37,000 for Cancer relief charity

Bob
5th September 2009, 00:17
Just posting this here, as a great example of the inspiration work that can be done with a spot of determination:

"A group of Ayrshire bikers has raised £37,255 (approx NZD 89,000) for the MacMillan Cancer Relief charity… by donning pink bras!

The group of 90 bikers donned pink bras and vests to undertake a 450 mile sponsored ride of Scotland, dubbed the ‘Breast Way Round’.

Organiser Shirley-Ann Barnes, 46, organised the event as a tribute to a friend who died of breast cancer. She said “It is an amazing amount of money to have raised. A huge thank-you to all who made this possible.”

The group will be holding another fund-raiser on October 31st, in the form of a fanct dress party. Tickets are available for £3.50.

Shirley-Ann is not stopping here. She is also organising a self-help group for sufferers of fibromyalgia - a chronic condition of widespread pain and profound fatigue. Shirley-Ann is a sufferer and said of the condition “I have now accepted that I have the condition, but some days are impossible and I can hardly get out of bed due to the pain and fatigue. I have learned coping strategies that mean I can manage the condition rather than it managing me. Maintaining an optimistic attitude is very important.”

For details of the next fund raiser, or to get involved with either of the above, please contact Shirley-Ann on 01563 523126 or email otterburn05@aol.com"

That the organiser of both events suffers from a chronic condition yet still finds the energy to be the driving force behind these good works is inspirational. Well done to her.