PDA

View Full Version : Total loss ignition?

kiwi cowboy
11th September 2009, 18:21
*6 gsxr400'
Has any one converted one to total loss for raceing?
Is it just a case of removing the generator and stater under the right engine cover or do i need to do other things and how long will a fully charged batery last on the track? cheers

mossy1200
11th September 2009, 18:28
86 gsxr400'
Has any one converted one to total loss for raceing?
Is it just a case of removing the generator and stater under the right engine cover or do i need to do other things and how long will a fully charged batery last on the track? cheers
You gsxr will not have petrol pump so battery will last most likely half hr +.You need to ensure you have good battery with resonable crank amps.
Are you removing starter also?If you dont i would suggest jumper ports for charging leads external and a second battery with lead clips to connect while you start it or push start and only use starter if you have shut it down for delay on start grid.Put your fan on a manual switch also .
Remove the widings etc but the rotor is also the flywheel so leave that on or have it turned on lathe and rebalanced lighter for quicker revs.

kiwi cowboy
11th September 2009, 18:36
You gsxr will not have petrol pump so battery will last most likely half hr +.You need to ensure you have good battery with resonable crank amps.
Are you removing starter also?If you dont i would suggest jumper ports for charging leads external and a second battery with lead clips to connect while you start it or push start and only use starter if you have shut it down for delay on start grid.Put your fan on a manual switch also .
Remove the widings etc but the rotor is also the flywheel so leave that on or have it turned on lathe and rebalanced lighter for quicker revs.

Cheers mossy.
No i leaving the starter in fir the meantime and yes would put wires out for jump starts and have already got the fan on a switch.
Do you leave the rotor on or whot would happen if it was left off as thats whot i thought was the done thing to make it rev quicker.

mossy1200
11th September 2009, 18:45
Cheers mossy.
No i leaving the starter in fir the meantime and yes would put wires out for jump starts and have already got the fan on a switch.
Do you leave the rotor on or whot would happen if it was left off as thats whot i thought was the done thing to make it rev quicker.
your rotor is flywheel so the best bet would be a second hand rotor thats got fudged magnets that you can turn down and lighten on lathe to half weight.Keep your good rotor intact as they are hard to get in going order.
I think it will be impossible to keep bike going without rotor at all.

mossy1200
11th September 2009, 18:48
assume you have seen this.... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-240750463.htm

This trader Simon will prob have rotor if you let him know stuffed is ok.Let Say Steve(ssmossy) said give him a try for better price.gsx400x impulse should be match also.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=163308

DELLORTO
11th September 2009, 22:45
im running my fxr150 on total loss.......works good on my bike but it could become a hassels on a bigger bike considering how much battery life a bike that size would suck.......

sharky
11th September 2009, 22:56
im running my fxr150 on total loss.......works good on my bike but it could become a hassels on a bigger bike considering how much battery life a bike that size would suck.......

My ZXR400 has a fuel pump and would probably last the whole days racing (i do put it on charge during the day to be safe though) and my battery is pretty small. 1-1.5hrs

kiwi cowboy
11th September 2009, 23:04
My ZXR400 has a fuel pump and would probably last the whole days racing (i do put it on charge during the day to be safe though) and my battery is pretty small. 1-1.5hrs

sharky are you running a rotor/flywheel still or removed it?

Hoon
12th September 2009, 00:55
I'd easily get a days worth of track day/racing on my ZXR400, even two days when I forgot to charge my battery (still using starter as normal). Always took my charger and spare battery to the track but never needed it. I was using the larger YTX12 battery though.

The bike would start to miss at high RPM if the battery went off.

sharky
12th September 2009, 09:42
sharky are you running a rotor/flywheel still or removed it?

Flywheel is still there, as is starter. I only use the starter for first start of the day then push start for the rest of the day once she's warm. I hook up my jump pack when I use the starter to save the battery also. And yes, if battery does get low first sign is misssing.

kiwi cowboy
12th September 2009, 22:46
your rotor is flywheel so the best bet would be a second hand rotor thats got fudged magnets that you can turn down and lighten on lathe to half weight.Keep your good rotor intact as they are hard to get in going order.
I think it will be impossible to keep bike going without rotor at all.

Well i decided to play in the shed like boys do and took the rotor off my spare motor to try it:innocent:jesus those things are on tight but got it off and put the side cover back on.
Started ok but this motor alwas has been a bit hard to start and apart from needing to idle a bit faster to keep even it runs good and certainly revs quicker in the shed anyway.
Will get out for a strop down the drive tomorrow see how it goes on a test ride:Punk: