PDA

View Full Version : Stuff.co.nz: Extreme speeds shock police

Bend-it
16th September 2009, 11:43
Extreme speeds shock police
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2868372/Extreme-speeds-shock-police

Police are shocked by the "phenomenal" levels of speed on Canterbury roads.

Two teenage drivers had their licences suspended on the spot last week after being caught at speeds of 152kmh and 153kmh on Christchurch's northern motorway.

One driver, aged 17, had friends in the car. Both teenagers will face charges of driving at a dangerous speed.

Police had recently prosecuted motorcyclists between Tai Tapu and Akaroa for travelling at speeds of 180kmh, 190kmh and 212kmh, said the Christchurch road policing manager, Inspector Al Stewart.

Over a recent seven-day period, 152 drivers were caught for exceeding the 100kmh speed limit on the northern motorway.

"Far too many Canterbury drivers still do not appreciate the consequences of speeding or not driving to the conditions," Stewart said. "For example, increasing your speed from 100kmh to 120kmh doubles your risk of a fatal crash.

"The speeds we're detecting in Canterbury are just phenomenal."

In the year to June there were 45,565 speeding notices issued in Canterbury, with 10,945 issued to the 15 to 24 age group. Male drivers aged 15 to 24 received 19.5 per cent of the total number of notices issued in Canterbury over the same period. Last year, speed was a factor in 34 per cent of fatal crashes nationally and 20 per cent of serious-injury crashes.

"That equates to 127 people dying, 560 being seriously injured and 2049 receiving minor injuries, with a social cost of $867 million," Stewart said.

Fifty-nine people aged under 20 have died on roads this year

Bend-it
16th September 2009, 11:43
So... who was it... own up now... :)

Cantabrians eh? tsk tsk tsk... :dodge:

SVboy
16th September 2009, 11:52
There but for the grace of god, go I!!!!

breakaway
16th September 2009, 12:16
These guys are right. I exceeded the speed limit once, and died. Twice.

steve_t
16th September 2009, 12:21
212 km/h, how did they catch them??

Morcs
16th September 2009, 12:22
150k is hardly extreme speed... lol

id clock more than that at 5pm on an auckland motorway... lol

scumdog
16th September 2009, 12:30
You CAN notice a general speed increase as you enter Canterbury - more so as you near Christchurch.:yes:

SVboy
16th September 2009, 12:34
I wish YOU were one of the Akkers/Tai Tapu officers Scummy. At least then we could talk bikes as you wrote out those tickets/asked for the keys etc!!

JimO
16th September 2009, 12:38
You CAN notice a general speed increase as you enter Canterbury - more so as you near Christchurch.:yes:

that will be because of the long boring straights

Cosmo
16th September 2009, 12:41

I would have thought you would notice an increase of speed as you head out of Christchurch/Canterbury. Everyone wanting to get out of there.:lol:

SVboy
16th September 2009, 12:47
LOL! Attempted put downs from people who try to exist in Dunny and Incestacargill! Like those comments carry the impact of a butterflys fart!!

vifferman
16th September 2009, 12:48
As #2Son would say, "waah".

This is the same place that has very long, straight, flat, wide, roads, with mostly very little traffic, and has speed cameras and police with lasers, in case someone goes over 100km/h?

It's really about time there was a wider range of speed limits. Some highways are dangerous at 90 (unless you're a decent driver, with decent skills, who pays attention, and thinks). Others like the motorways outside of peak traffic time, and the Canterbury Plains, have woefully pathetic speed limits. The motorways should really be like the freeways outside Seedneee, where the speed signs are electronic, and vary according to conditions.

Subike
16th September 2009, 12:55
Speeding in Cant is rampent.
I travel SH1 daily from Gretta Valley to Amberley for work in my desiel cage.
sure just 30k each way so what?
I sit on 105kph, at 106 my ding ding ding in my truck gets agitated and annoys me.
I get passed by 99% of other road users, the 1 % that dont pass me are cyclists.
It is no wonder that there are two traffic cars constantly on this strip of road, constantly handing out tickets.
The crazy part for me is that the speed gets you nowhere faster, as heading north you encounter hills, and slow big riggs, heading south you get traffic density and slow traffic flows.
At 100kph in my cage I get there in the same time as the speedsters, with less fuel usage.
Now if I was on my bike, well.......no ticket in 5 years, so either I am a nana rider or just have not been caught yet. You decide that.

SVboy
16th September 2009, 13:02
The article refers in part to the Tai tapu-Akaroa road, which is a wonderful and varied road, with a variety of corners, straights, hills and surfaces. The speed limit is probably quite justified, unfortunately the temptation to go "just a little" over the limit is strong. Agree with you though Vman about higher limits on the straights. Dont know if the majority of sheaple could cope with such a radical concept!

Big Dave
16th September 2009, 13:53
Many sports motorcycles currently do more that 153kph in first gear.

Laxi
16th September 2009, 14:08

in my hoon days I managed to get the work ute and trailer to do 180ks, wouldn't even dream of it now! because its dangerous? hell no! cause there weren't half as many money makers on the road then

onearmedbandit
16th September 2009, 15:11
Had first hand experience of this yesterday actually. Got pulled exceeding 100. Won't say what speed I got caught doing but an immediate pull over combined with a good attitude mean't I only got a small talking to. Was allowed to carry on my way, licence intact and no damage to my wallet. Thank you canterbury police.

breakaway
16th September 2009, 15:24
212 km/h, how did they catch them??

212 km/h is still slower than the speed at which radio waves travel.

Matt Bleck
16th September 2009, 15:28
they obiviousley ain't been on the coroGP :laugh:

SMOKEU
16th September 2009, 15:54
The Christchurch northern motorway is real mint for speeding, just sit at a constant 180kmh and relax.

Cosmo
16th September 2009, 15:55
LOL! Attempted put downs from people who try to exist in Dunny and Incestacargill! Like those comments carry the impact of a butterflys fart!!

My apoligies for going of topic and my apoligies that my attempt at a bit of light hearted humour failed. I did not relise it would be taken quite so seriously and looked as a putdown. Of course I do like Christchurch/Canterbury and try to get up that way at least once a year.

I too must admit to having exceeded the speed limit on some of the rather long straights up that way.

steve_t
16th September 2009, 16:11
My apoligies for going of topic and my apoligies that my attempt at a bit of light hearted humour failed. I did not relise it would be taken quite so seriously and looked as a putdown. Of course I do like Christchurch/Canterbury and try to get up that way at least once a year.

I too must admit to having exceeded the speed limit on some of the rather long straights up that way.

:girlfight: mate, don't sweat it. I don't think anyone took it seriously, and the comeback was also likely meant in good humour. :banana: You'll get used to it once you've been here a bit longer :2thumbsup

slofox
16th September 2009, 16:16
that will be because of the long boring straights

+1 on that. I lived down there years ago...it was always hard not to fall asleep :zzzz: riding those straights. You gotta go 200km/hr to keep yourself interested and awake...:whistle:

As for 150? pah. snail's pace...

gijoe1313
16th September 2009, 16:31
Years ago as a cager, I drove the Canterbury plains on my first SI sojourns ... I left part of my soul behind ... and I shudder whenever people mention that way! :wacko:

SPman
16th September 2009, 17:45
The Tai Tapu - Akaroa road would be big bore sport bike heaven, wouldn't it - narrow but reasonably sinuous, with straights long enough to stretch your legs, then the hills from Little River to Akaroa ...........even with the traffic.......

Chrislost
16th September 2009, 18:07

Police are shocked by the "phenomenal" levels of speed on Canterbury roads.

Two teenage drivers had their licences suspended on the spot last week after being caught at speeds of 152kmh and 153kmh on Christchurch's northern motorway.

One driver, aged 17, had friends in the car. Both teenagers will face charges of driving at a dangerous speed.

Police had recently prosecuted motorcyclists between Tai Tapu and Akaroa for travelling at speeds of 180kmh, 190kmh and 212kmh, said the Christchurch road policing manager, Inspector Al Stewart.

Over a recent seven-day period, 152 drivers were caught for exceeding the 100kmh speed limit on the northern motorway.

"Far too many Canterbury drivers still do not appreciate the consequences of speeding or not driving to the conditions," Stewart said. "For example, increasing your speed from 100kmh to 120kmh doubles your risk of a fatal crash.

"The speeds we're detecting in Canterbury are just phenomenal."

In the year to June there were 45,565 speeding notices issued in Canterbury, with 10,945 issued to the 15 to 24 age group. Male drivers aged 15 to 24 received 19.5 per cent of the total number of notices issued in Canterbury over the same period. Last year, speed was a factor in 34 per cent of fatal crashes nationally and 20 per cent of serious-injury crashes.

"That equates to 127 people dying, 560 being seriously injured and 2049 receiving minor injuries, with a social cost of $867 million," Stewart said.

Fifty-nine people aged under 20 have died on roads this year

153? i can go faster then that in FIRST GEAR!

what they need to do is put cheese cutters on the centerline, then everyone will be stuck behind that pesky campervan and nobody will speed...

The Stranger
16th September 2009, 19:00
I wish YOU were one of the Akkers/Tai Tapu officers Scummy. At least then we could talk bikes as you wrote out those tickets/asked for the keys etc!!

Bikes?
What's he know about bikes?
He rides a fooken farm implement for god's sake.

BMWST?
16th September 2009, 19:06

some bikes would do that in second.....

BBzz
16th September 2009, 19:15
Got pulled exceeding 100. Won't say what speed I got caught doing but an immediate pull over combined with a good attitude mean't I only got a small talking to. Was allowed to carry on my way, licence intact and no damage to my wallet. Thank you canterbury police.

Dude Tell us all the secret. What's this "good attitude stuff"? dose that mean you dorp $50 bucks on the ground or something?

I don't think I have a bad attitude BUT I have never been let off a speeding ticket in canterbury.

davebullet
16th September 2009, 19:23
I've had my stock SV650 upto 380kph

Hahn
16th September 2009, 20:05
Ha! .

onearmedbandit
16th September 2009, 21:08
Dude Tell us all the secret. What's this "good attitude stuff"? dose that mean you dorp $50 bucks on the ground or something?

I don't think I have a bad attitude BUT I have never been let off a speeding ticket in canterbury.

Ha don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a good attitude will get you off a ticket, but a bad one will certainly make it harder avoiding one.

riffer
16th September 2009, 21:19
I've had my stock SV650 upto 380kph

Those Suzuki speedos are notoriously optimistic... :oi-grr:

R6_kid
16th September 2009, 21:49
"For example, increasing your speed from 100kmh to 120kmh doubles your risk of a fatal crash."

I don't think that is correct. Perhaps increasing your speed from 100kmh to 120kmh increases the risk of any crash that you may have being fatal.

MattRSK
16th September 2009, 21:52

Yeah I agree! I moved here in January and people drive way faster everywhere even the buses go fast.

McJim
16th September 2009, 21:58
I smell bullshit.

I been to Christchurch. I thank Christ I don't have to go back. Looks like a little homage to England. Even got the essex boys and slags to go with it :2thumbsup: As for Invrcargill - we get all the descerning immigrants down here. Not the leftover refugees that Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland get. :rofl:

Ixion
16th September 2009, 23:21
Easily shocked, our plod, it seems. I suppose they liuve pretty sheltered lives, don't get out much

Last year, speed was a factor in 34 per cent of fatal crashes nationally and 20 per cent of serious-injury crashes.

So, I wonder what caused the OTHER 80% of serious injury crashes , and why the police don't give a stuff about the 80% ?

NDORFN
16th September 2009, 23:49

So that's roughly $300,000 per accident. They all drive Ferraris down there do they?

Gremlin
17th September 2009, 01:50
So that's roughly $300,000 per accident. They all drive Ferraris down there do they?
Your math is missing a lot of figures, such as lost productivity, impact on family etc.

I've ridden those roads south of Christchurch... I think I died a little. :oi-grr:

I demand forthwith all those straights are removed, and replaced with twisty roads, which make 100kph a dream. Speeding will be reduced, and I'll be happy.

Let me know when you're done. Cheers :2thumbsup

SPman
17th September 2009, 01:57
After 5 years living in Motukarara, I think Canterbury roads are very over.....somethinged!

ajturbo
17th September 2009, 06:24
In the year to June there were 45,565 speeding notices issued in Canterbury,

ok own up ... who are the 10 other people NOT ticketed??

there are only 45,575 people in the south island?????

Clockwork
17th September 2009, 07:26
It's really about time there was a wider range of speed limits. Some highways are dangerous at 90 (unless you're a decent driver, with decent skills, who pays attention, and thinks). Others like the motorways outside of peak traffic time, and the Canterbury Plains, have woefully pathetic speed limits. The motorways should really be like the freeways outside Seedneee, where the speed signs are electronic, and vary according to conditions.

Sorry, I can't remember more details but as I recall (within the past 5 years) a quango set up by the previous Government to examine the possibillity of increasing some open road speed limits spent a year investigating and then reported back theat it could not find any roads in NZ that it considered were suitable for speeds greater than 100kph.

Bend-it
17th September 2009, 10:00
by the previous Government... could not find any roads in NZ that it considered were suitable for speeds greater than 100kph.

Unless you're the PM and in a hurry to get to a rugby game! Muahahaha!! :girlfight:

NDORFN
17th September 2009, 10:12
Your math is missing a lot of figures, such as lost productivity, impact on family etc.

Lost productivity? They're all Ferrari driving lawyers down there are they? How does impact on family cost the economy in the case of the 2049 accident with only minor injuries? I understand that there'd be a cost for the families of the 560 seriously injured so I'm wondering what kind of flowers they're selling down there? Gold plated? Come on dude... 127 deaths + 560 serious injuries + 2049 minor injuries = 2736 accidents. $867 million for 2736 accidents?!? Maybe if it was $86.7 million averaging $30,000/accident I could accept it. But claiming almost a billion dollars social cost at over $300,000/accident is utter bullshit.

scumdog
17th September 2009, 11:16
Lost productivity? They're all Ferrari driving lawyers down there are they? How does impact on family cost the economy in the case of the 2049 accident with only minor injuries? I understand that there'd be a cost for the families of the 560 seriously injured so I'm wondering what kind of flowers they're selling down there? Gold plated? Come on dude... 127 deaths + 560 serious injuries + 2049 minor injuries = 2736 accidents. $867 million for 2736 accidents?!? Maybe if it was $86.7 million averaging $30,000/accident I could accept it. But claiming almost a billion dollars social cost at over $300,000/accident is utter bullshit.

Well amongst other things the Govt see you as a cash-cow, die too soon and you'll pay XXXX less tax than they would like to have got from you had you lived another 30 years or whatever...