PDA

View Full Version : Hyobang averted! loose clutch carrier nut sounds like blown big-end!

CookMySock
16th September 2009, 16:45
2005 Hyosung GT650R, 15,000kms

Engine has rattle 1500-2500rpm only when warm. Sounds a lot like stuffed big end or a bent rod. :cry:

But it wasn't... The nut that holds the clutch carrier to the gearbox shaft had come loose. Dump oil and coolant, whip side cover off, pull clutch pressure plate off, and whadaya know the nut is finger tight and the carrier flops around like a loose wheel bearing. Apparently this is a vwtin thing.

Flatten lock washer, remove nut, remove clutch carrier, inspect - all clean except for a little amount of swarf. Wipe up with rag, put back together, torque down properly, reassemble, and its smooth and quiet again - no rattle.

Man am I fucken relieved or what - sounded like a bent rod or something. whew. :whistle:

Many thanks to members at korider. http://korider.com/index.php?topic=13540.0

Brickbats to hyo nz who washed their hands of it, and more power to the backyard boy who bit the bullet and got his hands dirty. :banana:

Steve

98tls
16th September 2009, 17:20
Loctite is good.Retainers,posts,everywhere

YellowDog
16th September 2009, 17:24
I am relieved for you :sweatdrop

It would have driven me insane!

F5 Dave
16th September 2009, 17:48
So what would have happened if the nut came off & the clutch hub took a step to the right?

I pondered these questions maybe 15 years ago when I arrived at my sis's place in Auckers having ridden from Welly on my never-had-the-cover-off 5 yrs old RZ350. Odd symptom was the clutch had stopped disengaging. You'd pull the lever & it was loose. Fun in rush hour traffic.

Pulled cover off. Hmm odd, clutch pack seems loose, take off pressure plate.

Nut fell off. No damage done, phew. Old compressor trick; centrepunch the nut flat to slightly distort (but not damage) the nut thread & aid combating vibration loosening. Obviously with Loctite & clamping washer.

98tls
16th September 2009, 17:58
So what would have happened if the nut came off & the clutch hub took a step to the right?

I pondered these questions maybe 15 years ago when I arrived at my sis's place in Auckers having ridden from Welly on my never-had-the-cover-off 5 yrs old RZ350. Odd symptom was the clutch had stopped disengaging. You'd pull the lever & it was loose. Fun in rush hour traffic.

Pulled cover off. Hmm odd, clutch pack seems loose, take off pressure plate.

Nut fell off. No damage done, phew. Old compressor trick; centrepunch the nut flat to slightly distort (but not damage) the nut thread & aid combating vibration loosening. Obviously with Loctite & clamping washer. Phew is is right,On the Loctite thing the other day i swaped out a 5 bolt basket etc for a 6 bolt on a guys S,when applying it to the spring posts he voiced his theroy on 'its a waste of time',seems theres plenty out there that share his opinion.Fwiw to any reading this thread if you have basket etc out be sure to use the appropriate loctite when putting it alll back together.

CookMySock
16th September 2009, 19:49
@F5 Dave, yeah it woulda done a nice scraper if it had come right off. I don't think it would have though - the nut was well locked with a flattened washer - it wouldn't have moved.

@YD, yeah bro..

@98tls yeah thats a good idea - munt the nut slightly so its a bit tight. I do that with various bolts so they dont work loose. I hadn't thought about dealing to the nut like that.

I don't like loctite. I have more problems, not less, when I loctite stuff on. Also it worries me shitless using it inside an engine when theres no time to cure it fully.

The important thing to note is, nothing was damaged, or even marked. I just checked everything and put it back together again. Tight! It's a big nut, so out came the big socket and tee bar, and I gave it a few sturdy clouts. It won't come loose. :whistle:

Steve

CookMySock
22nd September 2009, 11:23
Ok that silenced it for a hundred km or so, now its ever-so-quietly back.

Any suggestions other than to rattle-gun and loctite it?

Steve

Sketchy_Racer
24th September 2009, 22:13
Loctite it.

Use it as per the instructions. Anyone who swears against loctite products would have used them inappropriately.

Use some high strength retaining compound - Loctite 680 you will need a rattle gun to remove it, but how often do you really need to take a clutch apart?

And don't worry about it not having enough time to go off, it is anaerobic it will go off even with the motor assembled, just don't run it for a couple of hours after applying.

Madness
24th September 2009, 22:28
Use some high strength retaining compound - Loctite 680 you will need a rattle gun to remove it, but how often do you really need to take a clutch apart?

Wouldn't a high strength thread lock be more appropriate?. I thought that retaining compounds were intended for press-fit applications.

This is a question btw. You're the toolmaker here, not me.

Sketchy_Racer
24th September 2009, 23:23
Haha snapped!

Yes you are most likely more than correct, however I have found the retaining compound to also work very well as a thread locker, as essentially once a nut is tightened on a thread, you end up with a long continuous press fit between the nut thread and the bolt thread.

We do units in the apprenticeship about bearing fitting but I have not come across anything detailing thread locking apart from a mention to loctite products.

paddy
24th September 2009, 23:31
The important thing to note is, nothing was damaged, or even marked. I just checked everything and put it back together again. Tight! It's a big nut, so out came the big socket and tee bar, and I gave it a few sturdy clouts. It won't come loose. :whistle:

Steve

Would that be one foot-on-end-of-bar pound. I'm struggling to convert that one. :-)

CookMySock
25th September 2009, 09:16
Ok Thanks fellas.

I have a nice wide strap wrench, can I hold the basket with that? I'm worried about breaking a fin off where the strap folds under.

Or should I just put the gearbox in a high gear and get someone experienced to set their rattle gun at a safe pressure/torque and deal to it?

many TIA
Steve

imdying
1st October 2009, 15:39
Loctite it.

Use it as per the instructions. Anyone who swears against loctite products would have used them inappropriately.

And don't worry about it not having enough time to go off, it is anaerobic it will go off even with the motor assembled, just don't run it for a couple of hours after applying.This is all true DB.

Yeah 680 ain't a thread locker, but it'll well do in this application :whistle:

enigma51
1st October 2009, 15:43
This is going to end in tears if not already