PDA

View Full Version : overheating problem

alexm
18th September 2009, 09:57
Hi name is alex I have a 1985 250 yamaha srx light sports and every morning and and afternoon i ride from whangaperoa to west auckland for my job bike starts no problem and go perfectly untill i get off the motor way which i have been doing 6500rpm the whole time once i get off though it coughs splutters and dies unless i keep the rpms high and i can feel the heat and see steam coming off it some times, I am just wanting to know am i asking to much from an older 250 or is there something I should look at the help this problem

vifferman
18th September 2009, 10:36
If you put some more commas and fullstops in, it will allow the bike a wee bit of time to rest and cool down.

alexm
18th September 2009, 12:03
oh very funny english is not my strong point

Ixion
18th September 2009, 12:07
Steam? Steam? SRX250 is aircooled. And I NEVER got it to overheat.

I doubt that overheating is your problem . Unless something is glowing red hot it won't be overheating.

6500 on the SRX250 is fine, I've cruised all day at that .

Check your carburettor. Yes, it is weird.

alexm
18th September 2009, 13:26
Steam? Steam? SRX250 is aircooled. And I NEVER got it to overheat.

Im sure thats the oil seeping out of places and burning . what do you think i should look at on the carb like blocked jets ? cheers

Ixion
18th September 2009, 13:40
PM me an email address that will accept a 14MB file and I'll send you a copy of the workshop manual

There shouldn't be any oil leaking. The SRX was a good oil tight engine. If there is oil leaking onto cylinder head or headers then you'll get smoke. That'd be normal, not a sign of overheating. Air cooled engines are designed to run hot.

alexm
18th September 2009, 13:58
it wont let me pm you and not sure if hot mail will do files that big but my email is big_john816@hotmail.com it was only the once that there was any smoke only had the bike for about a month and it does seem to to leak oil around the dip stick but apart from this problem it goes perfect

bsasuper
18th September 2009, 18:29
Sounds like its running lean at lower revs, rebuild the carb