PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Kawasaki slipping in 1st gear?

rebelgirl
22nd September 2009, 15:51
Hi all out there in Biker Land. I have a problem and I am hoping someone can shed some light on it for me.
I have just purchased a 1996 1500 Kawasaki Vulcan C2. On acceleration it slips out and then into first gear, you can ride through the slip, its just damn annoying. It has had new gears put in it and a new clutch but it is still happening. Anyone out there having or has had the same problem?
:argh:

Laava
22nd September 2009, 17:00
Something is not right in Vulcan land! So it only does it in 1st gear? And it goes 'slip-clunk!' like it momentarily pops into neutral then changes it's mind and goes back to 1st? Does it do it once only or randomly if you stay in 1st? Has it got worse?

Henk
22nd September 2009, 17:26
Sounds suspiciously like a bent selector fork or worn dogs on the gear. But if the box has been in bit's that should have been checked out.

Laava
22nd September 2009, 17:58
What I was thinking, or teeth missing but as you say, it has been in bits?

Danae
22nd September 2009, 18:07
So it was happening previously before all the clutch/gear work?

rebelgirl
22nd September 2009, 20:19
Hi, it has had new first and second gear and a new clutch. It goes into gear nicely, you accelerate, it goes slip clunk like it has changed its mind. You can ride through that and if you keep it in first gear and give it the fat it does it again and again. All the other gears are fine, its only in first that it happens.
More than anything its just bloody annoying.

steve_t
22nd September 2009, 20:34
+1 for bent fork

Laava
22nd September 2009, 20:45
I bet you $1 to a knob of goat shit that the gears were replaced before as they were damaged/worn but the real cause was never addressed. Bent selector fork, Sorry darlin' but looks like the motor will have to be pulled to fix!
http://www.vulcanforums.com/ Have a look in here and also there should be a downloadable manual if you need one!

rebelgirl
23rd September 2009, 15:15
Gee thanks, I thought that was probably the case :doh:

Henk
23rd September 2009, 17:23
If it turns out to be a bent selector fork and you keep giving it the beans to make it happen you will probably end up trashing 1st gear again.

Pussy
23rd September 2009, 17:41
Wot he said ^