PDA

View Full Version : KDX200 clutch probs

r.2stroke
26th September 2009, 18:25
Hi, i've got a 04 kdx200,well maintained,had from new,problem that ive started noticing more and more is the clutch does not seem to dis-engage properly anymore.Ive got the correct amount of lever free play,right sort of oil in trans(changed frequently)....with motor idling,and clutch lever pulled right in,it makes a good clunk and bike lurches forward slightly when engaging 1st gear.Now ive noticed that when motor is stopped,bikes in 1st gear and clutch lever pulled in hard,you cant push or roll the bike at all....like the clutch not working or something.
Can anyone give a reason or cause for this problem?,if i pull off the clutch cover and have a look,what should i be looking for or check as the cause of this problem?
Cheers.

Henk
27th September 2009, 20:34
You'd probably be looking for notches worn in the clutch basket or a warped steel plate.

retired motoman
27th September 2009, 21:11
You'd probably be looking for notches worn in the clutch basket or a warped steel plate.

yep right on the money there , Im sure you could fit a kx setup to those
that were stronger to . File the baskit a little , your just trying to smouth out
the notchies on the baskit fingers and fit new steels and fibres and she be good again for a while.

Katman
28th September 2009, 08:21
The problem can usually be solved by the filing of the clutch basket fingers alone.

The trick is to only file the fingers down until you can just make out the indentation marks. That way you won't run the risk of filing off too much and having some of the clutch plate tabs not contacting the basket.

r.2stroke
28th September 2009, 17:31
ok,pulling it out tonight to have a look...

stig
28th September 2009, 22:56
I've had this before on a kdx.
Follow the above good advice and it should be sweet.
I also found good auto trans fluid worked very well in the kdx and other 2smokers

F5 Dave
29th September 2009, 12:00
Castrol MTX seems to work well for this, but yes to all the above, been there several times. KX of old vintage had ally plates instead of steel which wore like all beggery. Check plates on a piece of glass or whatnot. The inner hub can wear too & I've dresses those up before with success, but it takes an age.