PDA

View Full Version : Grafton Bridge to open to motorcycles...

BM-GS
2nd October 2009, 07:41
Just seen that motorcycles are allowed to use the Grafton Bridge along with council favourites bicycles & buses. What happened - did they finally realise that m/cs cause less congestion? Or was it just the proximity to the Uni and all of those poor, starving students who can't afford a car who have to use motorbikes?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10600808

I could never afford a car at uni, cos I had to keep fixing the bike...

PirateJafa
2nd October 2009, 08:25
Probably because those bloody uni students would be using it regardless of whether they were allowed to or not. ;)

p.dath
2nd October 2009, 09:10
Probably because of the way they wanted to legally declare the "road", and they had no choice.

But hey, lets not complain. Thank you council for providing special support for motorbikes.

Marmoot
2nd October 2009, 09:15
although I don't know which bikers in their right minds would dare going through Symonds-K'Rd-Grafton intersection...

Swoop
2nd October 2009, 11:03
Probably because those bloody uni students would be using it regardless of whether they were allowed to or not. ;)
Bless their little cotton socks! :first:

Weta
2nd October 2009, 11:35
Yeah i think its because they have designated it a 'Bus Lane' therefore also OK for cycles and us. Good job but watch out for those loose bus drivers who change lanes at will.

paddy
2nd October 2009, 12:50
At last, a policy ruling about motorcycles that makes sense. From today's NZ Herald:

"Grafton Bridge will remain closed to cars and trucks between 7am and 7pm each week-day, leaving its two lanes - one in each direction - free for buses, emergency vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles."

Waxxa
2nd October 2009, 15:25
I saw that in the paper this morning. I was wondering what was going to happen with m/bikes over Grafton...fantastic

Fatt Max
2nd October 2009, 15:58
Yeah i think its because they have designated it a 'Bus Lane' therefore also OK for cycles and us. Good job but watch out for those loose bus drivers who change lanes at will.

Thing is, if you are a mad enough bus driver to change lanes on Grafton Bridge...and you get it wrong.....you face a 50ft drop onto the fecking motorway....

So, all good then

Kickaha
2nd October 2009, 17:47
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C52n9tj2A3E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C52n9tj2A3E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MacD
2nd October 2009, 22:58
It is simply because Grafton Bridge is now designated as a buslane between 7am and 7pm, and the Auckland City Council has allowed motorcycles in bus lanes under its jurisdiction (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/buses/lanes.asp) for several years.

However, Auckland City Council is reasonably motorcycle friendly and provides free motorcycle parking in its parking buildings and pay and display areas (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/motorcycle.asp) (as long as you don't take up a carpark space)

MacD
2nd October 2009, 23:06
At last, a policy ruling about motorcycles that makes sense. From today's NZ Herald:

"Grafton Bridge will remain closed to cars and trucks between 7am and 7pm each week-day, leaving its two lanes - one in each direction - free for buses, emergency vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles."

It is designated as a buslane between 7am and 7pm, and Auckland City Council allows motorcycles to use its buslanes, so it is just being consistent.

However the taxi drivers are not very impressed as Auckland Hospital is a major hub for taxis it seems (from the number double parked in Park Avenue most days).

paddy
2nd October 2009, 23:27
It is designated as a buslane between 7am and 7pm, and Auckland City Council allows motorcycles to use its buslanes, so it is just being consistent.

Fair point. :-)

YellowDog
3rd October 2009, 04:29
Thanks for the heads up.

It has been a real pain not being able to use the bridge.

swbarnett
3rd October 2009, 08:03
although I don't know which bikers in their right minds would dare going through Symonds-K'Rd-Grafton intersection...
Me, for one. What's wrong with it?

musicman
3rd October 2009, 09:38
I've been riding over Grafton Bridge on my work bike a couple of times a week over the past few months. Nobody says a thing. It does help that my work bike has a big Auckland City Council logo on it though, haha.

Ixion
3rd October 2009, 11:34
Thing is, if you are a mad enough bus driver to change lanes on Grafton Bridge...and you get it wrong.....you face a 50ft drop onto the fecking motorway....

So, all good then

Nah, there's footpaths (and I think cycle lanes), both sides. Easy peasy.

McJim
3rd October 2009, 11:52
Crikey. I didn't even know the bridge was shut. Haven't been up that way in 2 years.

Calo
6th October 2009, 02:11

Closed to cagers, they reckon? Didn't look that way when I wandered along to Subway on Park Road yesterday lunchtime. It was amazing how many cagers ignored the big flashing 'Bus Lane - 7am to 7pm' signs positioned either side of the bridge. The $64k question is - when will the powers that be commence issuing infringement notices?

:Oops:

swbarnett
7th October 2009, 19:11
Closed to cagers, they reckon? Didn't look that way when I wandered along to Subway on Park Road yesterday lunchtime. It was amazing how many cagers ignored the big flashing 'Bus Lane - 7am to 7pm' signs positioned either side of the bridge. The $64k question is - when will the powers that be commence issuing infringement notices?

:Oops:
I walked past there at about 1:30pm today and there was a council employee with video camera. He caught at least 6 cars in the 5 minutes I was there.

MarkyMark
15th October 2009, 19:11
I had a chat to that guy the other day and he claims they are just monitoring traffic, not issuing tickets.

metalslug
18th October 2009, 20:18
lots of cars trying to sneak through during day time..... and yes there are survallence around. Saw one car stopped by a biker cop. Gave them a wave as I passed by :clap:

motorbyclist
19th October 2009, 01:06
However, Auckland City Council is reasonably motorcycle friendly...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:killingme:

having been to a council meeting specifically to address these issues i can tell you any impression of support is entirely unintentional - fark we just only recently got them to stop carpet-bombing the uni for wof/rego fines on bikes with them clearly displayed and current, and then they went and removed more than half the available parking! (that's a removal of 25% of auckland city bike parking)

Zuki lover
19th October 2009, 06:14
lots of cars trying to sneak through during day time..... and yes there are survallence around. Saw one car stopped by a biker cop. Gave them a wave as I passed by :clap:

:niceone: :lol: