PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable lifespan

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 19:44
How long should a clutch cable last for?

10500km's or there abouts?

Mines started to fray up at the lever. Bike was bought brand new a year and a half ago and serviced regularly at the shop it was bought from.

Will it come under the warranty or will it be called wear and tear?

YellowDog
3rd October 2009, 20:03
It is wear and tear (at your cost) however it really should have lasted a lot longer. If the cables are lubricated on each service, they should last 3 times that. I guess that if you do a lot if town riding, more lubrication would be required and cables would not last so long.

Was the bike kept outside and subjet to the elements?

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 20:18
It is wear and tear (at your cost) however it really should have lasted a lot longer. If the cables are lubricated on each service, they should last 3 times that. I guess that if you do a lot if town riding, more lubrication would be required and cables would not last so long.

Was the bike kept outside and subjet to the elements?

About 6000kms were touring.

The bike never sat outside when I had it unless I was on the road which was probably for about 3 weeks.

It has spent extended periods of time at the dealer after an issue with the front discs and an insurance claim.

I believe that during these times the bike was was left outside during the day and wheeled into the workshop at night.

Gremlin
3rd October 2009, 20:31
The hornets has probably done at least 20,000km, and it does a lot of town work, so clutch is used a lot.

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 20:54
If the cable was setup properly wouldnt that include greasing the bit on the end of it that attaches to the lever so it would turn/move as the lever was pulled?

This is where the cable is fraying. I would not have expected this to happen if it had been greased.

Ocean1
3rd October 2009, 21:07
If the cable was setup properly wouldnt that include greasing the bit on the end of it that attaches to the lever so it would turn/move as the lever was pulled?

This is where the cable is fraying. I would not have expected this to happen if it had been greased.

Actually, most have a plastic sleeve around the bit on the end. I usually dose 'em with chain wax when I do the chain, can't help myself. Shouldn't need it though, and yours orta have lasted well more than 10k if it's routed right.

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 21:18
Just pulled it off.

There is a wee plastic do dacky around the bit on the end. Right at the bit on the end there is some rust, and no sign of lube anywhere on the cable or around the plastic do dacky.

They did grease the lever though.

AllanB
3rd October 2009, 21:34
Bloody Suzukis ............. :shutup:

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 21:48
According to the service schedule they are supposed to have checked the clutch at the last service.

Would it be safe to assume that they should have also looked at the lever and made sure that it wasnt going to go pear shaped like it has?

AllanB
3rd October 2009, 21:56
According to the service schedule they are supposed to have checked the clutch at the last service.

Supposed to ..........

Yes it should have been looked at. I find they normally do stuff that does not need doing, like oiling and adjusting a chain that was oiled and adjusted a day before....... that was a Suzuki too!

I'd pop in and see them and be all nice and polite, but express, in your nicest and politest manner your surprise in the unusually short life span of the offending clutch cable.

If you are lucky they'll replace it for nix.......

Must go check mine tomorrow ...................

Spuds1234
3rd October 2009, 22:02
Supposed to ..........

Yes it should have been looked at. I find they normally do stuff that does not need doing, like oiling and adjusting a chain that was oiled and adjusted a day before....... that was a Suzuki too!

I'd pop in and see them and be all nice and polite, but express, in your nicest and politest manner your surprise in the unusually short life span of the offending clutch cable.

That will be the case on Monday. I dont really see the point in getting pissy unless they are arseholes about it. So far they have been ok.

Must go check mine tomorrow ...................

Do it now. You will forget if you do it tomorrow.

Ixion
3rd October 2009, 23:50
Um. Von Klunkens is, I know, the original. That's 12 years and 108000 km. Still perfect nick . But regardless, I carry a spare .

YellowDog
4th October 2009, 00:21
Actually, most have a plastic sleeve around the bit on the end. I usually dose 'em with chain wax when I do the chain, can't help myself. Shouldn't need it though, and yours orta have lasted well more than 10k if it's routed right.
That's a good tip.

Spuds1234
5th October 2009, 14:50
All sorted. The cable is well fucked.

Cost of a new cable is about $65 (is this cheap). The shop will be wearing the cost under the warrantee as the nylon nipple protector thing obviously didnt work very well.