PDA

View Full Version : False neutral between 3rd and 4th

specter
3rd October 2009, 23:13
i have a 2007 kawasaki GPX 250r and have noticed when riding hard that when you change from 3rd to 4th lightly it slips into a false neutral?
is this common and can it be fixed
cheers:Punk:

bogan
7th October 2009, 19:44
ive had it on a few bikes, poorly made kwaka gearboxes probly the cause, just make proper shifts, no half shifting :spanking:

chanceyy
8th October 2009, 06:06
Have to agree with Bogan there, my ole RZ used to do that if I did a soft, (half arsed) gear change, needed a really positive change to stop it doing that ..

specter
8th October 2009, 07:04
yea yea i thourght that too.
i was just wondering if there was a mechanical fix

Mom
8th October 2009, 07:08
Make sure the gear lever is adjusted properly on the spline too. If you have to really try hard to make the change perhaps you could move it a couple of notches on the spline so it is in a more natural place for your foot to reach and easily make the change.

specter
26th October 2009, 20:37
i know ur watching daniel u gay fag retard!!! lol

F5 Dave
30th October 2009, 16:39
The more this happens the more damage is caused to the dogs on the gears.

Kawis do have a bit of a rep for casual gearboxes on some models (ZX6s spring to mind). Your best low effort approach is to 1 check that you are getting full unfettered stroke of your lever & both parts of linkage (if fitted) are a parallelogram, ie same angle. The next thing is you could try buying a Factory detent roller (check factorypro site) & possibly a slightly stiffer spring for said detent roller.

You might find at the desperate end some oils are a bit slicker & aid clean shifting. Ignore additives.

Failing that it is strip the gearbox & shim for more engagement/ undercut the gears, but that's another story.