PDA

View Full Version : Broken alternator cover

drz hoffy
6th October 2009, 17:15
Hi everyone
2006 DRZ400e
I did it broke the alternator side cover on the weekend, stopped to take a photo of the SNOW we were riding on and slipped:Oops: and the bike fell on the gear lever leaving a hole in the cover OUCH, so my question is does anyone know where to get the case cover protectors i read so much about, in New Zealand or Australia, bit late now i know LOL
Cheers
Hoffy

popelli
6th October 2009, 17:33
take it to a decent welder and get it welded, clean it up and repolish it and nobody will know the difference

drz hoffy
6th October 2009, 18:08
For that but it's made of Magnesium can they weld that also it's pretty much crumbled LOL cheers

F5 Dave
7th October 2009, 16:09
Try Ballards in Aus, google it, someone will likely make them. Thumper talk or Dirt rider net will likely throw up an answer. For a temp repair a welder with magnesium filler rods may be able to patch it up enough that you could seal it with JB weld unless it is completely eggshelled.

Squiggles
7th October 2009, 16:38
Ask morcs where he got his...

Morcs
12th October 2009, 07:29
I had to get it welded, a new cover was OMG$$$

Youll need a good welder though, most wont touch magnesium. Cost me about $90, and id put a hole the size of an egg through it and didnt have the pieces.

Get case armour once its fixed - literally two pieces of alloy that you silicone on the cases, I never had a broken case after that, and it hides the welded cover too ;)

vifferman
12th October 2009, 07:35
Youll need a good welder though, most wont touch magnesium.
Huh.
Many (many) moons ago, I cracked one of the covers on my Elsinore (magnesium alloy). Even though this was back in the Stone Age, and I was living in Rotorua, I had very little trouble getting it welded.

My current Heap-o-Shite(TM) also had a cracked case. Dunno what the ferk it's made from, but I fixed it with JB Weld. Cost me $14, plus a new gasket. Could've bought a new clutch cover for US$180 instead, I guess...
Might still need to.

Transalper
12th October 2009, 08:31
Got my engine case guards online from these guys... http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/
They do DR650, DRZ400 and XR650 now.
About $16.50 USD each guard and less than a week to arrive.