PDA

View Full Version : Bike THIEVES around Wellesley Drive area

HungusMaximist
8th October 2009, 13:32
Hi all,
I work around the Wellesley drive area. Anyone around here be aware that from Gov Fitzroy Place and St Paul's st 2 cars and 3 bikes/scooters have been stolen in the last 2 weeks. My friends suzuki scooter, a 50cc silver one, was taken around 6:00pm in daylight from outside the AUT cafe. This is a very busy area at that time, so be aware.
If anyone has any info pls pm me, that failing that everyone be on the lookout for suspicious behaviour. Be careful approaching anyone as someone told me that several weeks ago in another Auckland carpark they disturbed theives stealing a bike, who then jumped into a van. Heading off to the car park exit on foot he was lucky not to have been mowed down as they smashed the barrier arm.

I thought I'll just make a mention here.

Original thread here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1129446046#post1129446046

Watch out if you do park around there!

Squiggles
8th October 2009, 17:28
Bugger, ill put a reminder in the next newsletter

Metalor
8th October 2009, 18:55
I want to meet these bike theives, they sound like really nice guys.

R6_kid
8th October 2009, 18:57
Time to start using the beefy chain again!

oldrider
8th October 2009, 19:12
Why doesn't someone wire up a dummy bike and blow the bastards to bits after they load the bike in their van!

Well maybe something slightly less drastic than dynamite but just as effective!

Well, you know what I mean! :mad: :argh:

Slyer
8th October 2009, 19:45
Why doesn't someone wire up a dummy bike and blow the bastards to bits after they load the bike in their van!

Well maybe something slightly less drastic than dynamite but just as effective!

Well, you know what I mean! :mad: :argh:
If I had far far far too much money, I'd so be down for this.

Mom
8th October 2009, 20:00
Tis a sad thing to read. I guess all I can suggest is to take a friggen HUGE chain and lock with you, and chain your wheels up to something that cant be stolen.

Fuckers :mad:

Dean
8th October 2009, 21:12
Tis a sad thing to read. I guess all I can suggest is to take a friggen HUGE chain and lock with you, and chain your wheels up to something that cant be stolen.

Sorry mom but for the better of KB dont heed the advice she said.

If you put chains on your bike it doesent matter, I could take your bike with a bolt cutter then lift it in to a van. If you are very cautious of your bike you can install a gps tracker, alarms dont really do the trick, not many people will stop to check out a bike alarm going off these days. Because we have been accustomed to the owners making common problems and expect the alarm to turn off eventually.

ital916
8th October 2009, 21:42
Sorry mom but for the better of KB dont heed the advice she said.

If you put chains on your bike it doesent matter, I could take your bike with a bolt cutter then lift it in to a van. If you are very cautious of your bike you can install a gps tracker, alarms dont really do the trick, not many people will stop to check out a bike alarm going off these days. Because we have been accustomed to the owners making common problems and expect the alarm to turn off eventually.

A good chain purpose built for motorcycles will do just fine. The heavy duty ones I sell at work would take the incredible hulk to cut through and if they do manage to (a few hours later), someone would have noticed by then. Only way you're getting through it is with a concrete cutter or a cutting torch.

In the end, if they want it enough then they will take it. But a heavy duty chain will make life hard enough that they will think twice.

Squiggles
9th October 2009, 08:32
A good chain purpose built for motorcycles will do just fine. The heavy duty ones I sell at work would take the incredible hulk to cut through and if they do manage to (a few hours later), someone would have noticed by then. Only way you're getting through it is with a concrete cutter or a cutting torch.

search the internets, theres a great vid out there where they destroy all those sold secure gold ones in under a minute :bugger: Good as a deterrent though.

Reckless
9th October 2009, 08:40
yeh but doesn't the security hassle just Piss you off! Simply because some faggot wants what you have worked for!
I know Get get freckin sick of unbolting padlocks and chains every time I want to get my bikes out of the garage or park them somewhere!!!!

Real_Wolf
9th October 2009, 08:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXvgmNrn4Y - strong chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfkn0mk0X2I&feature=video_response - weak chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrsmQUPyTC0&feature=related - not bad chain

Biggest thing I'd say (that I stole from someone else):

One lesson from this is that when chaining a bike don't have the chain near the ground or any other solid surface that can be used for leverage on the cutter.

Dean
9th October 2009, 09:55
search the internets, theres a great vid out there where they destroy all those sold secure gold ones in under a minute :bugger: Good as a deterrent though.

Too right squiggles, bottom line : Dont waste your time and money with supposedly "heavy duty chains", what makes it worse is their are videos, pics, tutorials all over the internet of how to snatch a bike in every possible manner for dummies.

Not to mention if you dont have an alarm people can sit on your bike and ruin the suspension, spit, deficate or spew on your seat, put products on your tyres, scratch your paintjob, put paint over the speedo, cut the speedo cables, push it off stand. If you have an alarm its very rare for people to stop and look. GPS TRACKER is the way to go.

R6_kid
9th October 2009, 10:15
And how often does any of that shit happen?

You need to get out more Dean :niceone:

Dean
9th October 2009, 10:26
And how often does any of that shit happen?

You need to get out more Dean :niceone:

That shit happens alot, people spitting on the seats is the main one in carparks.

Sounds like you dont get out much and your a mentor:clap::banana:

PirateJafa
9th October 2009, 11:19
That shit happens alot, people spitting on the seats is the main one in carparks.

Sounds like you dont get out much and your a mentor:clap::banana:

It's your own fault for living in such a shithole. Never seen nor heard of that in Auckland.

Come back when you enter the real world.

R6_kid
9th October 2009, 11:52

Sounds like you dont get out much and you're a mentor:clap::banana:

The only time anything of the type you listed has happened to me was when I was at rowing training and one of the older guys put tomato sauce on my seat after I had done some shit to his car.

I've done nearly 3000km in the last month on my own bike - I prefer to ride my bike rather than leaving it sitting out in the open in public places.

Dean
9th October 2009, 12:13
It's your own fault for living in such a shithole. Never seen nor heard of that in Auckland.

Come back when you enter the real world.
Whangaparaoa isnt exactly a shithole, kinda high class in some places, Otara is more of a shithole but I tell you what their fried bread on the weekend at the markets is something.

No need for the fuss, it does happen but I guess it hasnt happened to you yet.

The only time anything of the type you listed has happened to me was when I was at rowing training and one of the older guys put tomato sauce on my seat after I had done some shit to his car.

I've done nearly 3000km in the last month on my own bike - I prefer to ride my bike rather than leaving it sitting out in the open in public places.

Students pissing in a bottle then pouring it on principles gsx750 seat, spitting on it.
Not saying you dont ride alot, 3000ks is a huge amount keep it up.
Anyways forget about it man have a nice day/ride im not here to bitch about it.

motorbyclist
11th October 2009, 00:00
soooo...

back to reality, atleast by having an alarm/chain/lock you make your bike less appealing to thieves, just be sure to park next to someone with a more desirable bike and less security

and when insurance and police ask if you had any locks, "I have a cable lock under the pillion seat......" isn't the best answer. I speak from experience :doh:

Danae
11th October 2009, 00:22
just be sure to park next to someone with a more desirable bike and less security

I'll just park next to you then! :2thumbsup

stig
13th October 2009, 19:22
I scored a 10mm through hardened chain with a fancy lock.
bolt cutter will break before getting through and hacksaw is a waste of time as well.
its not listed on their site but for referance:
http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/shop/security-products-c-107.html?page=1&sort=20a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXvgmNrn4Y - strong chain
If they are going to go to this kinda trouble then theres little you can do.
Gas axes, angle grinders and thermic lances aren't the most portable or conspicuous devices, so if its parked in a good spot and chained down, your insurance access should be pretty safe.

Real_Wolf
13th October 2009, 23:22
yeah, its a simple case.

If they really want to steal your bike, they will, no matter what you do.

But if they think its too much effort they are less likely to do so

motorbyclist
14th October 2009, 12:06
If they are going to go to this kinda trouble then theres little you can do.
Gas axes, angle grinders and thermic lances aren't the most portable or conspicuous devices...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zb8YXrmIA

note at 1:28 there is a cop car right behind him

MarkyMark
17th October 2009, 14:09

I agree with the part about having a friggen huge chain, but I can think of a better way of using it...