PDA

View Full Version : Pull-start help

prettybillie
20th October 2009, 08:42
Hey All

I've just bought a GRC replica and after only a few pulls on the start it won't coil back up :( Is this easy to fix? If so how do I do it? Otherwise where can I get a new pull start from and what sort do I need.

It's a 40cc water cooled engine with the chain and the pull start on the right hand side.

BigAl
20th October 2009, 09:00
Hi PB, whip the pull start off and see if it retracts by itself.
If it doesn't then a bit of percussive maintenance might be required as there is a spring in there to rewind the cord.

prettybillie
20th October 2009, 09:02
By percussive do you mean smacking it like a drum :lol:

Thanks for that. Will do it tonight and see how it goes.

BigAl
20th October 2009, 09:32
Yeah, I usually use a hammer or big wrench:2thumbsup

CookMySock
20th October 2009, 11:17
You can wind an extra turn on the spring easily enough once you have seen it done, but its a hard thing to describe, so here goes.

Unbolt and remove the starter unit from the bike. Don't disassemble it!

Hold it in one hand and the starter handle in the other hand, and give it a few pulls and see where the cord wraps around the pulley thingy. Notice the pulley thingy has a little dent near the rim - that is to fit the starter cord into for the next step. You need an extra wrap of the pulley to tighten the string.

This is how - pull the handle out a bit until the little dent is near the cord exit , and then put your thumb on the rotating pulley thingy and hold it tightly so it cant turn, and push the starter cord string back so there is a loop inside the starter near the dent, and then grab the string and hold it tightly in the dent, and wind one turn tighter (against the force of the spring) on the pulley only so the dent is back at the beginning and the spring is one turn tighter, now while holding the pulley down tightly (dont let it go!) grab the starter handle and pull the cord out straight with your third arm. Got it? Clear as mud ay.

Hehe, don't let the pulley go! You will though.. everyone does.. lol. And don't be tempted to undo the screw and disassemble the starter.. lol you will get a big fright. Wear safety glasses if you do.

Steve

Z1_ZPF_BOY
20th October 2009, 15:20
Hey All

I've just bought a GRC replica and after only a few pulls on the start it won't coil back up :( Is this easy to fix? If so how do I do it? Otherwise where can I get a new pull start from and what sort do I need.

It's a 40cc water cooled engine with the chain and the pull start on the right hand side.

If you cannot fix it try Greg from xtreme, he sells the GRC rev engine so might be able to fix you up with a pull start...

http://xminimoto.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_38
or
greg.o@xtra.co.nz

Hope this helps,
Connor

CookMySock
20th October 2009, 19:07
shit you dont need to buy a new one.. someone at the track will fix it for you at the same time as rolling thenselves a smoke. If you are really stuck, take it to the chainsaw shop and ask the mechanic to show you.. that will make him grin. Tell him its off your race bike lol.

It won't take long and you will know heaps about them.

Steve

prettybillie
21st October 2009, 08:33
Well it seems we've got it going. There is still a little droopy bit where the pull start doesn't completely coil back up - but nothing of concern.

OMFG the damn thing goes though! I nearly wiped myself out when it accidently (I really mean after too much on the throttle) popped a wheelie!!! :lol:

Thanks for all your help guys!

BigAl
21st October 2009, 10:58
Yeah they go pretty good PB, you may want to look out for an 11th front pinion to give more top end but the 10 will be fine while you're getting used to it.

Make sure to use a good synthetic oil at 25-30/1