PDA

View Full Version : So now it's really out there... (Article on Grub's death)

Nasty
21st October 2009, 04:58
Coming up one year now with the inquest into Grubs death tomorrow it fit to make some noise about what happened around his accident.

He didn't die for nothing ... there are changes ... those changes will help everyone, those who ride and those who live in "bum fuck" nowhere' ... now everyone knows the timeframe .. and the screwups that led to his death. Those on the scene and who looked after my darling, my lover did an awesome job (you don't know how much I appreciate you) ....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2984245/111-errors-blamed-for-bikers-death

elle-f
21st October 2009, 05:10
You are the coolest chick around. We are all really proud of you chicky!

Nasty
21st October 2009, 05:17
Thanks ... ALL the issues are out there now ... the inquest tomorrow .. and you know its gonna be ok.

chanceyy
21st October 2009, 05:50
Awesome work & dedication Kari, this will save someone elses life :clap:

Mom
21st October 2009, 05:53
What an amazing article, all those details out there so people can see how badly Grub was let down by the ambulance service. I hope they have the good grace to contact you today to update you on how much progress they have actually made in implementing the changes they need to.

Well done you!

Mom
21st October 2009, 06:22
Ooops, I appear to have contacted Breakfast about this :innocent:

PrincessBandit
21st October 2009, 06:31
Such a terrible price to be paid for the amazing result you have achieved. There will no doubt be a lot of lives saved through your efforts. You both have made an enormous difference; thank you for the dedication through your heartache Nasty.

crazyhorse
21st October 2009, 06:31
I did not know the circumstances - but it is disgusting to see the huge breakdown in the system we are supposed to trust in.

May you have strength for tomorrow :hug:

yungatart
21st October 2009, 06:40
That makes for sobering reading....
Well done, you!
Your courage and determination has made a difference for all of us!
I am proud of you...and will be with you in spirit tomorrow.

riffer
21st October 2009, 06:42
Yes, good to see something positive coming out of it. http://myaddress.co.nz should help this not happening again we hope.

Glad to see there's not been a whitewash like what happened with a friend of ours in Christchurch Hospital Mental Health Unit.

Mom
21st October 2009, 06:49
Yes, good to see something positive coming out of it. http://myaddress.co.nz should help this not happening again we hope.

Glad to see there's not been a whitewash like what happened with a friend of ours in Christchurch Hospital Mental Health Unit.

Personally I dont think there could have been a whitewash, Nasty simply has not let things lie at all, she has been very proactive in following up and keeping gentle but sustained pressure on through this process. It will be very interesting to see what the coronor has to say tomorrow :yes:

sels1
21st October 2009, 07:01
Good work Kari,
and all the best for tomorrow

sunhuntin
21st October 2009, 07:25
kari... you are amazing. well done and thank you for what you have made happen.
will be thinking of you tomorrow. :hug:

are there any plans for a memorial ride at all?

MSTRS
21st October 2009, 07:40
We are all right behind you Kari. Exposing incompetence and getting it 'corrected' is a wonderful legacy for Brett.

madmal64
21st October 2009, 08:04
Fantastic effort there Kari. I truly really hope that this sort of problem can now be resolved and no one else ends up going down the same path. Thinking of you for tomorrow & look for to riding with you on the 1000k.

<G>
21st October 2009, 08:10
Sad reading about the delays. Kudos to you Kari for making a difference.

denefoster
21st October 2009, 08:38
Very sobering indeed, and now things are better for an entire country. Can't express enough sorrow, and gratitude.

sunhuntin
21st October 2009, 10:50
bought a copy of the dom post. the map they included with the article shows just how badly they fucked up. :mad:

StoneY
21st October 2009, 13:15
With ya tomooro cuz, in spirit at least
Great achievement on all our behalves

You rock girl

Nasty
21st October 2009, 13:15
TVNZ has requested to flim the at the inquest .... which is brillient ... not sure what they will run ... but its really scary how big this is.

Lissa
21st October 2009, 13:27
Good luck for tomorrow Kari! Grub would be so proud of you. Will also be thinking about you tomorrow. (And maybe see you on the telly).

portokiwi
21st October 2009, 13:32
:hug: Same from Gabby and I Kari.
Its such a shame so much shambles was done at that time.
The Ambulance allways states that golden hour is the most importent.
We allways pushed it in rescue.

Fatjim
21st October 2009, 14:48
In a perverted way I notice the fire department was sent to secure the scene once Grub was pronounced dead. They should have been sent to the call centre instead!

KoroJ
21st October 2009, 18:23
Good on ya Kari!

I got a big surprise when Ann passed me the paper this morning. Front page no less!

chanceyy
22nd October 2009, 16:50
Keep an eye out for TV One tonite, as they attended the inquest into Bretts death (along with dominion)

The coroner was compassionate, and did a very good job of drilling down to what mistakes were made by the central region comms for St John.

Kari did an outstanding job & really cut to the chase several times :clap: the police prosecutor had very high praise after the session, stated that Kari was a strong, determined woman and thanks to her, lessons will be learnt, Bretts death will mean something.

Th coroner apologised to Kari as she will reserve her decision as she wants more info from St Johns before she delivers her findings, however she has also indicated that some scathing remarks will be forthcoming and for some parties to be prepared ..

Well done Kari, you have done yourself, Brett and the biking community proud .. :hug:

Mom
22nd October 2009, 17:28
Well I just watched that item on the news. Seems like there will be some seriously concrete good that comes from Bretts death. Thank you Chanceyy for being there with Nasty. We await the coronors findings with interest.

sunhuntin
22nd October 2009, 18:12
thanks for being with her, chanceyy... wish i could have been there as well.
kari... well done chick.
i finally worked out last night why it had to be brett instead of someone else... no one elses death would have changed the way things are done and gone on to save lives.
i forgot to watch channel one, so does anyone have a link to the article? and i will check tomorrows dom as well.

Nasty
23rd October 2009, 04:46
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2992057/Coroner-set-to-slate-111-response

A very good result methinks :):)

YellowDog
23rd October 2009, 05:11
Yes I do think that it is a good result for many and would say that it is unusual to have such a public admission of failure.

My wife works for Healthline and she is still quite unhappy when an ambulance is required for remote and rural destinations. Some homes don't have an actual address and the owners don't know their emergency coordinates number.

Let's hope things start moving in the right direction. Your hard work will eventually result in the benefit for many.

Well done.

Number One
23rd October 2009, 05:57
As many others have said all along this journey Kari - your strength and determination to see changes made is absolutely awe inspiring. You are one tough lady and I thank you for the effort you have gone to to help ensure that others should not be let down by emergency services in future.

Good on you girl :hug:

nudemetalz
23rd October 2009, 07:43
Yes, agree with all of these comments here. You've done well, Kari.
Brett would (is) have been so proud of you.

James Deuce
23rd October 2009, 07:47
:2thumbsup

An outcome for certain. Nice work Kari.

nudemetalz
23rd October 2009, 07:49
Link for TV1 news

http://tvnz.co.nz/one-news/update-video-966704

1/4 way through on chapter 2.

chanceyy
23rd October 2009, 08:04
Thank you Chanceyy for being there with Nasty. We await the coronors findings with interest.

thanks for being with her, chanceyy... wish i could have been there as well.

There were four of us there supporting Kari, her sister Dale, friend Gaye, and fr KB Miss Piggy and my self. The police were also very supportive of Kari as well, Kari was given the opportunity to ask questions and assisted the coroner in clarifying details. The drilling down certainly showed the "gaps" that have occurred. This issue could have been so easily swept under the carpet, due to Kari's persistance and determination changes are being made ..

We await the coroners findings with interest, st johns have already been put on notice of the scathing remarks that will be forthcoming

Zuki lover
23rd October 2009, 08:29
Sometimes it takes us to stand up for what is right. Real sad to lose a loved one when it possibly could've been avoided if they had done their job right.

Good on ya Nasty. :)

MyGSXF
23rd October 2009, 09:11
Thinking of you Kari :hug:

Stand tall & be proud of what you've done! :first:

RIP Grub

ynot slow
24th October 2009, 20:28
Well bloody done,if this helps someone great.You never know it maybe one of us this helps.

The coloquial names need to be placed into the main network,and you wonder why they weren't.Forgotten H/Way,Surf H/Way just 2 in Taranaki plus many other local routes which are now on maps and should've been included to help despatchers.

XP@
28th October 2009, 14:18
Hi Kari,

We all thank you for following it through and not taking the easy option and letting it pass as is so often is the case. Let us hope many more lives will be saved with changes made :)

As a direct result of Brett and Zukins deaths I have made a personal change. I realised how woefully unprotected and fragile our chests are. Our knees generally have more protection than our vital organs!
I now wear Knox chest and back protectors under my jacket. It takes a couple of minutes extra to put on and off and restricts movement a bit. But even if it doesn't stop all the damage it may just buy enough time to get me to someone who can save me.

Again, thanks, you are an inspiration!