PDA

View Full Version : Help with engine mounting in barstool

BASS-TREBLE
1st November 2009, 20:58
School holidays coming up, last years project was making pic 1, 50cc semi auto 4 speed.

This summer project is to put the motor from my old GN into it...lot's of time so will do it right.

Pic 2 shows the 4 mounting holes, I am curious to know it the bottom on each side is enough?

I have the old frame sitting in the shed and I might use the front mounts of it, it's like a C reaching to the top and bottom of the starter, or is bottom sufficient?

The top rear 'mount' is where the swingarm sat so that obviously isn't needed for support.

Will update this thread once it gets going, might be couple of weeks.

YellowDog
1st November 2009, 21:01
I'd lower the stool height if I were you.

Centre of gravity is a little high.

Fantastic project. Well done.

BASS-TREBLE
1st November 2009, 21:07
I'd lower the stool height if I were you.

Centre of gravity is a little high.

Fantastic project. Well done.

Forgot to mention, I plan to tear it all off and tidy it up.
Take stool off, fit the GN caliper, mount GNs rev counter etc and then remount it all and give it a powdercoat.
If I stumble upon an actual spongy barstool I'll buy that and make it a tad lower.

Atm I reach down with foot to change gears, plan to extend it to the front, copying cruisers with the linkage.

gatch
1st November 2009, 21:25
It wouldn't be all that hard to use all the mounts ?

Probably not necessary but I am a fan of over engineering.. Use cap screws or something as the mounts, the tensile strength on those things is fantastic..

Good luck with it man, looks like a barrel of fun !

F5 Dave
3rd November 2009, 16:42
Kind of missing the point isn't it? Just looks like a minikart with a stool. What's all this handlebar stuff?

I though barstool racing had to have a wheelbase not too far removed from the original stool. Small wheels, tiny wheel base. Highly dangerous & spectacularly funny.

BASS-TREBLE
3rd November 2009, 17:10
Kind of missing the point isn't it? Just looks like a minikart with a stool. What's all this handlebar stuff?

I though barstool racing had to have a wheelbase not too far removed from the original stool. Small wheels, tiny wheel base. Highly dangerous & spectacularly funny.

Probably, I just built it from pictures I saw.
Come and take it for a spin, I'm sure you won't complain, shitload of fun.

F5 Dave
4th November 2009, 08:25
Actually I did go & look at some website they do look similar. When I first saw it on the TV a decade or two ago it looked like a sure fire way to lose some teeth.

Anyway I'll let you get back to it.

Wake me up when you've put an RM250 engine with a 'spanny wrapping it's way around the legs.

Bren
4th November 2009, 10:29
Dont let ACC find out, they might impose a levie on barstools...

roadracingoldfart
7th November 2009, 20:26

Actually I did go & look at some website they do look similar. When I first saw it on the TV a decade or two ago it looked like a sure fire way to lose some teeth.

Anyway I'll let you get back to it.

Wake me up when you've put an RM250 engine with a 'spanny wrapping it's way around the legs.

Many sleeps ago i built one with a CB400T engine . Now that was what i thought the max you could use, we front up to an event in Waipukarau (how do you spell it) and there was a guy with a Z1000 j in one. That was just insane but he has severe traction issues at 1600 rpm or higher because the wheels were only 4inch dia.
For the record the winner was on an RD200 electric start powered beastie and it was the pissiest weekend i ever experianced.
Those Thunder Park drag boys were insane drinkers.

Paul.

BASS-TREBLE
18th November 2009, 22:19
Does anyone see a reason why a GN carb won't work with a fuel pump?

F5 Dave
19th November 2009, 08:23
Might well be an issue depending on the pump, but all you need is a tiny reservoir & a return hose so the pressure is never too high.

BASS-TREBLE
15th November 2010, 20:54
Posted this on barflyracers.com so might as well share with you lot too!

Will try to make a video sometime soon.

750mm wheelbase, about 950 Track width
Electric start, CV carb which needs some final tuning. Stubby exhaust.
Fuel pump which took some ingenuity to use as the carb doesnt normally have one and I wanted to avoid a fuel pressure regulator.

As for wheelie bars, you can see they are literally 'bars' which stick out the back, prevents it getting too high.

Brake is cable from bars to by the silencer, then its hydraulic to the old front caliper of the GN.

5" Go-kart rims and tyres.
520 Chain
I geared it as low as possible, I don't like the idea of going fast with the small front tyres. In exchange it pulls like crazy, and makes a meal of any hill, but I guess around 50kmh/30mph
Traction on the grass is close to none in the rear to be honest, it's not as easy/cheap as it is for you guys to get wets here in NZ
I think they have about 20hp or so?

Seat is from a tractor shop
Homemade kill switch which attaches to your wrist
5L Keg for tank

What have I missed?

edit: Bigger pics

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m630/blahdirk/Stuff/DSCF2808.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m630/blahdirk/Stuff/DSCF2807.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m630/blahdirk/Stuff/DSCF2811.jpg

imdying
16th November 2010, 08:32
750mm wheelbase, about 950 Track widthGay. That's not a racing barstool, it's a gokart with a stupid seat. Disappointing.