PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

prettybillie
2nd November 2009, 07:37
Hi All - me again!!

I was hooning around on my GRC Rep on Sunday when all of a sudden the back wheel just decided to not go around anymore. I checked the brakes and they are not stuck on, so have no idea what it is. Any ideas?

When the bike is on the back wheel won't go round at all and when it is not on it will go around for half a meter or so and then jam up again.

BigAl
2nd November 2009, 07:45
Hi PB, I think you will find if you take the back wheel out that the inner wheel hub spacer(tube) is too short, mine was. This means that the pressure from the axle nuts are causing the wheel bearings to jam.

Measure the inner distance between the bearings and replace by cutting some similar diameter tube. You may have to replace the bearings as well but they are readily available from a bearing shop, max $10 eac.

prettybillie
2nd November 2009, 08:04
Oh yay - nothing major then. Phew!!!!

Quasievil
2nd November 2009, 08:06
Have you got some free play in your brake pedal ???? with the Motard you must have it or once the brake system is hot it will lock, I assume the same applies

CookMySock
2nd November 2009, 09:53
"Pedal" hehe.

Welcome to minimoto, PB. These little terrors ALWAYS have something that needs fixing on them. Every time you take it out there will be some mini-drama with them.. thats just the way of the replica chinese pocketbike. :niceone:

You will learn the most about them down at the track with the old-school folks, who will teach you everything you need to know. None of it is complex or in-depth, but theres a continuous stream of knowledge to collect and helpful and fun people to meet.

Steve

prettybillie
2nd November 2009, 10:23
They sure are neurotic little bastards. Lucky they are so much fun ha

prettybillie
3rd November 2009, 14:38
Okay - I've got another problem now hahahaha

My bike is blowing all the coolant out of the bike when it heats up and then when it cools down it sucks it all back in. In the mean time if you hoon around on it for 5 minutes the coolant pours out everywhere leaving it completely empty. Hmmmm I don't think this is right???

prettybillie
3rd November 2009, 14:38
Hi PB, I think you will find if you take the back wheel out that the inner wheel hub spacer(tube) is too short, mine was. This means that the pressure from the axle nuts are causing the wheel bearings to jam.

Measure the inner distance between the bearings and replace by cutting some similar diameter tube. You may have to replace the bearings as well but they are readily available from a bearing shop, max $10 eac.

Thanks BigAl - you were right. I got the back wheel moving. However, now how do I get it to stop pissing coolant everywhere????

BigAl
3rd November 2009, 15:09
Cool, re. wheel.

Coolant, only fill the coolant bottle about 1/3 full and locate a flat on the cap with the front of the bottle as there is a small vent on each flat of the cap.
This allows pressure to escape. Don't remove cap when hot just like a car radiator.

When you have run the bike for a few minutes, just check that the radiator is warm as this is a quick way to check that your water pump is working. Which hopefully it is.:pinch:

Hope this helps PB.

prettybillie
3rd November 2009, 15:34
Thanks dude!

Is there still a day at Mt Wellington on the 14th? I'm hoping to have all these "little" issues sorted so I can come give it a go!!

CookMySock
3rd November 2009, 19:34
When the bike is on the back wheel...Shivers.. :shit:

Coolant, yeah the little header tank only needs to be 1/3 to 1/2 full.

UNLESS its getting real hot and spewing hot coolant everywhere under pressure... thats not good if its doing that. Best place for you is at the track where experienced folks can observe directly.

Steve

BigAl
3rd November 2009, 20:35
Is there still a day at Mt Wellington on the 14th?

Yep, I'll stick a posing up next week. You'll love the Grc on the track!:yes:

grantman
3rd November 2009, 21:09
Hi Pretty billy
I have a GRC rep too
I have changed the front sprocket and the gearing is a lot better for MT wellington.
It means its not so agressive when it comes onto the power band while cornering.

The GRC reps are great fun and sound awesome on the track.

I hope to be there on the 14th as I have missed a few months lately.:crybaby:

BigAl is the man for the GRC rep info.

prettybillie
4th November 2009, 08:16
UNLESS its getting real hot and spewing hot coolant everywhere under pressure... thats not good if its doing that.

This is what is is doing :crybaby:

I'm definitely going to head down on the 14th with the bike. With what it's going at the moment I don't think I'd be allowed it on the track though.

BigAl
4th November 2009, 08:26
Whip the pull start off and you'll see the water pump belt, does it look ok? you should be able to turn water pump by hand.

sinfull
4th November 2009, 08:35
This is what is is doing :crybaby:

I'm definitely going to head down on the 14th with the bike. With what it's going at the moment I don't think I'd be allowed it on the track though.
Don't know if i mentioned my lil overheating problem on the weekend chic but before ya go stripping the thing down, take the radiator cap in and get it tested, or just replace if you have a spare !!

prettybillie
4th November 2009, 09:19
Man - you guys are the best!!!!! Green bling all round!