PDA

View Full Version : Bike thief gets two years imprisonment after trying to sell stolen bike to owner

Bob
4th November 2009, 01:10
Dublin, Ireland: When Derek Hutch, 24, a known criminal in the Dublin area, accidentally tried to sell a stolen motorcycle to its real owner, Gardai (police) set up a sting operation that led to a prison sentence.

Michael Heffernan met Hutch to view the Honda VFR750. Quickly realising it was his, though modified, he withdrew and called Gardai. A Gardai officer arranged a viewing with Hutch and secretly took the bike’s chassis number. This was then run through the vehicle registration database and showed it to be the bike owned by Mr Heffernan.

Gardai arrested Hutch, who pleaded guilty to possessing the stolen bike, has 24 previous convictions, 11 of which are currently before the courts.

In sentencing Hutch, Judge Delahunt also ordered that the bike be restored to Mr Heffernan.

(I know this doesn't affect you in NZ, but wouldn't it be nice if bike theft was taken so seriously everywhere? Two years inside at least sends a message saying 'Steal a bike and we will put you away')

YellowDog
4th November 2009, 05:03
Blimey!

Despite the Irish joke thing, most Irish people I know are well educated and very intelligent.

You'd have to be a real dumb arse not to be able to recognise your own bike. All those little imperfections that only you know are there.

Lucky this Irish dumb arse turned out to be the theif.

{.bLanK}G_o_D
4th November 2009, 06:53
has 24 previous convictions, 11 of which are currently before the courts.

No doubt that was a major contributing factor for the prison sentence.
I doubt you'd go to prison just for theft of a vehicle alone.

Despite the Irish joke thing, most Irish people I know are well educated and very intelligent.

Ditto
My Physio is Irish, well educated, very good at her job, and she's dam cute too.

CookMySock
4th November 2009, 08:00
Hehe, we just go steal it back.

Steve