PDA

View Full Version : Proddy Mod won't run

mohawk
5th November 2009, 19:28
This bike used too go like hell , but over the last 2 meetings its lost power and died .
It will start and idle with the choke on but dies instantly when i gas it.
Ive stripped and cleaned the carby twice, checked clutch, tryed new spark plug and electrics, checked gas filter, tank breather and fule lines and throttle.
Its got me stuffed, i did notice alittle gas around the intake when it idled without the air filter on it tho?
Could it be the reed block mabey? I doubt it would be a float level problem because it used to go well and i havent alterd anything.
Its got a 14mm carb, i dont want to pull the motor apart if i dont have too.

CookMySock
5th November 2009, 19:34
bro, does it have a fuel cock? These are really unreliable.. pull the cock apart and check it for crap stuck in it.

Haha, what?

Steve

Gadgit
5th November 2009, 20:38
Oh dear Mohawk. Steves on to it. sounds like a fuel starving problem. And it sounds like you've had a good go at trying to find it.. reed problem normaly makes it hard to start so wouldn't spend too much time on them. Air leak is a biggy between carb and manifold- manifold and engine. Whats the flow from the tank like ?? block in the tank outlet? . rule the fuel out then on to the spark whats the plug look like?? is the gap the right size on the plug?? theres a few to keep ya busy

mohawk
5th November 2009, 21:10
yup, checked plug and flow from tank all the way down to the needle valve.
Will check for air leak tomorrow.
thanks guys.

Sidewinder
5th November 2009, 21:14
where do you race it in hams?

mohawk
5th November 2009, 21:26
Sadly, nowhere at the moment. but Waihi, Edgecumbe,Tam, and Mt wellington are all within a couple of hours.

Sidewinder
5th November 2009, 21:28
Sadly, nowhere at the moment. but Waihi, Edgecumbe,Tam, and Mt wellington are all within a couple of hours.

should realy get a place sussed out in hams for it aye, come on if waihi can do it!

Gadgit
5th November 2009, 21:33
should realy get a place sussed out in hams for it aye, come on if waihi can do it!

Haha what ya trying to say there lol..
There used to be a bunch of 10-12 guys that raced aroung the Base car park after 9 at night most week nights but haven't heard much from them lately. The Waihi thing is new and hope to adopt the same to a Hamilton location in the future seen as the kart club will not let us on.

mohawk
5th November 2009, 21:34
Yup, theres alot of racers in Hamilton. Just gota find a venue i guesse. The missus is keen as hell to get something sorted out.

Sidewinder
5th November 2009, 21:39
Yup, theres alot of racers in Hamilton. Just gota find a venue i guesse. The missus is keen as hell to get something sorted out.

go kart track???
or do some street races lol

mohawk
6th November 2009, 19:04
Ok, Bike still being a wank.
Took of inline fule tap and checked flow all the way through to needle valve. the motor idles with choke on fine and picks up when i manualy turn choke off. With the choke off it trys to go when i twist throttle but pretty much dies strait away. It just wont rev at all.
I did notice fine fule spray blowing out of carb when it idles tho. Will a d2 needle valve fit, it may be that ?

CookMySock
6th November 2009, 19:15
Try raising the float level slightly.

Steve

BigAl
6th November 2009, 19:16
Swap the carb for a D2 one, at least to see if it runs.

mohawk
6th November 2009, 20:47
Try raising the float level slightly.

Steve

Thought about that, but i dont think you can adjust the float level on 14mm carbs.?

Ive got a d2 carb ill try tomorow, but the only part that i can imagine would wear out on the 14 would be the needle valve. Every thing else would only ever block up.
The bike was running mint, i want to find the problem , i dont want to change anything.

Gadgit
7th November 2009, 10:24
Hay Mohawk Just had a reread of all you have tryed and have you had the carb right out?? I would pull the jet and clean the elmulsion tube out. one of the 3 holes in the brass tube that goes throuh the center of the throte may be blocked ( I would say the center one is)

mohawk
7th November 2009, 10:45
Yup, poked a mig wire through it, and blew it out. only counted 2 holes though.
Starting to piss me off.
:angry2:

Gadgit
7th November 2009, 12:27
OK may not want to hear it but you may have to dive in a bit deeper... dam but not to deep lol you'll need to check crank seals and reeds for air leaks

mohawk
7th November 2009, 14:03
Reeds.? never dun it but ill have a go.lol.

Gadgit
7th November 2009, 14:11
The reeds are simple to check. they pop out after the carb is off and you are checking for cracks, chips or bends in them also check the sealing rubber around the mounting plate for cracks. The crank seals are a little harded to check. To do it right you need a pressure gauge and seal off the inlet of the crank case but if you eyeball them once you have the flywheel and clutch out of the way you may see oil seaping out of them or cracks in the rubber this would be signs of them being stuffed.

mohawk
7th November 2009, 16:08
BROKEN REED. It was just laying there looking useless.

mohawk
7th November 2009, 16:44
So whats best. 3 stage carbon, or one peice fibre glass with the bridge cut out?

Gadgit
8th November 2009, 16:46
Had better luck with the 3stage reeds

mohawk
8th November 2009, 18:09
Better luck with power or reliability?. Im light so power isnt such a priority.lol.

Gadgit
9th November 2009, 19:02
Getting the engine running really... I was running a standed reed that ran ok then tryed a one piece reed that made the engine miss and fart around in the mid range then fitted the 3 stage and it cleaned up the whole rev range and the top end was better then the standed reed.. but every engine is different I have also found lol thats just my story... Nath fixed his Mod with the 3 stage reeds also