PDA

View Full Version : Help, clutch slipping

B.Crump
8th November 2009, 20:48
i have a tf125 that i have put an kx125 EXPANSION CHAMBER on it and it has a lot more power and now the cluch slips :mellow: at top end of revs is there a up graded cluch i can get? or is it just worn out? it is an old motor (rebuilt top end) all help will be mint

kwaka_crasher
9th November 2009, 21:27
i have a tf125 that i have put an kx125 EXPANSION CHAMBER on it and it has a lot more power and now the cluch slips :mellow: at top end of revs is there a up graded cluch i can get? or is it just worn out? it is an old motor (rebuilt top end) all help will be mint

Do you enough freeplay at the lever & actuator? Important to check both ends because something could be physically stopping the arm at the bottom from returning to where it should.

If so, start by dismantling the clutch & measuing the fibres & steels and check for any damage on them and the clutch basket & cover. Check the spring free length.

What sort of oil is in the gearbox? Car engine oil, although available in the correct viscosity, is unsuitable because the friction modifiers are not compatible with wet clutches and can cause them to slip.

B.Crump
10th November 2009, 19:58
is in the gear box there is all tho i havent checked the level yet . the cluch has plenty of pull back as in it goes back to its original position i will take cover off and take a look at it how do you remove the cluch? cheers

kwaka_crasher
10th November 2009, 21:48
ATF is fine.

How about the play on the clutch actuator lever on the box? Does it move much before coming into contact with the clutch rod? It should have a return coil spring on it to turn it back the other way to what happens when you pull the clutch lever in.

Disassembling the clutch is a relatively easy task but if you've never done it before I suggest you have someone who has done it before show you.

F5 Dave
11th November 2009, 13:19
The TF is an old suzuki design & a bitch to take apart until you sit & think about it. There is no pushrod, just a pull mechanism on the near side.

Likely just worn out, however two cheap bodges to get more pressure on the plates is
1. to fit another steel plate.
But (2) on the TF the clutch springs are threaded on & you should be able to wind them in some more to get more tension.

This makes them even more of a bitch to service but you need to get some decent tools. The springs are hooked at one end & have a pin through them which retains the plate. You need to use a spring hook or some needle-nose vice grips to pull the springs a bit while using some other pliers on the pins. Becomes easy when you decide to use the right tools, else you will just lever them & send the pins shooting across the garage & under the bench or whatever never to be found.

B.Crump
11th November 2009, 22:07
the oil out there was only about 200mls :stupid: I should have kept a beter eye on it wuld that be the problem ? i have a spear motor that im trying to pull apart to sus how to get clutch off have got cover off and dont know what to do next take pins out of springs ? it does look like it will be interesting

the clutch goes straght back in after i pull on it it seems to have plenty of pressure well i dont know what a good one feels like so cant realy compair i have quite a few tools i might try pull cluch off my spear motor then do my good motor and swap them over if it looks beter

what you guys recon?

F5 Dave
12th November 2009, 10:22
. .
what you guys recon?

I think you need to use some sort of spell checker. Most browsers have an option to turn one on.

Also answers in above post. Google spring puller, can make one from an old spoke with a filed nipple & a piece of broom handle

B.Crump
12th November 2009, 13:01
i will sus the spell cheacker lol i will have a go at pulling it off after i google it :)

kwaka_crasher
14th November 2009, 11:24
How was the cable freeplay?

B.Crump
17th November 2009, 22:00
i tryed to pull it and it was hard to pull through it has new cable now . I took my spear cluch off and put it on my good motor. it had cracks on the cluch plates (the sliping cluch) all so it was glazed on the steel plates so i sanded it off its all back together havnt taken it for a spin yet but cluch feel's much better I allso wound the springs in a bit evenly.I allso put 10 40w motor bike oil in it 800mils thank you guys for all the help cheers :)