PDA

View Full Version : Promotional Ride with ACC

Squiggles
10th November 2009, 21:24
Not to be mistaken for a protest, this is the part where we attempt to get some of our monies worth... working with the accident prevention team.

They're looking to have some kind of promotional ride at the end of the month, around the city and other places of interest... promoting good gear and being seen (i believe). Scooter riders are most definately welcome, they really want to hit it home to the scooter commuters. The police will be involved so should have a couple of cop bikes amongst us

So who will be free around the 28th (Sat)? Ride wont necessarily be on that day but who is free and willing around then?

Edit: Before i forget, you should get a fuel voucher for your support

Squigs
Rwolf
slyr
jafa
g

Ixion
10th November 2009, 21:27
Hm. Call me Cynical Sid, but will not such a visible support of ACC be publicised by the ACC , or the government , and pointed to as grounds that "Responsible motorcyclists support ACC (and it's new levy structure) ".

I know the people organising such a ride are not the same department as Mr McLea, but it would be awful hard to prevent them morphing "support for ACC " over into "Support for levies" .

Squiggles
10th November 2009, 21:39
I know the people organising such a ride are not the same department as Mr McLea, but it would be awful hard to prevent them morphing "support for ACC " over into "Support for levies" .

Yer, they're not too happy about their bosses approach as its threatening to undo all the good will they've established, i'd like to see that not happen.
To my knowledge, if any banners were displayed they'd be the Ride forever ones... (as seen @ the pink ribbon ride) Pamplets those seen on the Riderforever and that scooter site they've just setup (dunno what its called)... We'll be riding in a group or two wearing the standard visi vests etc nothing else is confirmed.

The last event we did with them is here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=86313) Not sure where the pics have gone

Laxi
10th November 2009, 21:46
Hm. Call me Cynical Sid, but will not such a visible support of ACC be publicised by the ACC , or the government , and pointed to as grounds that "Responsible motorcyclists support ACC (and it's new levy structure) ".

+1, I wouldn't be keen to support anything involving ACC at the moment!
just my 2cents

Phurrball
10th November 2009, 21:48
It would be worth pointing out the conflation of the two ACC areas in people's minds to the powers that be Les.

ACC's worthy initiatives will be gazumped by the ill-feeling that's come about through the levy proposals. ACC's initiatives to minimise injury to bikers through visibility and safety gear campaigns will be diluted by the "Anti ACC" feeling.

It's a pretty sad outcome really. One that could easily be predicted when considering reaction to the levy proposals.

(Really, the feeling is anti National Government policy and anti the proposals of their hand-picked ACC minions , but I wouldn't expect most people to make that policy/operational distinction )

Given the über-spin on ACC stats and the op-ed pieces appearing here and there in the media, I share concerns about spin opportunity, as worthy as this initiative is.

*sigh*

*Heavy Sigh*

Laxi
10th November 2009, 21:52
what ACC visibility campaign? what safty gear campaign? I dont see them spending money on tv or even newspaper ads :shifty: do you? they even have a policy to oppose rider training, because according to them it encourages speeding! screw them!

cs363
10th November 2009, 22:00

Agreed. Despite some of the good people who work for ACC having good aims and ideas, because of the actions of their bosses and the minister in my opinion it would be foolhardy to show support for them at this time.

In fact, a distinct lack of support (or better still a protest!) may stir up some action within, if indeed these well meaning people within ACC see that their work may come undone due to the actions from above.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Real_Wolf
10th November 2009, 22:10
I might come if my bike is legal and so is my license at that point

Squiggles
10th November 2009, 22:22
+1, I wouldn't be keen to support anything involving ACC at the moment!
just my 2cents

In fact, a distinct lack of support (or better still a protest!) may stir up some action within, if indeed these well meaning people within ACC see that their work may come undone due to the actions from above.

They're well aware that numbers will be reduced, but i believe they'll be doing it regardless of whether we're there or not... if we can make a good show of it, well...asides from the potential good, i'm pushing for some more rider training vouchers among other things

I might come if my bike is legal and so is my license at that point

Thats what i wanted to find from this thread... Who is still interested in attending (i brought it up a month or so ago for those suffering memory loss)

Should be meeting with Henry (he was the one @ the pink ribbon ride) in the coming week to see what we cant sort out.

cs363
10th November 2009, 23:02
They're well aware that numbers will be reduced, but i believe they'll be doing it regardless of whether we're there or not... if we can make a good show of it, well...asides from the potential good, i'm pushing for some more rider training vouchers among other things.

I understand your reasons for wanting to attend, no problem there - I think what Ixion, myself and no doubt quite a few others are concerned about is the possibility of press coverage and it's ability to be manipulated against the anti-ACC levy protests.

Some might go further and suggest that the whole ACC motorcycle safety program http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/motorcycle+safety+package+address+52+million+probl em supports the entire program ACC are currently trying to force down our collective throats to fill their coffers.

If that is a concern to you, it might pay to have a plan of action in regard to repeating the anti-ACC levy issue,should the press be present? (Using the anti levy angle rather than anti-ACC might have some merit?)
Or perhaps others without vested interests could use this as an opportunity to protest (peacefully of course)?

Just throwing the thought(s) out there :)

The Stranger
11th November 2009, 00:27
My advice is DON'T DO IT. As Ixion points out, it could well be used against you. Why put yourself and us in that position?

Slyer
11th November 2009, 07:35
Why wouldn't we do this? I like ACC, I think it's a great system compared to how other countries have it. It could use a few tweaks but still...
We want to show that we support any efforts to improve motorcycle safety, it doesn't mean we support their new proposed levys. We want ACC to be our friends, not our enemies. (Even though certain sections are being very UNfriendly.)

As long as this is a ride to promote safety and not promote the levy hike, everyone should go.
We should be support rideforever whenever possible.

Squiggles
11th November 2009, 08:27
As long as this is a ride to promote safety and not promote the levy hike, everyone should go.

My thoughts exactly..... Henry's in contact with Magnetos too so we might have some scoots along from them

The media has never attended an event before, and we'll be riding almost the entire time. Should someone want a word re ACC it'll be along the lines of The hikes are a load of BS, how about some of the directors pay goes into accident prevention events like this.

PirateJafa
11th November 2009, 08:34
I'm in, and possibly even legal.

firefighter
11th November 2009, 08:41
A worthy cause, but unfortunately I would'nt feel "right" attending at the mo. with the current issues surrounding the sponsor.

It would be like attending an anti rasicm and productivity in the workplace seminar sponsored by Harawira.

It's just not cricket.

Or perhaps we could have the Adolf family sponsor a memorial to Jews? You know what I mean? :crazy:

PirateJafa
11th November 2009, 08:55
Or perhaps we could have the Adolf family sponsor a memorial to Jews? You know what I mean? :crazy:

No.

Assuming that there were descendants (which there weren't), there is no reason to associate them with what ol' Adolf did. Just because they might be related doesn't mean that you should ignore what might have potentially been a lifetime of good work for worthy causes.

Your logic is flawed.

firefighter
11th November 2009, 08:59
No.

Assuming that there were descendants (which there weren't), there is no reason to associate them with what ol' Adolf did. Just because they might be related doesn't mean that you should ignore what might have potentially been a lifetime of good work for worthy causes.

Your logic is flawed.

Fuck up

10 chars

Taz
11th November 2009, 09:00
Can I turn up in shorts, singlet and jandals? I quite often take short trips in the summer in my shorts(no pun intended). Ain't crashed yet and I'm insured by ACC too.

Ixion
11th November 2009, 09:00
OK.

Here's a nice question

What would be the repsonse/attitude of the ACC organisers, if a heap of riders turned up for it

BUT - all wearing the "easy target" shirts, and with bikes plastered with anti-levy placards ?

Serious question.

Squiggles
11th November 2009, 09:03
Serious question.

Dunno, i'll ask on thursday ;)

PirateJafa
11th November 2009, 09:14
Fuck up

10 chars

Oh touché.

Such an eloquent and intelligent rebuttal, truly leaves me with no counter-argument. Well played, sir.

:whistle:

The Stranger
11th November 2009, 09:54
Why wouldn't we do this? I like ACC, I think it's a great system compared to how other countries have it. It could use a few tweaks but still...
We want to show that we support any efforts to improve motorcycle safety, it doesn't mean we support their new proposed levys. We want ACC to be our friends, not our enemies. (Even though certain sections are being very UNfriendly.)

You guys pay for your own education now. You sould be going your supplier under the fair trading act I think.
Those who fail to learn the lessons from history are doomed to repeat them.

Not only is this an age old tactic, but I would suggest that consider another age old tactic. Ask yourself what good can come of this, then ask yourself what bad can come of this.
The good - well I struggle to see any.
The bad - carefully exceuted by ACC you could provide the means for them to completely derail our objections - yes it is that serious.

Even if there is good that I have missed, what good can not be reclaimed by having this in 3 months?

Sure, ACC may be completely innocent in all of this and may not use it against you. But why would you take such an unnecessary risk is beyond me.

Squiggles
11th November 2009, 10:01
Even if there is good that I have missed, what good can not be reclaimed by having this in 3 months?

In 3 months is actually still on the cards, if it was to be soon we'd be looking around the 28th or 5th, if in 3 months then late feb... I'll find out tomorrow. If they havent got any new resources printed then i want to see it happen in feb

wysper
11th November 2009, 10:47
OK.

Here's a nice question

What would be the repsonse/attitude of the ACC organisers, if a heap of riders turned up for it

BUT - all wearing the "easy target" shirts, and with bikes plastered with anti-levy placards ?

Serious question.

I was thinking that too. Will be interesting to hear their answer.

motorbyclist
11th November 2009, 12:23
You guys pay for your own education now. You sould be going your supplier under the fair trading act I think.
Those who fail to learn the lessons from history are doomed to repeat them.

He's not a student, but I do agree anyway.

btw they had been talking to us about this looong before the levy announcement - so unless there's been some serious conspiracy work your theory isn't the case.

Regardless, I'd much rather do this post-december. The motorcycle community is pissed and with good reason, and even events like biketoberfest have become their own little PR disasters despite the fact that ACC support was organised many months before the levy proposal. Alledgedly some ACC staff have been assaulted since the proposal, which is why they weren't personally present at biketoberfest as planned (like they were at pink ribbon).
It may suck for the team organising this to be screwed through no fault of their own, but judging by the responses in this thread I'm not inclined to attend nor support what may be an impromptu protest.

raster
11th November 2009, 20:52
I may attend if I'm available but I'll be leaving the posters on my bike.

I'm all for some of the work these beavers do against all odds with little thanks.

It's not their falt, and to talk to some of the insiders may make a difference.

The opinion of a supporter in the lunch room of a government department has been known to make a difference in the past

Do we boycot Ride Right Ride Safe because ACC have given some support?....runs and hide behind a rock :dodge:
I know not much but "whos next".

The Stranger
11th November 2009, 21:14
Do we boycot Ride Right Ride Safe because ACC have given some support?....runs and hide behind a rock :dodge:
I know not much but "whos next".

No need of a rock.
ACC's support for RRRS Auckland in the last 5 odd yrs has only ever been to try and get motorcyclists along, in that regard they are no different than HOG, SMC or Ulysses and various other groups. We have not recieved money or input from them other than to cover course fees (even then if i recall correctly that wasn't paid in cash, but in road codes).
You will also note that I'm not saying the proposal that is the subject of this thread is somehow wrong, only that it *could* be used against us and that with current timing it could cause us (as bikers) problems.
I am happy to take a bet that any ACC involvement with RRRS at this stage would be very carefully considered also.

The other thing to consider is, by all means boycot RRRS, we don't get paid and are non profit and hey, I can always use an extra Sunday each month thanks.

MacD
11th November 2009, 21:25
My thoughts exactly..... Henry's in contact with Magnetos too so we might have some scoots along from them

The media has never attended an event before, and we'll be riding almost the entire time. Should someone want a word re ACC it'll be along the lines of The hikes are a load of BS, how about some of the directors pay goes into accident prevention events like this.

I also think that it a very inappropriate time to be cooperating with ACC, irrespective of the good intentions of the RideforEver team.

It could easily be spun into a PR story demonstrating how not all motorcyclists oppose the levy increases. Remember ACC will employ very competent PR people. The current $77 a car registration campaign is no accident. It is a classic divide and conquer strategy.

Squiggles
12th November 2009, 15:35
Postponed till the begining of the next year

R6_kid
12th November 2009, 16:34
I'd love to go along but I'll be cycling around Lake Taupo that day laughing at ACC because I'm not paying any levies for such a dangerous activity.

The Stranger
12th November 2009, 16:52
I'd love to go along but I'll be cycling around Lake Taupo that day laughing at ACC because I'm not paying any levies for such a dangerous activity.

Watch out for angry motorcyclists wanting revenge.

FROSTY
12th November 2009, 17:00
im going out on my trail bike to crash my few remaining brain cells out. after that ill be towing my race bike to the track behind my bicycle. then Ill race round the track on my race bike.
those of ya that don't know me please note this is a pisstake

Real_Wolf
12th November 2009, 17:53
Postponed till the begining of the next year

im going out on my trail bike to crash my few remaining brain cells out. after that ill be towing my race bike to the track behind my bicycle. then Ill race round the track on my race bike.

Fail
10char

raster
19th November 2009, 09:43

TUI

10Char