PDA

View Full Version : Binned Her

Danae
21st November 2009, 17:27
]:

Today I went to get a pie from the bakery near Andrew's house. T'was strange, as I left I was thinking about all the people who crash just going up the road to get a pie.

Sigh.

Coming back along Sturges Rd, just before hitting Candia Rd, went round a corner and lowsided. Lucky nothing was coming the other way. I fell off and she slid across the road, hit the ditch and stopped on the pavement on the other side of the road. I slid along behind her on my right side and stopped in the ditch. Lay there for a couple seconds thinking, "Ah shit, she's gonna be all scratched up!". Couple people came over to see I was okay, all good.

Surveyed the damage...no fairing scratches at all! I got more damage from stone chips on the way down to Wellington. Clutch shifter snapped off at the mount, mirror bent, clutch lever bent and cracked. But that's pretty much it.

I have a spot of road rash on the heel of my hand (gloves didn't stand up to very much). My jacket (which is not cordura) has some impressive rips on both elbows, and the armour is a bit ground down. I was in jeans so have a little bit of road rash on my knee. Otherwise I'm just fine.

Andrew was just down the road and came over in the Starlet to ride it back in first gear. Fortunately the pies weren't damaged! Pics soon.

So, anyone have any of the parts I need?

EDIT: pics nao

george formby
21st November 2009, 17:39
Glad your ok.Good advert for wearing proper gear even if your just popping down the road.

steve_t
21st November 2009, 17:50
Yup. Glad you and the pies are OK :hug:
Now that you need new gear, get Quasi to hook you up with some of those SPS gloves and maybe some other stuff :cool:
Do you know what happened? Did u lock up the front wheel?

shafty
21st November 2009, 17:53
What sort of pies were they?:wacko:

Sidewinder
21st November 2009, 17:56
the bike shop will have the parts you need!

Slyer
21st November 2009, 18:11
God damn corners.
Hate the fucking things.

Real_Wolf
21st November 2009, 18:24
ah guts, right before the coro too. Gonna pillion around it instead?

Glad your okay, nice to hear the bike has no serious damage, a clutch lever is easy enough to get replaced, just go shoppin at the wreckers. Mirror bent sounds like it could be no problem or a major one, if its a major one and needs replacing, cbr250rr mirrors fit nicely into the same size, and you're alot more likely to find em, and they are cheaper too

Gubb
21st November 2009, 18:30
Always blow on the pie.

Cheshire Cat
21st November 2009, 18:31
Heh heh heh. Sliding is fun huh?:spanking::whistle:
except when your get gravel rash

Those bike are made for learners! they're awesome:2thumbsup

Well done!

I hope you don't have any serious accidents:hug:

Cheshire Cat
21st November 2009, 18:34
God damn corners.
Hate the fucking things.

Do you ride a harley?

Sidewinder
21st November 2009, 18:35
Do you ride a harley?

i have a big thing between my legs and i din have a harley:2thumbsup

Cheshire Cat
21st November 2009, 18:37
i have a big thing between my legs and i din have a harley:2thumbsup

is it a..........BEER? one of the ones from a crate? :eek:

Sidewinder
21st November 2009, 18:40
is it a..........BEER? one of the ones from a crate? :eek:

was trying to hint at my package...... owell:hug::hug::hug:

YellowDog
21st November 2009, 18:51
Hi Danae - So what happened then?

How do you low side on your way to the shops?

Did you hit the front brake in the bend and put her down or did you just over lean?

gavjn
21st November 2009, 18:55
God damn corners.
Hate the fucking things.

ahhh sam... u make me lol :)

glad ur alryt tho, bike gears always worth it

nothingflash
21st November 2009, 18:57
Glad your ok.Good advert for wearing proper gear even if your just popping down the road.

Yep definitely...

metalhead
21st November 2009, 19:33
ahhh well, hope it doesnt keep you off the road too long

glad you are ok

PirateJafa
21st November 2009, 21:01
Crikey, you'd almost think that something should be have done about those roads ages ago (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=93441)? :rolleyes:

That said, i've thrashed through there a good many times at a decent rate of knots without trouble. But I know that road fairly well now, and so take the smoothest lines. Where smooth-ish lines are possible. Which isn't very often.

Danae
22nd November 2009, 00:15
Putting the pics up now

Do you know what happened? Did u lock up the front wheel?

Don't think so, I've made it a habit not to brake mid-corner

What sort of pies were they?:wacko:

Steak onion and cheese :drool:

Always blow on the pie.

Fuck, that must have been why I crashed!!

Hi Danae - So what happened then?

How do you low side on your way to the shops?

Did you hit the front brake in the bend and put her down or did you just over lean?

Didn't hit the front brake. Overlean may be a possibility.

Real_Wolf
22nd November 2009, 00:26
probably more likely to be a change of the road surface, like a small patch of diesel or dirt or something.

Overleaning to lowside requires you to either lean spastically, or lean alot more than I think you do, or else have really rubbish tyres (even with barely any tread they should still grip for quite an angle)

Dare
22nd November 2009, 10:53
probably more likely to be a change of the road surface, like a small patch of diesel or dirt or something.

Overleaning to lowside requires you to either lean spastically, or lean alot more than I think you do, or else have really rubbish tyres (even with barely any tread they should still grip for quite an angle)

You are the expert...
:2thumbsup

Real_Wolf
22nd November 2009, 13:00
yeah, with that old tyre I used to have if anything was slightly wrong with the road surface it'd decide that going forwards is boring and it wants to go sideways

Ragingrob
22nd November 2009, 13:19
Bummer that sucks... Glad your ok most importantly, pretty wicked your bike didn't really suffer either though too!

Danae
22nd November 2009, 14:22

I have heeeaaaaps of tread around the edges, it's only getting low in the middle.

sorry internet was fail yesterday, putting pics up now

Ragingrob
22nd November 2009, 14:24
I have heeeaaaaps of tread around the edges, it's only getting low in the middle.

sorry internet was fail yesterday, putting pics up now

Do you know whether the rear or front slipped?

Danae
22nd November 2009, 14:29
Pics up now (first post)

Danae
22nd November 2009, 14:30
Do you know whether the rear or front slipped?

Not sure...maybe the rear? I only remember that skidding noise tyres make (after she fell over) and the scraping of the bike as she slid down the road.

mattian
22nd November 2009, 15:28
I think I remember reading a thread you wrote about binning your scooter in the domain..... was that you? if so,... thats 2 too many Danae !!!!!!! maybe you should seek out a mentor?

Danae
22nd November 2009, 15:45
I think I remember reading a thread you wrote about binning your scooter in the domain..... was that you? if so,... thats 2 too many Danae !!!!!!! maybe you should seek out a mentor?

Yep I did indeed. But I know the cause of that one: rainy day, small scooter wheels, tar snakes and going a bit too fast for the corner.

Zuki lover
22nd November 2009, 15:49
Nice bike - glad to hear not too much damage.

Up and at 'em girl :yes:

Dodgyiti
22nd November 2009, 16:34
What gloves were they? Proper bike ones?
Worrying they failed at such a gentle slide, never had that happen even with cheapies.

Danae
22nd November 2009, 17:14
What gloves were they? Proper bike ones?
Worrying they failed at such a gentle slide, never had that happen even with cheapies.

They had bits of leather and I believe they were quite cheap, don't know what the rest was made of. Ripped a hole right through

gijoe1313
22nd November 2009, 17:21
Poopers! I think you are learning bad habits from all those dirty SMC boys :oi-grr: Glad to hear you are okay and now in the fixit mode of things! :sweatdrop

And there it was, Murphy, his friend sod and the biking gods all went tee hee when you had thought about pies, corners, crashing! :doh:

Well when you have a chance, just go do that corner again! :yes:

motorbyclist
22nd November 2009, 22:39
maybe you should seek out a mentor?

I had just took her on a week long 2000km tour of the west coast of NZ, including over 50km of gravel, and not one problem - then on a 5 minute trip, lowside. I'm a bit surprised to say the least

Cr1MiNaL
23rd November 2009, 21:40
Awwww poor thing, glad ur ok though...

gijoe1313
25th November 2009, 19:57
So how is the rider ... and more importantly the bike at this stage? :msn-wink:

Danae
25th November 2009, 21:22
I'm practically unscathed. Bike on the other hand....progress is slow. :no: I can't find an FXR clutch mount/lever anywhere, still have a couple of shops left to check. The rearset is being welded, just waiting for that to be finished. Some blingy barends are coming to Cycletreads soon, can't decide whether I should have blue or silver...

Squiggles
25th November 2009, 21:24
Rung haldanes or colemans? :)

Danae
25th November 2009, 21:56
Visited both, they can only get one shipped in for $130

Laxi
25th November 2009, 22:05

:weep:

my day is getting worse. After loosing my gloves in town today (sat down somewhere and must have dropped them)

To cut a long story short..... Stop sign at the top of a steep hill. I stop, look right (I was going left) stopped longer than I should have because of sun strike in my face, bike starts to lean a little, I go to put my left foot down, not realising the road was on quite a camber and my foot landed much lower than anticipated..... damn, bike went down, I went down. fuck I feel like such a dufus. It was quite a steep camber, so much so that the wheels are quite far off the ground. I try getting my baby back upright but shes just too heavy. I'm straining and giving myself a hernia trying to get her back up before anyone sees me :clap:
Car full of Asians pulls up "are you ok are you ok!"" guys jumps out and helps me lift my bike back upright. Big thanks from me.
mirror bent, and a few minor scratches. Nothin major. Wouldnt go into gear properly. Gear lever bent. Bent it back into shape on the side of the road and working fine now.
Oh I feel like a knob end. :spanking:

foot in mouthitis :whistle:

Number One
25th November 2009, 22:46
But did you blow on the pie?!!!

Good to see you ok and the mighty FXR will live to fight another day also

mattian
26th November 2009, 05:13
foot in mouthitis :whistle:

hehe.... I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that.
Its a dish called Karma, served with a side of humble pie :Oops:

motorbyclist
26th November 2009, 07:44
Rung haldanes or colemans? :)

didn't check haldanes (or red baron) due to driving in a car and forgetting they exist.

but yeah colemans quoted $130 to ship one in and holeshot said it would take an hour to download the catalog..... bit crap really for a learner bike not to have anything as basic as a lever available.

Action wreckers had an empty spot on the wall for one, with a note that a hyosung GT650 might fit.....

Cycletreads has a box of them but no luck finding anything with sufficient cable travel

cc rider
27th November 2009, 23:50
Good to hear you're ok, Danae

Hope you get the bike sorted & back to riding soon :Punk:

cc

motorbyclist
28th November 2009, 14:44
wooo! picked up clutch lever and repaired peg bracket today :D

The parts guy at haldanes actually bothered to search for a matching part and found one for $50 :D

PirateJafa
28th November 2009, 15:59

The parts guy at haldanes actually bothered to search for a matching part and found one for $50 :D
A $50 clutch lever? I know that larger, more expensive bikes have correspondingly higher parts prices - but a FXR? How the hell do the bucketeers survive?

It is an incentive not to bin, however.

Danae
28th November 2009, 16:55
There are no perches ANYWHERE, which is pretty retarded seeing as the FXR is a pretty common learner bike. :\

Anyways, she is all back together now! :2thumbsup I'm keen to take her out for a ride at some point.

However she still needs new bar ends and I need to replace the lightbulb

Ooky
29th November 2009, 19:37

:rockon: parts guy at haldanes is freaking awesome!:woohoo: