PDA

View Full Version : Bikers "half as likely to drink"

Bob
25th November 2009, 01:15
According to statistics published by the UK's Department for Transport, bikers are just half as likely as other road users to take to the road whilst over the limit. DoT statistics show just 1.4% of bikers tested following an accident in 2008 tested positive, compared to 2.7% of road user casualties as a whole.

Under-17s are the most likely group to drink and drive (11.8% of the total – with just 1.2% of that total being bikers).

smokeyging
25th November 2009, 02:19
It does’nt surprise me. ever tried riding pissed? now thats speed wobbles......

CookMySock
25th November 2009, 05:42
Thats a useful statistic for the ACC protest people. "Bikers are part of the solution, not part of the problem."

Steve

crazyhorse
25th November 2009, 05:54
Interesting facts

p.dath
25th November 2009, 08:31
Personally I'm much more conservative with drinking if I know I'm going to be riding. So that statistic seems reasonable.

michael
25th November 2009, 08:46
Ye the consequences are just a wee bit higher. My mate cracked his skull and broke his neck mucking around on his bike while pissed. He's fine now though, but doesn't ride anymore:(. I personally drew the line at riding with a massive hangover, did it once and never again.

Blackbird
25th November 2009, 08:53
I think that statistic is probably right, but wonder how much skewing there is within the total population? For a short time around 20 years ago, I was a junior member of the Tokoroa Ulysses Club. It seemed that most of their club rides involved stopping at more than a few pubs on the way. Wonder if it was because their membership at that time had a lot of Harleys and Harley clones?

**Sits back and waits for the outrage from Hardley Ableson owners**:whistle:

PrincessBandit
25th November 2009, 15:42
I never drink when I'm going to be riding, and don't drink much when I'm going to be driving. Self preservation as far as the bike is concerned!

I often wonder about pub crawls and how riders' bike skills deteriorate?? as the ride progresses. (But then they may be drinking lattes and hot chocolates rather than alcomaholic stuff by the end of the crawl).

Kevnz
25th November 2009, 16:15
I don't drink at all if I'm riding my bike, yep thats right not even 1.

Get a lot of shit about it from the guys at work but who cares.

I want to ride for a lot more years yet so the less risks the better.

Charlie's orange juice rules.( And you should see my complexion ! ) :lol:

AllanB
25th November 2009, 16:36
Interesting but it's a UK report so irrelevant in relationship to ACC in NZ.

Personally I never drink and ride, but I am surprised at the number who do stop for 'a' beer. Or are all those riders parked at the pubs on a warm Sunday afternoon just ordering iced tea?

NC
25th November 2009, 16:38

Yes, many times

firefighter
25th November 2009, 16:44
hmph.

Makes me wonder why myself and a few mates were stopped on the coro loop at a set up booze stop one sat morning.......

No word of a lie, the wanker made us pull over, take off our helmets, went over the bikes, and at my count let 25 cars cruise through without a single "name and address" into the machine while he harrassed us.

I wonder how many breathed a sigh of relief at our expense.

carver
25th November 2009, 17:12

yeah, its good fun

McJim
25th November 2009, 17:17
It's the reason I stop drinking early at rallies. I like to be sober when I take the to road the following day. Riding while drunk is so much more dangerous than driving while drunk which is so much more dangerous than walking while drunk. I may look funny staggering down the road at 4:00 am pissed as a fart but I'm unlikely to kill anyone when I bump into them.....now if I were to sit on them that's a different matter! :rofl:

steve_t
25th November 2009, 17:40
... just 1.4% of bikers tested following an accident in 2008 tested positive...

Maybe bikers that drink and ride are LESS likely to have an accident than drunk cagers :second: Just kidding. I don't drink anything if I ride and occasionally have 1 beer max when driving

frankhea
27th November 2009, 14:54
hmm i can see why

sleemanj
27th November 2009, 16:07
I don't drink at all if I'm riding my bike, yep thats right not even 1.

If you're mates think you're weird they'd think I'm a total fruit loop, I don't drink at all, ever.

Thankfully, it's slowly becoming more accepted in NZ to not drink so I generally don't have to make some excuse for it any more.

bezajel
27th November 2009, 16:50

Personally I never drink and ride, but I am surprised at the number who do stop for 'a' beer. Or are all those riders parked at the pubs on a warm Sunday afternoon just ordering iced tea?

It may be a UK report but I think you'd find the same here. I was trawling through MOT accident and CAS stats earlier this year for an assignment, and noticed that alcohol was much higher up the list of causes of car accidents than it was for bike accidents.

Ronin
27th November 2009, 17:02

I often stop at the pub, part of the route. I never have a beer though.