PDA

View Full Version : Noisy cam chain

swbarnett
1st December 2009, 01:19
My CBX550 has just passed 50,000km and i'm getting a rattle at low revs that is worst around 3500rpm and disappears above 4000rpm. From what I've read elsewhere I'm pretty sure that it's the cam chain. I'm planning on ripping the cylinder head cover off on Sunday to check and adjust the valve clearances. While I'm at it I'd like to do something to tighten up the cam chain. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible? Or am I looking at a replacement?

kwaka_crasher
1st December 2009, 16:14
Not a lot you can do other than check the tensioner operation - it may be seized - or replace the worn cam chain. Assuming that's the source of the noise, which in all probability seems certain.

But congratulations on being one of the few people here who seem to do any repairs or maintenance themselves. I honestly can't understand how anyone can want to have only half the fun of motorcycle ownership by only riding them.

CookMySock
2nd December 2009, 21:12
If everything looks good under the top covers, check the nut on the primary drive, and the one on the clutch basket. If either of those come loose it sounds like big-end rattle.

Steve

gatch
2nd December 2009, 22:07
My CBX550 has just passed 50,000km and i'm getting a rattle at low revs that is worst around 3500rpm and disappears above 4000rpm. From what I've read elsewhere I'm pretty sure that it's the cam chain. I'm planning on ripping the cylinder head cover off on Sunday to check and adjust the valve clearances. While I'm at it I'd like to do something to tighten up the cam chain. Can anyone tell me if this is even possible? Or am I looking at a replacement?

Hondas are known (some models at least, unsure about the cbx) to have dodgy cam chains, my spada rattled like a sack of hammers when it was cold. So you could well be on the money man.