PDA

View Full Version : DR200 - won't rev cleanly

glegge
2nd December 2009, 12:46
Well, as the title says, it wont rev cleanly, it just kind of revs up and misses and farts a lot. idles fine. when riding, of course there's no power.

after much tinkering with carb etc (seemed to be quite rich), and running without exhaust (to ensure muffler not blocked causing the problem), i noticed that at revs while it's missing and farting and carrying on, there is a lot of spit back through the carb. of course this could be normal depending on the cam timing etc... but anyway, this got me to thinking burnt valve.

anyway, i took the head off and found both valve guides are broken off just by the clip that holds them in the head!?!? ouch.
there is no evidence of them moving that i can tell.

anyway - i figure I'll get some new guides fitted, new gasket and slap it all back together to see how it looks now.

no evidence of burnt valves.

anyway - if anyone has experience with a problem like this on the DR200 (wont rev cleanly/low power), feel free to share your experience, I'm sure it will help me solve this problem (if it's still there when i put the head back on.

I notice the cam sprocket has two marks on it, i presume they should be in line with the gasket surface where the cam box bolts down onto - when the bottom of the engine is aligned with its only mark under the bolt on the left side cover.

many thanks
PS - this is a mates bike, it's quite the rat bike so not worth spending too much money on.
PPS - as you may have guessed i dont have a manual for one of these, so if you have torque settings etc, i'd appreciate you posting them.

Wannabiker
2nd December 2009, 20:49
Had the same thing happen....running rough, spitting back through carb. It was a loose connection on the ignition module under the seat...there are 3?? bullet connectors, one had fallen out/come loose.

glegge
3rd December 2009, 10:50
Had the same thing happen....running rough, spitting back through carb. It was a loose connection on the ignition module under the seat...there are 3?? bullet connectors, one had fallen out/come loose.

thanks for that, I hope it's not that simple after all i have done on the bike *red face*. still - the guides where both snapped, so the head still had to come off (phew...)

thanks heaps for your info.
cheers