PDA

View Full Version : 99 Bandit 250VZ engine noise?

The Everlasting
3rd December 2009, 17:24
Just a question,the engine is rather noisy,i'e you can hear the tappets valves etc(I'm guessing that's what the noise is),it can get rather loud especially at idle,it's running fine,just wondering if it will be a problem now,or maybe later?

Cheers.

Harvd
3rd December 2009, 20:37
How many ks? i just took mine in for a service and said i think the valves need doing, the guy said that they are a noisy wee motor especially up top. this was true and i think it has always made the same amount of noise so im not too worried about mine. However if you are still worried just go to a bike shop and ask for them to take a listen.

The Everlasting
3rd December 2009, 20:48
21,000 Kms. Anyways the suzuki mechanic says the valves can't be done,as my model has VVT. It was just getting a little louder the last few days,I'll just keep an eye on it.

The Everlasting
19th February 2010, 16:43
Gonna take it in to Haldanes for them to check it out,but in the meantime.....

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=33wrziv&s=6

That's started from cold,get's rather noisy towards the middle and end of the clip,on idle.

quickbuck
19th February 2010, 22:54
When was the last time you changed the oil????

Pussy
20th February 2010, 07:19
Seems strange that the valve lash can't be adjusted? Maybe the noise is camchain?
Gassit Girl bought a brand new VZV Bandit 250 in 2000... it had a sweet running, quiet mechanically, little donk in it

The Everlasting
20th February 2010, 16:15
When was the last time you changed the oil????

I changed it 2000kms ago,Colemans did it.

The Everlasting
20th February 2010, 16:16
Seems strange that the valve lash can't be adjusted? Maybe the noise is camchain?
Gassit Girl bought a brand new VZV Bandit 250 in 2000... it had a sweet running, quiet mechanically, little donk in it

Yeah,thats what Colemans said,but they guys at Haldanes say all 4 strokes have adjustable valves,so will take it in for them to have a look.

Oh ok,maybe I have bought a lemon then...:doh: :angry:

quickbuck
20th February 2010, 16:24
I changed it 2000kms ago,Colemans did it.

Okay then, when did you last check the level?

The Everlasting
20th February 2010, 16:28
Okay then, when did you last check the level?

Yesterday.. It's fine.

Actually I check the coolant and oil level each time before i go for a ride.

CHAPLIN
20th February 2010, 16:50
MMMMMMM the audios not that clear, but sounds like a bigends on its way out, could be wrong though

quickbuck
20th February 2010, 16:50
Yesterday.. It's fine.

Actually I check the coolant and oil level each time before i go for a ride.

A-ha,
So it is Fine COLD.
Not sure of the Bandits Checking Procedure, BUT for all CBRs you actually warm the engine, and wait 5 Minutes and check.

See, the oil will fill the sump and gearbox over night, and give an indication that the level is correct.

Starting the bike, and pumping the required oil to the heads, then waiting 5 minutes (Yes, it says that in my manual) for most (not ALL) of the oil to come back down gives you a better reading.... There will be some remaining in the head... and the rest of the cooling system... Yours uses Oil as a cooling medium right??

Now, if you haven't had to put a couple of hundred mills in after 2000k I would actually be surprised.

EDIT: The bloody Net is confusing. Some say the 250 and 400 Bandits utilise SACS, while Wikipedia says the little bikes (250 and 400) are Liquid Cooled.....
Also, I can't find a VZ (or VC) 250 anywhere.... Sort of makes sense, as the VC engine was in the RF400, which was a sleeved down RF600 motor....
AFAIK there were no variable Cam 250's....

Who knows though, not going to Japanese Sites today!

The Everlasting
20th February 2010, 17:40
Nah it's got VVT,you can hear a spring click at 10k rpm.

This is just one of a few pages out there. http://www.rideastride.com/suzuki-gsf250.html

Re the oil..it's always been a bit rattly,but I will do a hot check of the oil after it's run for a while.

BTW..thanks for your help,but all will be revealed when I take it in to Haldanes on thursday..:)

quickbuck
20th February 2010, 20:49
Okay.
Thanks for the link..... Never totally Trust Wiki ;)

There is actually a thing called SATCS (Suzuki Advanced Three way Cooling System).
Means the engine looks like it is a SACS engine, with the fins etc, but actually uses water as well.... 1.9 Litres of the stuff...

So, yeah, will be good if Haldanes can track down the rattle and fix it....
Haldanes do deal in quite a few imports, so they should be well familiar with these...

They should be able to adjust the valve clearances (and that could be the rattle). I suspect the values may be hard to find though.

The Everlasting
22nd February 2010, 10:41
Ah yeah I have heard of SATCS,not sure if my bike has it tho...

Just spoke to Ramon at Haldanes,he reckons it's too complex for them,so referred me to Queen Street motorbikes,no one there atm,does anyone know of other good mechanics?

quickbuck
22nd February 2010, 17:53
Ah yeah I have heard of SATCS,not sure if my bike has it tho...
It must have if you have cooling fin looking things on the outside of the engine, with Water/Anti freeze as well.....

Just spoke to Ramon at Haldanes,he reckons it's too complex for them,so referred me to Queen Street motorbikes,no one there atm,does anyone know of other good mechanics?
I have heard the name of Bike Doctors bantered around here... you could try him?

I'm truly surprised Haldanes don't want to touch it.... Wonder if it is because they are unsure how the variable timing actually works?
Not having a go at them, just wondering....

The Everlasting
22nd February 2010, 18:11
It must have if you have cooling fin looking things on the outside of the engine, with Water/Anti freeze as well.....

I have heard the name of Bike Doctors bantered around here... you could try him?

I'm truly surprised Haldanes don't want to touch it.... Wonder if it is because they are unsure how the variable timing actually works?
Not having a go at them, just wondering....

Yeah it does look like there are some fins on the motor....

Well I told them the problem,and they referred me on,that's as good as saying they can't do it.

I'll have to take a good look around for a mechanic that knows what he's doing.

quickbuck
22nd February 2010, 19:22
I'll have to take a good look around for a mechanic that knows what he's doing.

Bring it to me... I'll give it a crack...
It is a good 550 km ride to my place though....

Hopeful Bastard
23rd February 2010, 11:02
Just a question,the engine is rather noisy,i'e you can hear the tappets valves etc(I'm guessing that's what the noise is),it can get rather loud especially at idle,it's running fine,just wondering if it will be a problem now,or maybe later?

Cheers.

Now that you say that, Mine doesnt have the red cover as what yours does, But mines pretty loud too. I also have the "noise" at 10krpm :)

The Everlasting
23rd February 2010, 15:54
Bring it to me... I'll give it a crack...
It is a good 550 km ride to my place though....

Thanks for the offer,but I don't reckon i would make it that far..:p

The Everlasting
23rd February 2010, 15:55
Now that you say that, Mine doesnt have the red cover as what yours does, But mines pretty loud too. I also have the "noise" at 10krpm :)

Okay,is it as loud as mine? Check my video on the last page,and about half way through the video it's noticably loud,really bad on idle.

Just spoke to the guy at Queen Street motorcycles,apparently bandit 250's with VVT are an absolute nightmare,he said the noise is most likely the extra chain tensioner or something.......it'll probably cost around 700 to fix properly.

I wish i knew this before buying it! :( :angry:

He said it's possible it may blow up.

I don't really know what to do now,as he said himself it will be costly to fix......

quickbuck
23rd February 2010, 17:08
He said it's possible it may blow up.

I don't really know what to do now,as he said himself it will be costly to fix......
Just keep riding it, and if the worst happens you are better to buy a second hand, older motor.
The early ones actually poked out 3 hp more.... And they are easier to work on...

Pussy
23rd February 2010, 19:05
It may be worth talking to Ray Clee at RCM Performance.
Ray is a genius on Suzuki engines.
The VZV is a great little bike, and when running properly, the variable valve timing motor is a ripper

The Everlasting
23rd February 2010, 20:03
Oh yeah cheers!

I have sent them an e-mail,it's worth a shot since no one else want's to touch it.