PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with a rebuild

Infamy
4th December 2009, 09:14
I have a Suzuki RGV 250cc, and its rebuild time. Just wondering if its smart to try this myself or to get the professionals to do it. I don't have all the right tools but willing to buy them, if rebuilds are easy enough. Also wondering how much a rebuild costs and if anyone can point me to a good shop to get them done at (in Wellington), that would be appreciated. Or if anyone on here knows how to do them and would like to give me a hand with mine-that would be sweet too, beers and associated costs will be taken care off. PM me if you are interested. cheers.

Henk
4th December 2009, 21:31
What do you mean by rebuild?
If it's just pistons and rings it's an easy job, if it's a crank rebuild somewhat more involved. Best advice would be to get a manual if you're not that comfortable taking engines to bits. With a manual, some mechanical apptitude and enough time you should't haveany trouble. It's a two stroke after all so as long as you get the pistons in the right way round and make sure the rings locate on the pins, there are no real gotchas and if you don't get those wrong you won't detroy the whole engine.